• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 8
3 3

137 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I can see Andy in his shop every time a new batch of books come back from CGC.  "Alright guys, every time you see a grade and think 'WTF were they thinking', take a pic of the front and back for the grading contest".

plus when he makes a label in photoshop and-

Went 5.0/2.5...hoping for the Andy "let's do a book that's x and the second book grade is x/2". No problem with th 4.5 over-bumped there.  Need the CGC tutorial and/or crib-sheets to understand how the Torchy scores a 3.5...I had it starting at 1.5...figured it was all there (and trying not to be distracted that at one point in time upper left corner it was graded 9.2 :insane: ) and under-bumped to the 2.5...

Take my 4 points and no negs and run... :headbang:

13 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

Went 5.0/2.5...hoping for the Andy "let's do a book that's x and the second book grade is x/2". No problem with th 4.5 over-bumped there.  Need the CGC tutorial and/or crib-sheets to understand how the Torchy scores a 3.5...I had it starting at 1.5...figured it was all there (and trying not to be distracted that at one point in time upper left corner it was graded 9.2 :insane: ) and under-bumped to the 2.5...

Take my 4 points and no negs and run... :headbang:

I mean-this is what a 1.5 looks like (shrug)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

So, I had the SA at 7.0; it definitely had issues, but it didn't look horrible, and didn't seem bad enough for a 4.5 (I think I was between 6.5 and 7, and erred up this time around). Just as a matter of personal education, since I *think* this was the most off I've been (but maybe not, who knows), could someone point out what about that made it so low?

Is that not a 2-3 inch spine-split visible on the back cover of Torchy?

My thinking was, a 2-3 inch spine split = no higher than 3.0 and that's on an otherwise great-looking book. Torchy had poor eye-appeal IMO with all the stains and dust-shadows, so I had to drop it at least another 1.0 grade.

Every one of my "-1" scores has been a GA book. :tonofbricks:

I don't think I'll ever get a handle on the GA "gift-grades" bumps that CGC gives out. meh

ETA: I think my average score for all GA books in this contest is 0 per book, while my average score for non-GA books is 3.3 per book.

Pretty clear, I do not grade GA books the same as CGC does. Either they tend to give GA a "bump" or I tend to give GA a "drop". I dunno.

Edited by jcjames

2 minutes ago, Cocomonkey said:

So, I had the SA at 7.0; it definitely had issues, but it didn't look horrible, and didn't seem bad enough for a 4.5 (I think I was between 6.5 and 7, and erred up this time around). Just as a matter of personal education, since I *think* this was the most off I've been (but maybe not, who knows), could someone point out what about that made it so low?

The SA looked pretty nice at first glance, but I think it was one of those 'accumulation of defects' deals... front cover had a corner crease URC, spine wear, and what looked like scratches scattered around the front. The back cover seemed to have some long faint vertical creases barely visible in the orange area.

22 hours ago, kav said:
22 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

4.0 and 2.0 that torch was a gimme grade.

you think that torch was a 2.0?  Have you seen 2.0s?  Missing chunks of cover, detached-

You mean like that Weird Chills with a chunk out of the cover at 4.0

Don't lecture me on grading until you can score higher than me. 

31 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

You mean like that Weird Chills with a chunk out of the cover at 4.0

Don't lecture me on grading until you can score higher than me. 

No like this.   

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by kav

19 hours ago, Point Five said:

The SA looked pretty nice at first glance, but I think it was one of those 'accumulation of defects' deals... front cover had a corner crease URC, spine wear, and what looked like scratches scattered around the front. The back cover seemed to have some long faint vertical creases barely visible in the orange area.

Interesting...thanks! I noticed the various things, and probably should've gone down a bit from where I was at, but didn't think they'd add up to hit it that much.