• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 129 goes from Blue 9.0 to Restored 8.5?
2 2

47 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Red84 said:

What happened is not related to the graders being tough; this is the result of the restoration check. Trimming is the most difficult form of restoration to catch so it's possible it was missed beforehand. With no image of the book encapsulated with the 8.5 blue label you will likely have severe difficulty proving to CGC that restoration did not occur prior to you submitting. Sorry to say, but you are probably out of luck. Next time you ever want to resubmit a book always send it still encapsulated to CGC and/or CCS.

This. If you were going to go with CCS anyways, I would have sent the book still encapsulated. What was rationale for you and the LCS to take the book out of the case before sending? I'd think even for shipping purposes, would be more safe to keep in the slab than sending raw. I guess the only thing could be if you think CGC might use the past grade when re-grading (though they say they'd never do that and re-grading is always done blind).

4 hours ago, CKinTO said:

This. If you were going to go with CCS anyways, I would have sent the book still encapsulated. What was rationale for you and the LCS to take the book out of the case before sending? I'd think even for shipping purposes, would be more safe to keep in the slab than sending raw. I guess the only thing could be if you think CGC might use the past grade when re-grading (though they say they'd never do that and re-grading is always done blind).

I spoke to LCS and I believe neither of us were aware that they would accept the book still in the slab. Learning situation for both of us. Thanks. I'm still speaking with my CGC contact about options, but looking like resubmitting again for 50-50.

32 minutes ago, madcircle said:

I spoke to LCS and I believe neither of us were aware that they would accept the book still in the slab. Learning situation for both of us. Thanks. I'm still speaking with my CGC contact about options, but looking like resubmitting again for 50-50.

If the book was deemed trimmed, it's extremely unlikely this decision will be reversed. And if you don't have any pictures of the book sealed in the original case (with a clear picture of the original universal label) your claim is basically unsubstantiated by the evidence...(shrug)

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

If the book was deemed trimmed, it's extremely unlikely this decision will be reversed. And if you don't have any pictures of the book sealed in the original case (with a clear picture of the original universal label) your claim is basically unsubstantiated by the evidence...(shrug)

I disagree.

He has a 50/50 shot.

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

Didn't Bob Simans have the same issue with his OO book? 

CGC will sometimes grade comics as having been trimmed that with 100% certainty never were.  The ASM #121 I bought off the rack was graded initially as unrestored, as it most assuredly was, and then on a resubmission it received a purple label and a 'right edge trimmed' notation.

If you are confident your comic wasn't trimmed, you can either resubmit it or just keep it to enjoy raw.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

CGC will sometimes grade comics as having been trimmed that with 100% certainty never were.  The ASM #121 I bought off the rack was graded initially as unrestored, as it most assuredly was, and then on a resubmission it received a purple label and a 'right edge trimmed' notation.

If you are confident your comic wasn't trimmed, you can either resubmit it or just keep it to enjoy raw.

Wow I'd be pretty upset if they marked a book that I bought off the rack as trimmed... Did you resubmit it or keep it raw?

39 minutes ago, blue_hero_8 said:

Wow I'd be pretty upset if they marked a book that I bought off the rack as trimmed... Did you resubmit it or keep it raw?

I kept it as a raw copy for a few more years, then sold it to a dealer with the full backstory behind it.

14 hours ago, faster friends said:

I disagree.

He has a 50/50 shot.

Dear faster friends: I appreciate your opinion and support for our fellow comic book enthusiast, but I'm curious as to what you're basing these odds on. Have you had this same situation happen twice and were able to get them to reverse their decision on at least one occasion? If I'm following the story correctly so far: This would mean that a one-time blue label book in 9.0 with OW/W pages was cracked out of the holder, shipped raw to CCS, given a pressing, then sent to CGC and given an 8.5, an upgrade in page quality, and a purple label...but that's not all. When resubmitted for further review, the decision is miraculously reversed and the book in question is given back the blue label. I suppose that while they're at it, they may as well restore the 9.0 grade and the Off-White to White pages and just forget the whole debacle. If you (or anyone else) are able to pull this off on a semi-consistent basis, I am, and always will be, suitably impressed...(worship)  

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Dear faster friends: I appreciate your opinion and support for our fellow comic book enthusiast, but I'm curious as to what you're basing these odds on. Have you had this same situation happen twice and were able to get them to reverse their decision on at least one occasion? If I'm following the story correctly so far: This would mean that a one-time blue label book in 9.0 with OW/W pages was cracked out of the holder, shipped raw to CCS, given a pressing, then sent to CGC and given an 8.5, an upgrade in page quality, and a purple label...but that's not all. When resubmitted for further review, the decision is miraculously reversed and the book in question is given back the blue label. I suppose that while they're at it, they may as well restore the 9.0 grade and the Off-White to White pages and just forget the whole debacle. If you (or anyone else) are able to pull this off on a semi-consistent basis, I am, and always will be, suitably impressed...(worship)  

There is not anything to "pull off."  CGC looked at it once. Saw no trimming. Looked at it again and found trimming.  It either is trimmed or isn't trimmed and absent any other information seems just as likely to be deemed either one.  For the bump in value, who wouldn't resub?  I would be the most worried that somehow the utensil used to open the inner well slipped and shaved the edge, turning a non trimmed book into a trimmed one. I have cracked several hundred CGC books and did it once.  

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

What Sean said. Plus I did not mean to suggest he send it in for review. 

But just to crack it out and send it in as a new submission.

2 hours ago, faster friends said:

What Sean said. Plus I did not mean to suggest he send it in for review. 

But just to crack it out and send it in as a new submission.

The way this is going, next time it could come back having color touch, too...  :whistle:

55 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Are you sure about this? So far, all we've heard is a very interesting story. This whole thing could be a complete fabrication for all we know…(shrug)

Maybe you should pull off your tinfoil hat and lighten up a bit