• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC vs CBCS
1 1

111 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Silver Ager said:

I have to wonder how many qualified graders/staffers there are out there. Is it even possible to start and maintain a grader that's equivalent to CGC?

Yes.

You just can't hire your unqualified friends and put them in positions of authority. 

On 6/26/2018 at 10:03 AM, DeadOne said:

maxresdefault.jpg

I thought is was "advertiser". Or is that the point? I admit to being a bit dense.

On 8/27/2018 at 4:15 PM, Silver Ager said:

I have to wonder how many qualified graders/staffers there are out there. Is it even possible to start and maintain a grader that's equivalent to CGC?

By the guy that established the grading standards and methods used by CGC?  Sure.

I was at the 2018 Baltimore Comic Con. It is clear proof that most collectors prefer CGC over CBCS. CGC had a constant crowd with about 10 employees assisting everyone. There was barely a line at CBCS. I dropped off a few books because CGC was slammed. Totally regretted it. CBCS had the worst customer services with two guys manning their booth. I heard chats about CGC versus CBCS. Can't go wrong with CGG. CBCS had a large following in the beginning but not anymore. If you ever want proof, just check their booth and lack on serious comic fan interest. Definitely not using CBCS ever again.

I can't take any company seriously that would encapsulate an un-witnessed signed book under an SS label. I wish that we could trust those signatures, but as was mentioned, some people have made/do make a living off of such counterfeits.

I've started collecting almost exclusively CGC Signature Series books because of their nature. Not only were they signed, but they were witnessed. There's really no room for error. The only difference between a universal label and a raw is the plastic. Don't get me wrong, blue label books are still awesome, but SS books are truly special.

Mentioned in the other guys forum my 26-going on 27 week wait and still sitting at "submitted" on the dashboard and the pressing agent posted he was "pulling my submission and sending it back, and perhaps in the future I might give them a try again....." after waiting nearly 27 weeks with zero progress. Ummm.....no

By the way....thought I'd share this here:

I watched Tim Bildhauser of CBCS stand 5 feet away from me at the Baltimore Comicon, and totally ignore the con volunteer who said "10 items per person until the line is gone" for Louise Simonson...to which Bildhauser initially assented, and then he plops 30 or so down in front of Louise. The volunteer was pissed, and got in the middle of it, and Bildhauser, arrogantly, said "I have clients that have to get their books signed!", and Louise was like "oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't know, I'll make sure we do that!"

Tacky, classless, and perfectly in sync with their mindset. If I was Louise, I would have stopped signing immediately, and refused to sign any more of his books.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

I have a lot to say about CBCS and have said some of it on CGC but CGC has taken it off and never gave an explanation. I have asked CGC 4 times and they said they will ask but nothing has ever got back to me on why. But in any case CBCS I believe is just as good as CGC but for the Customer Service, it's TERRIBLE and Petty and takes revenge if you say anything negative about them or even repeat what they told me to other members as CGC looks at it as constructive criticism and makes efforts to correct it. But for me now it's CGC all the way after having so MANY problems with CBCS. Non-Witnessed Comics is what CGC needs to get, as even none of Babe Ruths autographs were witnessed...

On 10/1/2018 at 5:41 AM, TwoPiece said:

I can't take any company seriously that would encapsulate an un-witnessed signed book under an SS label. I wish that we could trust those signatures, but as was mentioned, some people have made/do make a living off of such counterfeits.

I've started collecting almost exclusively CGC Signature Series books because of their nature. Not only were they signed, but they were witnessed. There's really no room for error. The only difference between a universal label and a raw is the plastic. Don't get me wrong, blue label books are still awesome, but SS books are truly special.

CBCS don't SS unwitnessed Comics... 

25 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

And that is why you won't catch me buying any Babe Ruth signed baseballs. CGCs signature series has taken away the guessing game of "did I just buy a forged comic"?  Too many people out there with skills to duplicate a signature. 

They had a Ruth signed ball at the last esate auction I went to . The snow made buyers scarce but I wasn't going to take that chance. Two Picasso's as well, and there are 2 Picasso's at the local "Trading Post" too. (He just signed blank paper at the end of his life.)

On 1/25/2019 at 3:27 PM, Lime Green Comics said:

I was a CBCS fanboy, you couldn't shake my allegiance. Then, after a failed website migration, lost grader notes data, still no census, still an incomplete website, countless labels, some friends that worked there treated like garbage, and finally the move to Beckett, I came back to CGC. I realized my eyes were seeing through Rose colored glasses, and no matter what happened, I made excuses, my CBCS books sold for 10-25% less than CGC cased books. I appreciate CGCs willingness to change and improve. I have countless stories having been burned by both, but looking back CGC has been nearly flawless.

Rarely has a company been so poised for immediate success, only to so badly squander and fritter away the good will of a community so completely.

This is what happens when you do not listen to, and become dismissive of, your customers.

This is what happens when you take criticism personally.

This is what happens when you hire your friends, rather than hiring competent professionals.

This is what happens when you treat people with partiality.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:27 PM, Lime Green Comics said:

I was a CBCS fanboy, you couldn't shake my allegiance. Then, after a failed website migration, lost grader notes data, still no census, still an incomplete website, countless labels, some friends that worked there treated like garbage, and finally the move to Beckett, I came back to CGC. I realized my eyes were seeing through Rose colored glasses, and no matter what happened, I made excuses, my CBCS books sold for 10-25% less than CGC cased books. I appreciate CGCs willingness to change and improve. I have countless stories having been burned by both, but looking back CGC has been nearly flawless.

It takes a lot of guts to post something like this. Kudos to you.