• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR TREK IV; THE VOYAGE HOME Movie Poster painting - guesstimates?
1 1

52 posts in this topic

Hello all

Currently having a bit of a heated discussion about the Bob Peak original Movie Poster painting for this much-loved STAR TREK feature film that's due to be auctioned-off soon on Heritage.  Estimate is $40 - 80,000 which I personally feel is realistic.  I know most people here are comic-book artwork fans, but some of us also like Movie and Illustration art.

Any thoughts on the final price . . . what do folks here think it will fetch?  The seller is on my FB group.

Here's the link to the auction:

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmovieposters.ha.com%2Fitm%2Fstar-trek-iv-the-voyage-home-by-bob-peak-paramount-1987-signed-original-mixed-media-poster-artwork-40-x-57-andlt-%2Fp%2F7181-119001.s%3Fic4%3DGalleryView-ShortDescription-071515&h=AT08BTFFCRAWE99LnxxNjbnW0aC3f13uasUbV8I5iRqk82lCa02AnR8YS9ZtLNmQ1NMCqcQD2Lxppbd0fSk2UZQrzRzBGcO-StwYRUE1WQaSGCuXIuo4nBQ_ZYLapT0rWSctbS5-3xC1OfqROw0

And here's an image of the painting:

star trek.jpg

Edited by The Voord

25 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

The estimate would certainly be a record price for Peak and probably anything associated with Star Trek IV.  Captain there be whales here.  Personally I don't feel it's worth anywhere close to 40k.

Oh, I don't know . . . the original ROBOCOP Movie Poster 'original' (which was basically a touched-up photograph) sold for $47,800.  STAR TREK, I would suggest, has a much-larger following . . . and STAR TREK IV is widely acclaimed as being the best of the bunch (plus the fact it's all original painted art).

robocop.jpg

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

I have a very tight, large color comp for this movie by Peak. I'm asking only $6000

Hey, Mitch, I periodically check your web-site but see no Movie Poster paintings being listed for sale at this moment in time?  If you have anything on offer, please feel free to promote your sales on my FB group.

36 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Oh, I don't know . . . the original ROBOCOP Movie Poster 'original' (which was basically a touched-up photograph) sold for $47,800.  STAR TREK, I would suggest, has a much-larger following . . . and STAR TREK IV is widely acclaimed as being the best of the bunch (plus the fact it's all original painted art).

I think the difference is that, despite its limitations, the Robocop poster original image is pretty much the most iconic and only image of Robocop that people think of when they think of that franchise, whereas there are a gajillion different Star Trek TV shows, spinoffs, movies, merchandising, etc., each with their own associated imagery and artwork.  I saw Star Trek IV once when it came out, liked it, but never felt compelled to ever watch it again, and didn't remember the poster image even when I saw the HA listing.  Now, it would still certainly be cool to own the original art to one of the Star Trek films, but, I think with that franchise, you're kind of spoiled for choice between all the available costumes, props, artwork, toys, books, comics and other merchandise/memorabilia out there. 

Of course, if there are two people out there with deep pockets and a childhood love of this movie, anything can happen.  But, barring that, $40-$80K strikes me as being an aggressive estimate towards the upper end of the range.  I would have thought probably closer to $30-$50K.  But, that's an educated guess; you or others who are more active in this niche may have better insights than I do on this one. 2c 

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

I have a very tight, large color comp for this movie by Peak. I'm asking only $6000

hi Mitch - I saw this previously on your site and though it seemed a bit different from the final poster - but actually thought the difference was adjusted in the printing stage. now I know it was a prelim.  

I have had  copy of  the theatre poster of this on my wall since I was a teen. great movie and great image.  having said that - I am not in the market for film art.

finally -opening this up to anyone reading this - I am confident I saw this art in a photo hanging in someone's living room or basement - either here in a thread or on caf.  if anyone has the link - please post.

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

the Robocop poster original image is pretty much the most iconic

On the plus side: Bob Peak... Star Trek... fan fave... it features the main cast

On the minus side: it's the Klingon Bird of Prey (not the Enterprise)... no whales... no Catherine Hicks (not a must but she would balance out the left side)... not a key image (ala RoboCop as per @delekkerste)

If you said Bob Peak and Star Trek, I would think of the poster for the first movie, not this one.

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Of course, if there are two people out there with deep pockets and a childhood love of this movie, anything can happen. 

You'd need 2 really big fans with deep pockets to get into the $40-80K range.

3 hours ago, The Voord said:

Hey, Mitch, I periodically check your web-site but see no Movie Poster paintings being listed for sale at this moment in time?  If you have anything on offer, please feel free to promote your sales on my FB group.

As soon as I get a decent shot of it, I'll have it on that Facebook page.

14 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I think the difference is that, despite its limitations, the Robocop poster original image is pretty much the most iconic and only image of Robocop that people think of when they think of that franchise, whereas there are a gajillion different Star Trek TV shows, spinoffs, movies, merchandising, etc., each with their own associated imagery and artwork.  I saw Star Trek IV once when it came out, liked it, but never felt compelled to ever watch it again, and didn't remember the poster image even when I saw the HA listing.  Now, it would still certainly be cool to own the original art to one of the Star Trek films, but, I think with that franchise, you're kind of spoiled for choice between all the available costumes, props, artwork, toys, books, comics and other merchandise/memorabilia out there. 

Of course, if there are two people out there with deep pockets and a childhood love of this movie, anything can happen.  But, barring that, $40-$80K strikes me as being an aggressive estimate towards the upper end of the range.  I would have thought probably closer to $30-$50K.  But, that's an educated guess; you or others who are more active in this niche may have better insights than I do on this one. 2c 

The upper end is high, but anything can happen.   The lower end will, IMO, be met.   

12 hours ago, Will_K said:

On the plus side: Bob Peak... Star Trek... fan fave... it features the main cast

On the minus side: it's the Klingon Bird of Prey (not the Enterprise)... no whales... no Catherine Hicks (not a must but she would balance out the left side)... not a key image (ala RoboCop as per @delekkerste)

If you said Bob Peak and Star Trek, I would think of the poster for the first movie, not this one.

You'd need 2 really big fans with deep pockets to get into the $40-80K range.

Well of course you’d think of the first movie (and the consignor owns that one too... NFS ) but IMO the first one blows by these numbers.   

I think we can debate it this way or that way, but at the end of the day I think movie art will have caught more people's attention with results like the ET @ 450?k, Halloween at 80 or 90k, the robocop@50k, the 50s sci-fi piece (saucer-men?) that went for 110k, and others at various price points (lesser movies at prices like 10, 20, 30k, etc).   I see Heritage trying a little harder to promote these as a result and I see collectors trying a little harder and seeing more value as a result too.    Just based on it being the vintage poster art for an actual Star Trek movie from an early date, its worth the 40k based on that context alone.  

So whatever this may have gotten five years ago has to be parked. 2c  I think in the current climate, it will do well.    whether that's 40k, or 80k, is anyone's guess but I'll eat a comic book if it only goes for 20.

Edited by Bronty

Has the Star Trek II poster art ever been auctioned? That has to be the grail among Star Trek collectors easily by a mile. I don’t collect movie poster art but I would take a serious run at Wrath of Khan. 

1 hour ago, Grails said:

Has the Star Trek II poster art ever been auctioned? That has to be the grail among Star Trek collectors easily by a mile. I don’t collect movie poster art but I would take a serious run at Wrath of Khan. 

A large prelim for #2 is in the auction.

Most of these are owned by the family of the ad agency.    He probably has #2.    So no, none of the ST stuff the family owns has ever changed hands AFAIK.   Which is another reason #4 might do well.  

Edited by Bronty

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Well of course you’d think of the first movie (and the consignor owns that one too... NFS ) but IMO the first one blows by these numbers.   

The first movie was a massive bore-fest.  zzz     The Movie Poster was far superior to the dull-as-dishwater movie it promoted.  2c