• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventure Comics #80 (Rockford Pedigree) Grading Thoughts???

4 posts in this topic

Hello and thanks to anyone who feels obligated or bored enough to answer....

So my question is my father and I took a flyer and possibly an educated guess on a high end book. It's encapsulated in the "old blue label" and is from a prominent collection (Rockford Pedigree) which I cant wait to share the before and afters from CCS & CGC. The graders notes are listed below was wondering what anyone might think of the overall chances for increase in grade given the type of imperfections. We feel there is room for improvement but its really a shoot I guess.

Regards,

Jason

Pedigree: Rockford
Page Quality: OFF-WHITE
Grade Date: 05/21/2002
Category:

Universal

Art Comments:

Jack Kirby and Alfred Bester stories
Jack Burnley, Bernard Baily and Mort
Meskin art, Jack Kirby cover and art

Key Comments:

Last Manhunter by Simon and Kirby.
Last Starman by Jack Burnley.

Grader Notes: Left Top Back Cover Crease
Left Top Back Cover Lite Bend
Right Bottom Front Cover Small Crease
Right Center Front Cover Lite Shadow
Spine Stress Lines

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, batmanfan13 said:

Hello and thanks to anyone who feels obligated or bored enough to answer....

So my question is my father and I took a flyer and possibly an educated guess on a high end book. It's encapsulated in the "old blue label" and is from a prominent collection (Rockford Pedigree) which I cant wait to share the before and afters from CCS & CGC. The graders notes are listed below was wondering what anyone might think of the overall chances for increase in grade given the type of imperfections. We feel there is room for improvement but its really a shoot I guess.

Regards,

Jason

Pedigree: Rockford
Page Quality: OFF-WHITE
Grade Date: 05/21/2002
Category:

Universal

Art Comments:

Jack Kirby and Alfred Bester stories
Jack Burnley, Bernard Baily and Mort
Meskin art, Jack Kirby cover and art

Key Comments:

Last Manhunter by Simon and Kirby.
Last Starman by Jack Burnley.

Grader Notes: Left Top Back Cover Crease
Left Top Back Cover Lite Bend
Right Bottom Front Cover Small Crease
Right Center Front Cover Lite Shadow
Spine Stress Lines

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

This looks like a really good candidate for a grade bump from a press.  No color breaking creases mentioned, no tears, and while I don't agree with CGCs typical forgiveness of shadows ...I don't see that defect holding the grade down too bad because they generally don't seem to penalize much for it.  Only thing I'd be worried about is that CGC is just in a historically tight grading period right now.  I'd say its a good gamble, and will be interested to see if it pays off for you.

I disagree. Its at least $50 to press and grade this book. There is a good chance it will come back a lower grade.

If you want a new holder just send it in for a re-holder, but this is not a good candidate for a bump. Im surprised it got an 8.5 with that dust shadow.

I suggest you leave it as is.

27 minutes ago, faster friends said:

I disagree. Its at least $50 to press and grade this book. There is a good chance it will come back a lower grade.

If you want a new holder just send it in for a re-holder, but this is not a good candidate for a bump. Im surprised it got an 8.5 with that dust shadow.

I suggest you leave it as is.

Eh we’ll see.  As I said I don’t agree with CGCs grading on shadows, but You don’t have to look too hard on HAs auction history to see plenty of examples of GA books graded even as high as 9.6 that have book length edge shadows even.

If the OPs intent is to flip this book I’d say it’s a good candidate.  If this is a keeper for the personal collection  I wouldn’t bother, or wouldn’t have paid an 8.5 price to begin with.