• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR TREK IV; THE VOYAGE HOME Movie Poster painting - guesstimates?
1 1

52 posts in this topic

I wonder if they auctioned it off in the wrong venue?  I see that it went in a movie poster auction.  I would've expected it to go in either an Illustrated Art auction or even in a Comic auction. 

Do movie poster collectors have the same affinity for poster OA that comic collectors have for comic OA?

10 hours ago, Bronty said:

Well yeah. 2c  That’s why I have been spending my money elsewhere for a long time.   

Just curious, Bronty, when you say “elsewhere,” do you mean venues other than HA or hobbies other than original COMIC art?

Well, I meant that I’ve been buying vintage Nintendo/sega related original art for about 11 years.   Happy with the decision and way ahead value wise compared to if I had just collected comic art.

Edited by Bronty

18 hours ago, tth2 said:

I wonder if they auctioned it off in the wrong venue?  I see that it went in a movie poster auction.  I would've expected it to go in either an Illustrated Art auction or even in a Comic auction. 

Do movie poster collectors have the same affinity for poster OA that comic collectors have for comic OA?

Prop Store (UK) recently held a Movie Poster auction that offered a healthy selection of original paintings in the overall mix, so it seems like an appropriate auction grouping to me.

Illustration art?  Yeah, I could see that working for movie stuff, too.

Comic auction?  I see no connection there.

As for your last question . . .  collecting passions are not too dissimilar, I would imagine.   As with comic-book artists, the movie stuff has its own hierarchy of notable talents.  Look at the separate thread on Drew Struzan art to see where prices can go for the top talents . . . and I imagine the same applies to MTG and the kind of game artworks Bronty is promoting.

Edited by The Voord

13 hours ago, John S. said:

Imran, Imran Imran....I would expect nothing less from "the most connected and influential collector in Europe"  :roflmao:  (Cabal private joke)

So the Cabal exists then? Always suspected there was a UK chapter, I figured you, the guy outside of Tottenham Court tube station with the Golf Sale sign and the enigmatic Mr Melchior were all members...

13 hours ago, t3quila said:

So the Cabal exists then? Always suspected there was a UK chapter, I figured you, the guy outside of Tottenham Court tube station with the Golf Sale sign and the enigmatic Mr Melchior were all members...

Don't know about Melchoir, but the guy with the Golf Sign is a definite.