• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$400 OA Page recommendations

17 posts in this topic

I just had an artist refund a commission so I want to put it into a OA pg. Looking for something that would look nice framed as I hate stuffing art into a book or closet. It's not much too work with but for those pros who like to have fun looking for OA I would love to see what you can come up with. I am not picky at all. Spend for the artist name...sure, spend for the importance....sure, size of the splash...ok. Just would like to see cool options.

44 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Thanks! Little new to collecting OA but I'm already hooked. Starting out modest and building up from there.

What characters, books, and/or artists do you like in terms of comics reading? That's usually a good place to start.

If you haven't already, give this thread a browse-

And check out O's OA Aficionado-

https://comicbookinvest.com/author/-o/

Lots of good info about commissions here-

and here-

http://www.statueforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=b3fcd0abc06cf2a8d34f1728b0665772&f=34

However, my wife and I don't typically risk buying commissions. We prefer published pieces or finished pinups that we can see before committing to buy.

What have you picked up so far?

If you are displaying artwork, the key is to know your wall space is valued and limited, so PATIENCE is going to be your virtue.

If you see something you like or know what you want and it's over your $400 price range, wait, stop and save up if it's a reasonable goal.

If you see something that looks okay, okay isn't good enough, something better will come up.

Research varied artists, with less focus on what others like or who's popular and see who creates images you like.

If you want published art, a lot of people like covers, splashes, double page spreads, etc. - - but others, and you may be one as well, focus on dialogue (back when it was featured in comic art in the Pre-Y2K era), sequential storytelling (when a paneled page can stand alone as a single page and doesn't feel like an incomplete scene that continues) or something that you like personally.  

Commissions are great at times because you get to be an art director at times and create what you want, as well as it being a personal experience, but there's a lot of OA Commission naysayers who hate dealing with some of the uncertainties of commissions, including lackluster renderings, delayed delivery, etc. as well as the investment downside of commissions not being as good as published art most of the time.

So, just be patient and wait 'til you see what you want or can afford what you want.  Go online to the varied comic art auctions as well as dealer and rep websites to window shop.

Big fan of the silver and bronze like most everybody. Here is an example of what I have in my office. This is a Heck piece I recently acquired and put a nice frame around. Nothing terribly special about the page but it really looks good when framed. I have a soft spot for Heck as he was the workhorse for Marvel most of his life. Poor guy was still doing Kirby even in this panel.

20180627_115822_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, BeholdersEye said:

If you see something you like or know what you want and it's over your $400 price range, wait, stop and save up if it's a reasonable goal. 

This, all day long. Don't go looking for  a way to spend your OA dollars. Plenty of opportunities will come along, and you'll wish you had that extra $400 spendable cash when they do.

Put it in your sock drawer (bank account).  Put more in the sock drawer over time.  But something nice at the right moment.

"Nice" can be defined several ways...but the jist is to buy THE piece, not just A piece.

Edited by Andahaion
Clarity to "nice".

4 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Thanks for the great advice. Think I'll take the advice and save up for a Walt Simonson Rampaging Hulk pg. Always loved that work and magazine (first 9 or so). 

don't know that particular segment of the Simonson market, but Simonson Rampaging Hulk pages can be had for $400?  Just off the top of my head that would surprising.

Malvin

Nice page you bought. While this is a little late, I wanted to add something. 

A great piece of OA is not necessarily a great piece of interior decorating. At least some people just look at them as black and white lines on a board which I know they think are basically dull (I won't name names here, but I speak from personal experience). So, in my view, OA for display is best when it has a big splash or action scene.  

On the other hand, really nice panel pages are something I like to study up close, sometimes in pairs or groups for comparisons. So for me, panel pages are best kept in a book.  

39 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Nice page you bought. While this is a little late, I wanted to add something. 

A great piece of OA is not necessarily a great piece of interior decorating. At least some people just look at them as black and white lines on a board which I know they think are basically dull (I won't name names here, but I speak from personal experience). So, in my view, OA for display is best when it has a big splash or action scene.  

On the other hand, really nice panel pages are something I like to study up close, sometimes in pairs or groups for comparisons. So for me, panel pages are best kept in a book.  

Well I can still count my collection on two hands.....I'm sure you need to borrow some feet and hands. What would you put your collection number at?

11 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Well I can still count my collection on two hands.....I'm sure you need to borrow some feet and hands. What would you put your collection number at?

It would, but it's not that massive. I'm a bit specialized on what I buy for me. 

But as luck would have it, I won something last night which will let me illustrate my point. My steady gf, one of those un-named names I mentioned, grew up loving Brenda Starr in the newspapers. There are quite few Sundays, weekdays and book pages which come up pretty regularly, but she pretty much turned up her nose at them because they weren't in color. Well this 11 x 14.5" drawing turned up on Comic Link, and I showed it to her. She loved it, even while she had no interest in the Brenda Starr comic book page which was also for sale and went for double the price:

RADA474A2018510_143031.jpg

That image, framed, will look great on a wall. It has sparkle and color while drawing the viewer in. Artistically, it's only so-so. The black orchid makes no sense to where it is pinned and the breast shape is unnatural. But on a wall, for the average viewer, who cares?

Edited by Rick2you2