• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting Copper Age Keys

48 posts in this topic

I’m submitting 12 issues of the same Copper Age key Issue for CGC grading. IMO, ten of them look to be 9.8 worthy and some of those have the tiniest of defects including extremely slight NCB bends.

I’m looking for opinions on whether to submit all or some to CCS beforehand to press out these flaws and possible ones that I’ve missed. I’m concern about needlessly pressing books that will achieve 9.8’s on their own. On the other hand, I don’t want to miss something and be downgraded for a pressable defect.

I’m guessing that CCS presses every book submitted whether it needs it or not. Is there a way to have them pre-screened and then pass the non-9.8s along for a press, then along to grading?

I read their site and it didn’t answer my questions, hence I posted here. At your suggestion, I re-read the site and still it does not adresss my issue.

Thanks for the useless answer and wasting my time. If you don’t know the answer, why even bother responding?

From their site (seems to answer your screening question)

CCS offers a Screening service to determine whether your comic book is a suitable candidate for pressing, restoration or restoration removal. The screening fee is 1% of the fair market value ($10 minimum) of the comic at the time of screening.

Raw books, CGC-certified books and non CGC-certified books may be evaluated by CCS. The CCS Screening service determines whether pressing should be performed. If CCS believes that pressing would not benefit the comic, you will pay only the screening fee. If CGC-certified books submitted for screening are rejected, CCS will return the book in the CGC holder. Non CGC-certified books will be assessed through the holder, and if they are rejected they will be returned in the same holder.

If multiple comics are submitted for screening but only a portion are deemed suitable press candidates, those not receiving service will be held until pressing is complete. This allows the entire order to be transferred to CGC together.

3 hours ago, rpcgc said:

I read their site and it didn’t answer my questions, hence I posted here. At your suggestion, I re-read the site and still it does not adresss my issue.

Thanks for the useless answer and wasting my time. If you don’t know the answer, why even bother responding?

Yes, definitely him wasting our time.

Alright, looks like there are some of you sticking up for your sorority sisters and rightfully so.

Let me address each one of you one by one.

3 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

From their site (seems to answer your screening question)

CCS offers a Screening service to determine whether your comic book is a suitable candidate for pressing, restoration or restoration removal.

@Hey Kids, Comics!

Thanks for the reply and the copy & paste. However, like I said, I read and re-read the site and I'm not asking whether these are suitable candidates for pressing, restoration or restoration removal.

2 hours ago, revat said:

Nobody knows the site better than him.  And it wasn't helpful, even though it seems to answer the question in its entirety... 

We have better boats, better apartments, and more money...They're the real elite, just like us.

@revat

The site doesn't answer my question at all, never mind "in its entirety"... As for your the rest of your comment, too political.

2 hours ago, faster friends said:

If you only have 12 copper books just have them pressed. Its not that much money for coppers to be pressed.

@faster friends

Yes, I asked for "opinions on whether to submit all or some to CCS beforehand" and @faster friends gave a normal answer and it's appreciated.

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:That's art, right there. :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: 

@Martin Sinescu

Too political.

Edited by rpcgc

33 minutes ago, rpcgc said:

Thanks for the reply and the copy & paste. However, like I said, I read and re-read the site and I'm not asking whether these are suitable candidates for pressing, restoration or restoration removal.

You specifically asked  'Is there a way to have them pre-screened and then pass the non-9.8s along for a press, then along to grading?' Isn't that the same as asking if these are suitable candidates for pressing ? The quote from the site specifically answers your question.  'If multiple comics are submitted for screening but only a portion are deemed suitable press candidates, those not receiving service will be held until pressing is complete. This allows the entire order to be transferred to CGC together.

In summary, you send all 12 of your books to CCS for a precreen and you get exactly what you desired. BTW, the Boards are bombarded with newbie questions that can easily be answered by simply looking at the CGC website. In your case, I believe you looked but couldn't find it but many are just being lazy and want us to perform the legwork. The Boards is a great source of knowledge. You can learn a lot here but it helps to play nice.

23 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You specifically asked  'Is there a way to have them pre-screened and then pass the non-9.8s along for a press, then along to grading?' Isn't that the same as asking if these are suitable candidates for pressing ? The quote from the site specifically answers your question.  'If multiple comics are submitted for screening but only a portion are deemed suitable press candidates, those not receiving service will be held until pressing is complete. This allows the entire order to be transferred to CGC together.

In summary, you send all 12 of your books to CCS for a precreen and you get exactly what you desired. BTW, the Boards are bombarded with newbie questions that can easily be answered by simply looking at the CGC website. In your case, I believe you looked but couldn't find it but many are just being lazy and want us to perform the legwork. The Boards is a great source of knowledge. You can learn a lot here but it helps to play nice.

@Bomber-Bob

Thanks for your help, but the CCS site states that it screens to "determine whether your comic is a suitable candidate for pressing"", not whether it will achieve a certain minimum grade (i.e. 9.8). What I am asking is whether I can have them screened for grade, not "press candidate", then sent to CCS, then sent to be slabbed (all while staying in CGC/CCS possession and not mailed back to me until final encapsulation). Nowhere is this answered, that is why I opted to post on the boards.

I am not a newbie and I was reluctant to post on the board because over the years I have seen how people with low post counts are treated and alas it happened to me anyway on the first reply to my post.

Edited by rpcgc

7 hours ago, rpcgc said:

I’m submitting 12 issues of the same Copper Age key Issue for CGC grading. IMO, ten of them look to be 9.8 worthy and some of those have the tiniest of defects including extremely slight NCB bends.

I’m looking for opinions on whether to submit all or some to CCS beforehand to press out these flaws and possible ones that I’ve missed. I’m concern about needlessly pressing books that will achieve 9.8’s on their own. On the other hand, I don’t want to miss something and be downgraded for a pressable defect.

I’m guessing that CCS presses every book submitted whether it needs it or not. Is there a way to have them pre-screened and then pass the non-9.8s along for a press, then along to grading?

By the way, with the way CGC is grading right now, no way do you have 9.8 worthy books if the books have slight NCB bends.

10 hours ago, rpcgc said:

@Bomber-Bob

Thanks for your help, but the CCS site states that it screens to "determine whether your comic is a suitable candidate for pressing"", not whether it will achieve a certain minimum grade (i.e. 9.8). What I am asking is whether I can have them screened for grade, not "press candidate", then sent to CCS, then sent to be slabbed (all while staying in CGC/CCS possession and not mailed back to me until final encapsulation). Nowhere is this answered, that is why I opted to post on the boards.

I am not a newbie and I was reluctant to post on the board because over the years I have seen how people with low post counts are treated and alas it happened to me anyway on the first reply to my post.

I think we are taking different routes to get to the same location. No, I don't think you can take your 'route'. First off, the CGC prescreen requires a minimum number of books. Maybe 25(?), but definitely more than 12. If this was a Walkthrough of a high grade book you may be able to go from CGC back to CCS but otherwise it's not typically done. Second, for insurance reasons, CGC does not typically hold onto books to accommodate one shipment. Taking my 'route', if your book is not suitable for a pressing, then it wouldn't help to send it from CGC to CCS . Lastly, I don't think it's a good idea to send in 12 copies of the same book trying to get all 9.8's. Some will naturally be better than others, maybe even subtle bindery differences and unless the grader feels like giving out 9.9's that day, it's more probable those 'lesser' books will be knocked down to 9.6's. 

You essentially asked the stranger on the barstool next to you,

OP:  "It looks like this restaurant serves French fries and has truffle dishes, can I get truffle fries?"

Stranger:  "Check the menu."

OP:   "I read the menu, didn't say.  Thanks for the terrible advice"

Stranger: "The menu says it has fries, sweet potato fries, and criss-cut fries"

OP:  " I read the menu.  You're not helpful"

But is it terrible advice?  You think its obvious to others that you read the menu.  But most would think it would be even more obvious for you to call CGC/CCS first (or ask the waiter) about a special request, but you didn't do that. 

And you think you're somehow entitled to the advice of strangers without putting in the barest most obvious modicum of work in on your own FIRST (calling CGC/CCS).   

Here's the real advice:  Call CCS/CGC and ask your question.  They're paid to help you and for sure can give better answers on off-menu items.  Or if you want keep asking on the threads, ask better questions.

Edited by revat

14 hours ago, joecgcmaniac said:

By the way, with the way CGC is grading right now, no way do you have 9.8 worthy books if the books have slight NCB bends.

(shrug) I just had the results posted from my latest group, and the grades on all of them came in at or higher than I was expecting except for one - it came back as a 9.6 instead of a 9.8 :censored: Thereare a couple of 9.8s that were a very pleasant surprise on books I had pegged as 9.4 going in, so I will take that drop to a 9.6 on the one book. lol 

18 hours ago, faster friends said:

If you only have 12 copper books just have them pressed. Its not that much money for coppers to be pressed.

+1 

Best post above. Just press them first and send them in.

55 minutes ago, kimik said:

(shrug) I just had the results posted from my latest group, and the grades on all of them came in at or higher than I was expecting except for one - it came back as a 9.6 instead of a 9.8 :censored: Thereare a couple of 9.8s that were a very pleasant surprise on books I had pegged as 9.4 going in, so I will take that drop to a 9.6 on the one book. lol 

Yes, your books came back better than expected, but you're a tight grader. Somehow I doubt that the OP grades as tightly as you do. hm

3 hours ago, revat said:

You essentially asked the stranger on the barstool next to you,

OP:  "It looks like this restaurant serves French fries and has truffle dishes, can I get truffle fries?"

Stranger:  "Check the menu."

OP:   "I read the menu, didn't say.  Thanks for the terrible advice"

Stranger: "The menu says it has fries, sweet potato fries, and criss-cut fries"

OP:  " I read the menu.  You're not helpful"

But is it terrible advice?  You think its obvious to others that you read the menu.  But most would think it would be even more obvious for you to call CGC/CCS first (or ask the waiter) about a special request, but you didn't do that. 

And you think you're somehow entitled to the advice of strangers without putting in the barest most obvious modicum of work in on your own FIRST (calling CGC/CCS).   

Here's the real advice:  Call CCS/CGC and ask your question.  They're paid to help you and for sure can give better answers on off-menu items.  Or if you want keep asking on the threads, ask better questions.

@revat

I DID call CGC and they are the ones who actually suggested posting on the boards, suggesting that other members may have some experience with making this work.

Your original reply stated that the site "seems to answer the question in its entirety".

Now you're conceding to the fact that the site doesn't answer it at all. You obviously don't mind losing.

Your responses are irrelevant and truly useless.

Edited by rpcgc

1 hour ago, joecgcmaniac said:

Yes, your books came back better than expected, but you're a tight grader. Somehow I doubt that the OP grades as tightly as you do. hm

@joecgcmaniac

Unfounded nonsense.