• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 8 (of 10) Results
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Let's say that you are a very consistent grader, and able to grade within plus or minus one grade every time.   Let's also say that you're equally likely to undergrade, overgrade, or get a bullseye.

Let's see how many points you would have after round 8. 

You've graded 16 books. 5 will be undergraded, 5 will be overgraded, and 5 will be bullseyes. The remaining book will most likely be over or under.

3 points for each over and under = 3 x 11 = 33

5 points for each bullseye = 5 x 5 = 25

58 points total.

What are the odds of getting double bullseyes?  1 in 9.

Quadruple bullseyes? 1 in 81

The current 2 leaders are better than this.

On 6/27/2018 at 5:15 PM, Cliff R. said:

Let's say that you are a very consistent grader, and able to grade within plus or minus one grade every time.   Let's also say that you're equally likely to undergrade, overgrade, or get a bullseye.

Let's see how many points you would have after round 8. 

You've graded 16 books. 5 will be undergraded, 5 will be overgraded, and 5 will be bullseyes. The remaining book will most likely be over or under.

3 points for each over and under = 3 x 11 = 33

5 points for each bullseye = 5 x 5 = 25

58 points total.

What are the odds of getting double bullseyes?  1 in 9.

Quadruple bullseyes? 1 in 81

The current 2 leaders are better than this.

I don't usually join these contests, so I have no stake here, but I'd like to say something in response to your comment.

I think that  what Ryan. said hits the mark. You are grading through plastic, don't sweat it.  A lot of it is guessing between two grades and you are not factoring in luck along with grading skills.

As for the 2 leaders, I only know one of them, but I've known him for years, one of the nicest people on the forum and he's a very good grader, so forgive me #2, but Go Dwayne!! great job! 

Good luck of course to everyone else as well. :foryou:

Edited by skypinkblu
extra "the"

16 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I don't usually join these contests, so I have no stake here, but I'd like to say something in response to your comment.

I think that the what Ryan. said hits the mark. You are grading through plastic, don't sweat it.  A lot of it is guessing between two grades and you are not factoring in luck along with grading skills.

As for the 2 leaders, I only know one of them, but I've known him for years, one of the nicest people on the forum and he's a very good grader, so forgive me #2, but Go Dwayne!! great job! 

Hi Sharon,

I can usually guess a CGC grade within +/- 3 grades. :roflmao:

My simplified mathematical model was just a goal to shoot for.  I'm not in the contest this year, but it looks like fun. And frustration.

9 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

Hi Sharon,

My simplified mathematical model was just a goal to shoot for.  I'm not in the contest this year, but it looks like fun. And frustration.

I can always get within 0.5, or some other number, of the actual grade.

2 hours ago, Cliff R. said:

Hi Sharon,

One of the problems is, the graders are human and therefore not perfectly consistent. The other problem is, the contestants are human and not robots;)

Huge kudos to Andy and Shin for doing the contest and of course all the brave contestants. (worship)

4 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I think that  what Ryan. said hits the mark. You are grading through plastic, don't sweat it.  A lot of it is guessing between two grades and you are not factoring in luck along with grading skills.

thanks Sharon :foryou: