• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Harlan Ellison
2 2

38 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2018 at 12:09 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Vic And Blood? A.k.a. 'A Boy and his Dog'?   Did he do more stories with Corben?  Worked very well together in that particular story's post-apocalyptic setting.

Also, two of the best and most memorable Outer Limits episodes written by him; 'Soldier' and 'Demon With a Glass Hand'.   Very influential, of course.

I'll be honest and say that I've never read any of his prose work.  Should've.

Sad news.

Was vic and blood all they did together? I always thought it was more. Maybe due to Harlan prefacing some Corben stuff.

Corben has illustrated many short stories. Some of that maybe HE ? Help me out here ...

As a kid I can remember him hosting a marathon of The Prisoner on the sci-fi channel.  I came across "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" later on in high school and that really blew me away.  Hope to read more of his stuff someday.  Unique, amazing writer,,,Rest in peace, sir. 

2 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Was vic and blood all they did together? I always thought it was more. Maybe due to Harlan prefacing some Corben stuff.

Corben has illustrated many short stories. Some of that maybe HE ? Help me out here ...

I'm a huge Corben fan. I bought Vic and Blood at the time specifically because it was a Corben + Ellison combination, so I was hoping you'd be the one to point me in the direction of something maybe a bit obscure that I'd missed. Couldn't find anything by Googling.

On 6/30/2018 at 8:16 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I'm a huge Corben fan. I bought Vic and Blood at the time specifically because it was a Corben + Ellison combination, so I was hoping you'd be the one to point me in the direction of something maybe a bit obscure that I'd missed. Couldn't find anything by Googling.

Corben is the friggin Michelangelo of horror and the grotesque ....

I looked through and I theres no Ellison collaboration apart from VaB...

On 7/2/2018 at 4:09 PM, Brian48 said:

RIP.  Still the best Outer Limits episode ever. 

trent_consuelo_hand.png

One of the best. The first Outer Limits episode I saw as a kid back in the late 70s, and the most significant episode in that series for me.

Not a bad place to start.:smile:

On 7/2/2018 at 10:37 PM, Mr bla bla said:

Corben is the friggin Michelangelo of horror and the grotesque ....

Yup. One of the three greatest horror comic artists of all time for me ; Ingels, Wrightson, Corben.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I didn't know him but I sure did liked his style. Comic book collector too. For my college final I illustrated his short story 'Life-Hutch.' Ended getting a B. He took a meeting with that 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' guy, Irwin ??? ... Allen... and threw the model of the SeaView out the window during a tizzy fit? Married about five or six times. Feisty guy! RIP

Comics Journal 53. 1980.jpeg

Science Fantasy & Fiction 1977.jpeg

Weird Science-Fantasy 24.jpg

Edited by BustedFlush
Wanted to add a pic

On ‎2018‎/‎07‎/‎02 at 9:09 AM, Brian48 said:

RIP.  Still the best Outer Limits episode ever. 

trent_consuelo_hand.png

If that image is Demon With A Glass Hand I just read the graphic novel last night. Great story!

Edited by Artboy99

11 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

this is a wonderful book. I love the 3D pages with 3D glasses included! Signed by Harlan Ellison

1530591072337530459770.jpg

15305910966901026367146.jpg

1530591130819515990606.jpg

1530591162310789632609.jpg

1530591200134326534259.jpg

15305912540211381345786.jpg

You're lucky there.  I only have the trade paperback version.  It's great.:smile:

I found it the very first time I went to Manchester to look for comic books as a kid, moving away from being restricted just to patchily-distributed pence copy Marvels and DCs to finding out where comic marts were being held and, consequently, to a greater availability of back issues and imports.  A key point in my development as a collector, and a very fond memory, around the same time as I first saw Ellison's Outer Limits episodes on BBC2 here, as well.

I also have DC's 'Demon With A Glass Hand' comics adaptation by Marshall Rogers, which is a great read too.

7 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

You're lucky there.  I only have the trade paperback version.  It's great.:smile:

I found it the very first time I went to Manchester to look for comic books as a kid, moving away from being restricted just to patchily-distributed pence copy Marvels and DCs to finding out where comic marts were being held and, consequently, to a greater availability of back issues and imports.  A key point in my development as a collector, and a very fond memory, around the same time as I first saw Ellison's Outer Limits episodes on BBC2 here, as well.

I also have DC's 'Demon With A Glass Hand' comics adaptation by Marshall Rogers, which is a great read too.

The book came in the recent collection Dave and I bought. There were 2 of those hardcover copies in the collection actually, both signed copies numbers 638, 639. There was also the TPB version.

As to Demon With A Glass hand, I just read it yesterday! The graphic novel adaptation also came in the collection. Was going through some stuff in the collection and due to the recent passing of Harlan the graphic novel jumped out at me so I pulled it from a pile to read it. Glad I did, very cool story.

I have never watched The Outer Limits, so I had never seen this story before.

Edited by Artboy99