• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grader notes question
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I thought ALL books had grader notes.

I can see a 10.0 maybe not needing notes other than perfect but everything else has flaws that require noting.

Edited by N e r V

55 minutes ago, wombat said:

So I submitted some books a while back. Would you expect notes for grades in the 5.0-7.0 range. I would have thought that was automatic. I don't show any. 

You would think anything lower than 9.8 would have notes.(shrug)

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Are grader notes free for you own submissions? I assumed they were. 

Yes. You only pay if you didn’t originally submit the book. They show up in your list of submitted books with status, etc.

4 hours ago, N e r V said:

Yes. You only pay if you didn’t originally submit the book. They show up in your list of submitted books with status, etc.

Thanks. That's what I thought. When I look up my invoice there is just nothing in the graders notes column. 

5 hours ago, wombat said:

Thanks. That's what I thought. When I look up my invoice there is just nothing in the graders notes column. 

Maybe a dumb question but you do realize you have to click on the graders notes to see them. They don’t show up unless you hit them first.

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Maybe a dumb question but you do realize you have to click on the graders notes to see them. They don’t show up unless you hit them first.

There is nothing to click. Its just blank. Hard to get a good picture, but here is what I see. 

IMG_2023 (2).jpg

2 minutes ago, wombat said:

There is nothing to click. Its just blank. Hard to get a good picture, but here is what I see. 

IMG_2023 (2).jpg

Yeah, that’s a mistake. Clickable grader notes should appear to the right of the universal line and to the left of the actual grade number. Contact them. Maybe CGC is having issues with posting them or someone just forgot but I guarantee there are grader notes to be had.

40 4/56 Atlas Comics       Universal Grader Notes 3.5 CREAM TO OFF-WHITE   Carl Wessler story, Carl Burgos cover
Steve Ditko, Jim Mooney, Manny Stallman
Werner Roth and Vic Carrabotta art
Featured on the television show ""Lost""
in the episode ""Cabin Fever.""

From what I have read from others in the comic sections of these boards, grader's notes are not always given. It seems to be hit or miss whether they will be entered or not.

I agree that anything under a 10.0 should have some notation. :screwy:

3 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

From what I have read from others in the comic sections of these boards, grader's notes are not always given. It seems to be hit or miss whether they will be entered or not.

I agree that anything under a 10.0 should have some notation. :screwy:

I had never heard that before. I’ve always gotten grader notes and would have asked if I didn’t. Does your membership level have anything to do with it or just random?

5 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I had never heard that before. I’ve always gotten grader notes and would have asked if I didn’t. Does your membership level have anything to do with it or just random?

Nothing from personal experience, just something I believe I had seen referenced before. I've been searching, but the search function is not DeadOne friendly. :cry:

If I find it, I'll link it.

Hopefully they are there somewhere. :wishluck:

4 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

A little while back, in another section, there was a discussion about this.

Thanks Jeff, that was one of them.

Here is another from a couple years ago... it echoes the same sentiments as the one from above.

1 hour ago, DeadOne said:

Thanks Jeff, that was one of them.

Here is another from a couple years ago... it echoes the same sentiments as the one from above.

Perhaps I can offer some insight into this discussion. First, since the graders are the ones that enter the notes, generally each grader that sees the book will enter in specific notes they feel are relevant to the grade of the book. But just because there aren't any notes, it doesn't mean there aren't flaws on the book. It may just be that there wasn't anything really noteworthy. Or perhaps the grader became distracted for a few minutes with something else (like someone calling and asking for notes on a book!) lol Second, from what I understand, the system for entering notes has become more automated than it used to be. When I worked there, we used to enter the notes by manually typing them into the system, and I actually used to enjoy taking comprehensive notes of each book. So it became very easy to type in things like "multiple spine stress lines break color fcvr" or "finger dents fcvr" since these are very common flaws. In my view, the new system could actually be one of the reasons the graders are taking less notes than they used to. Third, there are more graders now than there used to be. This alone would likely affect the consistency of the note taking, due to the simple fact that not everyone takes notes the same way. As I said before, I personally used to take lots of notes, but of course that slows down the amount of comics you can grade in a day, and CGC tends to be a volume driven operation. Fourth, I do understand the desire for modern collectors to know why their book received a 9.6 rather than a 9.8---a bit frustrating, to be sure. But keep in mind that the modern graders are likely grading hundreds of those books every day; unless a particular modern book stands out for some reason (like if it has twelve covers) it's usually not going to receive much in the way of notes. That's just the nature of the beast, my friends. One thing I can tell you is that sometimes a modern book will be downgraded to a 9.6 if it has a specific manufacturing flaw...the 9.8 or higher version of the book will often get the higher grade because it doesn't have that specific flaw.  :makepoint:   Last but certainly not least, the graders are human beings, and they sometimes overlook things, like entering the notes on the 75th book of an 80 book invoice. To be honest, there were times when I sat at my desk and wondered if the submitters had any idea of the amount of work that goes into the grading and encapsulation process. I think you'd be surprised at how overwhelming it can be. It actually drove me away from collecting comics for a number of years; to this day there are certain books I still can't look at without feeling a bit nauseated. Well, as always, I hope this helps some of you to understand the note-taking process a little better. If I could boil it down to a single statement, it's this: What we do here on the chat board is fun---what the CGC graders do is work.  :)