• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Kirby signatures rare?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Hey guys I have a question, what are your thoughts on how rare a Kirby signature is, now of course compared to stan lee Kirby is very scarce in number, but then again in a Normal level, kirby did slot of convention apperances from the 60s to his deaths I mean that's like 30 years of signing. Now I know he did not do a huge amount of cons compared to stan or anything but he did a good amount, and there were many limited collectibles which they had him sign a bunch of I mean the x men 1 masterpiece that's signed by him there was 2000 and the FF 1 masterworks was signed to 1961, as well as that pin set which was a lot too, and a lot of other things, now I know that his signature on a key book is rare but in general would you say Kirby is "rare" or "hard to find" signature wise, I mean he's no Steve Ditko! lol I own a signature from Kirby, it is a the art of jack kirby hardcover edition which was signed inside and limited to 1000 pieces.  Thanks guys!

In my opinion, I think Kirby's signature is rare, especially on certain items. As a Spider-Man collector, I've been looking for a Spider-Man related item signed by Jack for ages, but no luck (other than a few that's come up which are fraudulent). Finding sketches of his are even harder, I've been after one for some time. For me, It's hard to find a collectible signed by Jack that appeals to me, and obviously compared to Stan, his signature his much more scarce, Stan keeps signing and signing, no matter what condition he's in which is really disappointing. As for Ditko, it is becoming easier to own a signature from him, many like myself have sent letters to him, and almost always receive a letter back, signed by Steve.

On 6/25/2018 at 1:33 PM, Aliens said:

Hey guys I have a question, what are your thoughts on how rare a Kirby signature is, now of course compared to stan lee Kirby is very scarce in number, but then again in a Normal level, kirby did slot of convention apperances from the 60s to his deaths I mean that's like 30 years of signing. Now I know he did not do a huge amount of cons compared to stan or anything but he did a good amount, and there were many limited collectibles which they had him sign a bunch of I mean the x men 1 masterpiece that's signed by him there was 2000 and the FF 1 masterworks was signed to 1961, as well as that pin set which was a lot too, and a lot of other things, now I know that his signature on a key book is rare but in general would you say Kirby is "rare" or "hard to find" signature wise, I mean he's no Steve Ditko! lol I own a signature from Kirby, it is a the art of jack kirby hardcover edition which was signed inside and limited to 1000 pieces.  Thanks guys!

I posted about this a month ago. After getting verification from Jeremy Kirby that the signature on his limited edition pin set from the early 90's was legit (you can still find a couple on the bay) I picked one up, took it apart and put it in an awesome frame, pictured below. To me this is the best way to get a legit Kirby signature outside of a picture of him signing something or on a piece of art.

20180702_170724_HDR.jpg

On 7/17/2018 at 10:56 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

I believe authentic Jack Kirby signatures are much less common than most people realize.

I agree. If it's signed on the interior splash and looks like a Kirby sig, I'm inclined to believe it is real. Many of the later mass signings mentioned above are less assuring. There were rumors that family members did the signings when Kirby's health was declining and I'm not sure I would trust their reassurance that they were indeed signed by Kirby.

1 minute ago, Illustrious said:

Here's my Kirby sig (along with Stan) on the splash page to my Cap #3:

I believe this to be authentic and appears to be a later 1980s style signature -- tremulous with uneven pressure and a hard right leaning slant. I have a number of 1980s exemplars consistent with this style.

And looking at these 1980s infirm signatures is exactly what makes the smooth flowing 1990s signatures look suspect.