• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimmed or Miscut?

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, blue_hero_8 said:

The PGX 8.5 has a right edge that's inconsistent with 1974/5 Marvel production. Highly suspect. No roll, lays flat, and yet, the pages extend beyond the level of the cover. Very unusual. In my opinion, trimmed, front cover only, right edge. The CGC examples are fine.

26 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The PGX 8.5 has a right edge that's inconsistent with 1974/5 Marvel production. Highly suspect. No roll, lays flat, and yet, the pages extend beyond the level of the cover. Very unusual. In my opinion, trimmed, front cover only, right edge. The CGC examples are fine.

I saw one or two threads mentioning about switching from PGX to CGC. Some ended up with restoration. PGX has reputation for dishonest about the restoration or missed them.

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

I saw one or two threads mentioning about switching from PGX to CGC. Some ended up with restoration. PGX has reputation for dishonest about the restoration or missed them.

I'm fairly certain that right edge would ring all the alarm bells at the CGC, they'll catch this on sight. It's a silver age edge on a mid bronze age book. The twain shouldn't meet.

On ‎2018‎/‎06‎/‎27 at 7:20 PM, blue_hero_8 said:

production of books has lots of variables. Hulk 181 is notorious for differences in registration of the cover. Some are perfectly centered, others have lots of white at the spine, others have more image at the top, others have more image at the bottom. Some are deep dark red, others are more orange in color.

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

production of books has lots of variables. Hulk 181 is notorious for differences in registration of the cover. Some are perfectly centered, others have lots of white at the spine, others have more image at the top, others have more image at the bottom. Some are deep dark red, others are more orange in color.

But they're all cut on the same machinery. And that right edge is not. It's self-evident. Try finding a blue label CGC graded Hulk 181 in VF or better (no spine roll and perfectly flat) that has a "Silver age cut right edge". That is, the front cover stopping way short of the inside pages on the right edge and the pages of the right edge visible at a slight angle (a tilt to the cover edge of between 1 and 2 degrees out of parallel). Then post it here once found.

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

But they're all cut on the same machinery. And that right edge is not. It's self-evident. Try finding a blue label CGC graded Hulk 181 in VF or better (no spine roll and perfectly flat) that has a "Silver age cut right edge". That is, the front cover stopping way short of the inside pages on the right edge and the pages of the right edge visible at a slight angle (a tilt to the cover edge of between 1 and 2 degrees out of parallel). Then post it here once found.

I am not talking at all about the PGX book, just in general.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Oh. I assumed you were talking about the item of the thread subject. Mea culpa!

You mean this:

On 6/27/2018 at 8:20 PM, blue_hero_8 said:

Hulk 181s. Some have more of the Hulk's foot and Wendigo's foot and some have more red up at the top. Are these just miscut badly?

? Which is the same question he asked here.

You're the one who went off on a tangent. Maybe you should read more carefully instead of trying to show off what you think you know.

9 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You mean this:

You're the one who went off on a tangent. Maybe you should read more carefully instead of trying to show off what you think you know.

There's no tangent. There are links to three books posted and the subject of the thread is: Trimmed or miscut?

The two non-PGX examples do not look trimmed based on the scans. Not any of the edges. However, the right edge of the PGX Hulk 181 most assuredly is. The front cover only.

So I ask you. In your rush to condemn anything and everything that I post on any subject whatsoever, how do you explain my writing that the Hulk 181 PGX 8.0 is trimmed in a thread about trim or miscut is way out on a tangent?

I'm not as smart as you are. Not by a long shot, so please explain to me how I'm off topic discussing trim on a book pictured in the first post in a thread named "trimmed or miscut"? And with my incredibly diminished mental abilities, by comparison, I'll try my best to understand your illuminating explanation, as difficult for me as that will be.

Edited by James J Johnson

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

as difficult for me as that will be

Obviously, if you couldn't understand that he was talking about the tops and bottoms of the books.

On 6/27/2018 at 8:20 PM, blue_hero_8 said:

Check out the bottom of these Hulk 181s. Some have more of the Hulk's foot and Wendigo's foot and some have more red up at the top. Are these just miscut badly?

10 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You mean this:

Here it is. Let me try to be clear:

Title of thread: Trimmed or miscut?

Link to one of the three books referenced in the lead post, matter of fact, the first Hulk 181 linked:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=776447       

Perfectly relevant. The right edge is trimmed. The fact that he didn't ask about the right edge is irrelevant. If he's asking about trim, which is the title of the thread, then yes, the right edge of this book directly linked in this thread is trimmed.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Obviously, if you couldn't understand that he was talking about the tops and bottoms of the books.

And I'm talking about the right edge. Trimmed or miscut? Books have right edges also. No?

That's like asking someone if they were hit by a car and they say no. It was an SUV.

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I understand. But books have three edges. Because the OP didn't ask if the right edge was trimmed doesn't mean it can't be mentioned, does it?

Just now, James J Johnson said:

I understand. But books have three edges. Because the OP didn't ask if the right edge was trimmed doesn't mean it can't be mentioned, does it?

:facepalm: He wasn't asking about the specific books. They were merely examples of different cuts showing different amounts of art at the top and bottom.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm: He wasn't asking about the specific books. They were merely examples of different cuts showing different amounts of art at the top and bottom.

And one of them is trimmed on the right edge. So he got more than his money's worth. I shouldn't post? Is that your argument?

15 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I do understand. You didn't realiuze about the front cover trimmed right edge on that PGX 8.0 Hulk 181. Thing of it is, I would have seen that from across the street, guess I'm just sensitive to it. mid-Bronze age books with the right edge symmetry of Silver age books should give anyone pause. Take a closer look at that PGX example and compare it to Universal label high grade CGC H 181s without rolled spines. The CGC does not make errors like that on trim. You'll learn.  :foryou:

Edited by James J Johnson

On 6/29/2018 at 6:34 PM, James J Johnson said:

I do understand. You didn't realiuze about the front cover trimmed right edge on that PGX 8.0 Hulk 181. Thing of it is, I would have seen that from across the street, guess I'm just sensitive to it. mid-Bronze age books with the right edge symmetry of Silver age books should give anyone pause. Take a closer look at that PGX example and compare it to Universal label high grade CGC H 181s without rolled spines. The CGC does not make errors like that on trim. You'll learn.  :foryou:

I didn't even look at any of the links. I just viewed this thread to see if this was the same question that I answered in the BA forum.

I wouldn't deal with PGX or tell anybody else to do so. Like anybody else who has been paying attention, I don't trust them for many reasons. Based on things you've posted, I also wouldn't trust your opinion of a comic.

CGC doesn't make errors on trimming (missing or falsely identifying it)? Of course not! Never have, never will! lol