• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chicago Comic Collectors dinner Sat Aug 25th, 2018
2 2

47 posts in this topic

It's that time once again for collectors of all things comic to get together and indulge in dinner, drink and dance (okay, maybe not dance).  Saturday August 25th at 8 PM at   Gibsons Steakhouse, directly across the street from the convention center,  where, in previous years, attendees were able to meet and talk to such great comic luminaries as:

Neal Adams

Bernie Wrightson

Joe Jusko

Maggie Thompson

Michele Nolan

This is an evening for collectors of comics (new and old), OA, pulps, BLBs to meet and hang out, indulging our inner comic geek.  It's an opportunity for anyone to show off pieces they brought to the dinner from their collection, things they picked up at the con that day, or drool over once-in-a-lifetime books like:

Action 1

Tec 27

Comics from the top GA pedigrees (Church, Larson, San Fran, etc)

Details:  Dinner is Saturday  Aug 25th at 8 PM.  It'll be held in the   Stephens Room (also referred to as the Fireplace Room).  Doors will open at 7 PM to allow attendees to get properly liquored up before dinner :acclaim:  It's a cash bar, so don't blow all that money on comics.  The menu consists of the following:

House salad

Center Cut Filet Mignon 10oz

WR Chicago Cut 22oz

Lake Superior Whitefish

Spit Roasted Chicken

Baked Potato

Vegetable Combination Platter

*If you're thinking of attending and you're a vegetarian or have a food allergy, please PM me so I can pass that information along to Gibsons*

The cost is $95 per person. It's quite a bit of money, I understand, but you're getting Flintstones-sized cuts of beef, an opportunity to see and talk to comic book icons, and meet fellow collectors   

Payment can be done via Paypal (PM me for details)

Feel free to PM me with any questions

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones at this year's dinner

Speaking of old friends, I'd like to dedicate this year's dinner to John Verzyl. John was a regular at the Chicago dinners, and he left us much too soon. Whether John knew you for 15 years or 15 minutes, he always took the time to talk to you. Without a doubt, John had some of the best stories regarding the hobby he loved,  and would tell them at every opportunity. He had an encyclopedic knowledge about comics and comic history. I cherish the memories I have chatting with John about his Timely Church run, buying the Slobodian collection, and many other fascinating comic-related stories. The dinner will be a little emptier without John there this year :foryou:

List of people attending the dinner

TheWatcher

greggy

BitterOldMan + 2

PedigreeMan + TheEnabler 

Logan510 + Emily 

Red84

Chicago Boy

CentaurMan 

Cat-Man_America + Roxanne 

Moondog + ?

Edited by TheWatcher
Update attendance list

1 hour ago, Moondog said:

Moondog in.  Not sure how many are coming with me...

Would love to see Moondog again, but not sure if I want to swing this dinner with a family of 4, all vegetarians. ???