• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC vs CBCS
1 1

111 posts in this topic

I have never sent anything in to either company myself, but the biggest hurdle for me submitting via cgc is they don't accept discover which is my only card at this point. since I use it as my sole means of buying things, my pay coming in is used to pay the card each month. CBCS does allow for discover payments though. I suspect I would likely continue to buy already graded CGC but would need to submit via the other.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:55 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

I look thru finished auctions all the time and this trend is found a lot.

cgc.PNG

voldy.PNG

I've been seeing different results lately. 

Here's one I was participating in for instance that ended a few days ago. Both 9.2s sold for the same amount.

Screenshot_2020-05-01-22-53-01.png

14 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

every time i see a book i am interested in, and it is in a brand x holder i just think of what a shame it is, i then move on and always wonder.... why did that person foolishly submit to brand x instead of CGC?

Newton Rings are certainly a reason to consider.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:21 AM, 1950's war comics said:

every time i see a book i am interested in, and it is in a brand x holder i just think of what a shame it is, i then move on and always wonder.... why did that person foolishly submit to brand x instead of CGC?

The only difference I see is that the new CGC case is superb, and makes my books look better on my wall.

I have a Tec #38 and Action #252 in CBCS slabs and they graded exactly as they were graded by the subber. Page quality the same as well.

I agree about the old sigs scheme - a very bad idea.

As for grading - I have had no issues. I prefer CGC , but lets not treat CGCS like PGX guys - they are not perfect, but they aren't the anti-christ either.

Regarding prices - I really don't see a substantial difference in established key books. "Hot spec books" maybe as CGC seem to have quicker TAT's for happy flippers.

If you don't like them, don't use them, but there is no need to bring out the torches and pitchforks.

Now PGX and Halo on the other hand.....

9 hours ago, Beige said:

...lets not treat CGCS like PGX guys - they are not perfect, but they aren't the anti-christ either.

Regarding prices - I really don't see a substantial difference in established key books. "Hot spec books" maybe as CGC seem to have quicker TAT's for happy flippers.

If you don't like them, don't use them, but there is no need to bring out the torches and pitchforks.

Now PGX and Halo on the other hand.....

Nailed it.

I respect CBCS enough to submit to them under certain circumstances. It's more 'preference'.

Submitting to PGX is like flushing your resources down a dirty toilet.

When it comes to pressing be warned that CBCS takes FOREVER to do it. I submitted 7 books for pressing back in October in 2019 and I still have not got them. Is this usual? I will NOT be using their pressing service again if they take this long.

4 hours ago, APDallas said:

When it comes to pressing be warned that CBCS takes FOREVER to do it. I submitted 7 books for pressing back in October in 2019 and I still have not got them. Is this usual? I will NOT be using their pressing service again if they take this long.

IIRC, their pressing location is in a different state than their grading location. That's why it takes so long. They receive it in TX (or wherever), ship to to FL (IIRC), and then back to TX (or wherever).

Someone plz correct me if I'm wrong.

On 5/18/2020 at 12:47 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

IIRC, their pressing location is in a different state than their grading location. That's why it takes so long. They receive it in TX (or wherever), ship to to FL (IIRC), and then back to TX (or wherever).

Someone plz correct me if I'm wrong.

Pressing was moved from Florida to Dallas this month.  That should have a big impact moving forward! (thumbsu

Gotta love Halo..

Website not updated for a year, $55 per slab (each) minimum five books + $25 a press.

$20 gets you a book in a mylar with label only......

Grant Adey still runs it  -  claims he worked for CGC for years - turns out he only subbed books to CGC from his shop.

Fats Comics run 'exclusive' Halo creator signings - yup, that's a comic shop in Ipswich Rd, Annerley, Brisbane - which is just down the street from - *drum roll* - halo's 'office' -  situated in Annerley Arcade - 600m away!

Also just down the road is 'Comic Empire' which burned down mysteriously this year - owned by Tony Nasser - that happens to be 500m from Halo's 'Offices'

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/rare-comics-worth-thousands-of-dollars-lost-in-brisbane-shop-fire-20200102-p53oao.html

Who is - **further drum roll** - Halo's Head Grader!

https://au.linkedin.com/in/tony-nasser-53556146

And of course, the kicker is 'Ace Comic Shop', that just happens to have the same address as...................... Halo!

I'm not suggesting anything illegal at all.

But don't expect 'objective 3rd party grading' from this lot when they all are entwined like Ivy.

Makes PGX look professional by comparison.....

On 5/5/2020 at 4:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Newton Rings are certainly a reason to consider.

Apparently Newton Rings are acceptable for some. There's someone on their forum (someone I always considered a "loyal" CBCS member) showing off his CGC returns in 2 big boxes... One to sell and one for his "PC". 

I'm sure Borock or whoever just loves those posts on their forum lol