• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2020 at 9:02 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

Captain Marvel didn't convey any human emotion for about 95% of the film - which is part of why it's mediocre.

Captain Marvel is one of the few MCU films where the characters make actual connections with each other as opposed to spending the whole movie trying to one up each other. 
Besides the scene where Steve and Sam first meet in Winter Soldier, the entire film consists of Steve or Fury or Natasha trying to get the jump on one another. Civil War takes that to another level. In the Iron Man movies, nobody really trusts Stark, not even Pepper as she constantly berates him. T’Challa is too cool collected and kingly to truly connect with anyone in the film. It seems the only REAL relationship he has is with his sister Shuri. All the Guardians of the Galaxy do is argue with one another. Rocket and Yondu probably formed the strongest relationship on screen. Thor Ragnarok isn’t bad although the relationship Odinson develops with Banner or brother Loki is more like Abbot and Costello, endearing but more comedic than emotional. 
Avengers Endgame finally gives us an ensemble Avengers film with human beings trying to connect. We finally see Clint and Natasha’s friendship on screen. We finally see Stark as an actual human being with his daughter and father. We finally get to see Steve Rogers relax his guard a bit. Thor with his mother.

The first Thor movie is pretty good as Odinson is forced to find his softer side as he connects with Jane Foster and Dr Selvig and learns to see Loki as an actual brother. It’s one of the few MCU films where the character arc IS the movie.

In Captain Marvel, although there’s distrust between Carol and Fury at the start, they form a partnership where they actually connect as they road trip together though it does stay light-hearted and lacks tears and gnashing of teeth with good reason (Endgame was around the corner). Carol and Maria make a true human connection as Carol searches for the power core but finds her humanity. And ironically, the deviant Skrull Talos turns out to be the most trustworthy of all. 

12 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Captain Marvel is one of the few MCU films where the characters make actual connections with each other as opposed to spending the whole movie trying to one up each other. 
Besides the scene where Steve and Sam first meet in Winter Soldier, the entire film consists of Steve or Fury or Natasha trying to get the jump on one another. Civil War takes that to another level. In the Iron Man movies, nobody really trusts Stark, not even Pepper as she constantly berates him. T’Challa is too cool collected and kingly to truly connect with anyone in the film. It seems the only REAL relationship he has is with his sister Shuri. All the Guardians of the Galaxy do is argue with one another. Rocket and Yondu probably formed the strongest relationship on screen. Thor Ragnarok isn’t bad although the relationship Odinson develops with Banner or brother Loki is more like Abbot and Costello, endearing but more comedic than emotional. 
Avengers Endgame finally gives us an ensemble Avengers film with human beings trying to connect. We finally see Clint and Natasha’s friendship on screen. We finally see Stark as an actual human being with his daughter and father. We finally get to see Steve Rogers relax his guard a bit. Thor with his mother.

The first Thor movie is pretty good as Odinson is forced to find his softer side as he connects with Jane Foster and Dr Selvig and learns to see Loki as an actual brother. It’s one of the few MCU films where the character arc IS the movie.

In Captain Marvel, although there’s distrust between Carol and Fury at the start, they form a partnership where they actually connect as they road trip together though it does stay light-hearted and lacks tears and gnashing of teeth with good reason (Endgame was around the corner). Carol and Maria make a true human connection as Carol searches for the power core but finds her humanity. And ironically, the deviant Skrull Talos turns out to be the most trustworthy of all. 

Again: lolwut

Take the blinders off, bud.

The grandstanding cherry-picking argument doesn't dispel the truth.

While I'm a fan of Sam Raimi, I can't help but think this is a lost opportunity.

They should have tried for Guillermo del Toro.

Blade II *stiil* holds up, and while I didn't care for The Shape of Water, both Pan's Labyrinth and Crimson Peak showcase his gothic horror chops. I know he's got a full-slate with Pinnochio coming up, but he seems the perfect director for a truly horror-tinged Strange (should Disney/Marvel allow *anyone* to go that route).

23 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

While I'm a fan of Sam Raimi, I can't help but think this is a lost opportunity.

Blade II *stiil* holds up, and while I didn't care for The Shape of Water, both Pan's Labyrinth and Crimson Peak showcase his gothic horror chops. I know he's got a full-slate with Pinnochio coming up, but he seems the perfect director for a truly horror-tinged Strange (should Disney/Marvel allow *anyone* to go that route).

While I don't love del Toro's movies, I get he's a good filmmaker. However, his movies all have the same look from Pans Labyrinth to Hellboy to Pacific Rim. And they kind of have a smallness to them that might not be fitting for a possibly big movie that takes place within a multiverse.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

While I don't love del Toro's movies, I get he's a good filmmaker. However, his movies all have the same look from Pans Labyrinth to Hellboy to Pacific Rim. And they kind of have a smallness to them that might not be fitting for a possibly big movie that takes place within a multiverse.

Didn't Pacific Rim pertain to multiple dimensions?

33 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

That's the two movies I forgot to add to my digital collection. Thanks for the reminder.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Again: lolwut

Take the blinders off, bud.

The grandstanding cherry-picking argument doesn't dispel the truth.

No blinders here, dude. I call it as I see it. I'm as big a MCU fan as anybody, but I feel I'm as fair as anybody in judging them. When I post about a movie here, I usually give reasons for why I did or didn't like a movie and I've stated my reasons here (again and again) for why Captain Marvel is a good film.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

No blinders here, dude. I call it as I see it. I'm as big a MCU fan as anybody, but I feel I'm as fair as anybody in judging them. When I post about a movie here, I usually give reasons for why I did or didn't like a movie and I've stated my reasons here (again and again) for why Captain Marvel is a good film.

There's evidence of deep bias here when you claim that CM has magically conjured character relationships 20 movies deep into a franchise that has thrived on character relationships (especially when the "relationships" are virtually non-existent in the majority of CM's own movie). It doesn't make any sense.

You contradict yourself, especially, when you mention that there's 'distrust at first' that's amended. Are you completely overlooking every single other MCU film that has accomplished this? Mainly The Avengers (a group that Carol Danvers ain't even a part of ;) - so much for being a 'team player' with "relationships").

Rocket offering his hand to Nebula was more convincing than Carol pretending to tear-up about Fury.

17 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's evidence of deep bias here when you claim that CM has magically conjured character relationships 20 movies deep into a franchise that has thrived on character relationships (especially when the "relationships" are virtually non-existent in the majority of CM's own movie). It doesn't make any sense.

You contradict yourself, especially, when you mention that there's 'distrust at first' that's amended. Are you completely overlooking every single other MCU film that has accomplished this? Mainly The Avengers (a group that Carol Danvers ain't even a part of ;) - so much for being a 'team player' with "relationships").

Rocket offering his hand to Nebula was more convincing than Carol pretending to tear-up about Fury.

Has the MCU thrived on character relationships? It thrived on humor, that's for sure. It thrived on great casting. But relationships as in meaningful relationships? The first two Iron Man movies were basically everybody belittling Tony Stark. I don't think he made a true friend in the entire IM trilogy. Rhodes is supposed to be his best friend, but Terence Howard spends most of the movie telling Stark to get a life and Don Cheadle spends the other two movies fighting him or insulting him. Steve Rogers is best friends with Bucky, but we don't really see much of that best friend relationship after First Avenger. As I said with Clint and Natasha, they're supposed to be best friends also, but we never see that until Endgame. And in all the Avengers movies until Endgame, the Avengers mostly fight each other! I know the whole Civil War was part of what made the MCU what it is, but it was based on a lot of dysfunctional relationships.

Then we have Captain Marvel, where we have Yonn-Rogg belittling and ordering about Carol because that's their relationship, he's her mentor and commander. She comes to Earth and meets Nick Fury where they strike up a tenuous partnership, but where they also TALK to one another (as opposed to insulting one another), spend time with each other in cars and bars and secret bases, and get to know each other as equals. Then Carol reunites with her old best friend Maria where they sit down and talk to each other and look at old photos together and cry together. Then she even forms a new friendship with her "enemy" Talos! I mean, the entire of Captain Marvel was relationship building!

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Has the MCU thrived on character relationships? It thrived on humor, that's for sure. It thrived on great casting. But relationships as in meaningful relationships? The first two Iron Man movies were basically everybody belittling Tony Stark. I don't think he made a true friend in the entire IM trilogy. Rhodes is supposed to be his best friend, but Terence Howard spends most of the movie telling Stark to get a life and Don Cheadle spends the other two movies fighting him or insulting him. Steve Rogers is best friends with Bucky, but we don't really see much of that best friend relationship after First Avenger. As I said with Clint and Natasha, they're supposed to be best friends also, but we never see that until Endgame. And in all the Avengers movies until Endgame, the Avengers mostly fight each other! I know the whole Civil War was part of what made the MCU what it is, but it was based on a lot of dysfunctional relationships.

Then we have Captain Marvel, where we have Yonn-Rogg belittling and ordering about Carol because that's their relationship, he's her mentor and commander. She comes to Earth and meets Nick Fury where they strike up a tenuous partnership, but where they also TALK to one another (as opposed to insulting one another), spend time with each other in cars and bars and secret bases, and get to know each other as equals. Then Carol reunites with her old best friend Maria where they sit down and talk to each other and look at old photos together and cry together. Then she even forms a new friendship with her "enemy" Talos! I mean, the entire of Captain Marvel was relationship building!

Riiiiiiiiiight. We don't see Romanoff and Barton's evident relationship until Film 22. Except for the fact that Natasha drops everything at the hint of Clint in trouble at the beginning of The Avengers.

Danvers' and Fury's relationship is so meaningful and deep that she leaves the planet for 25 consecutive years and has nothing to do with him... Wow. What a deep connection.

This perfectly sums up your perspective on the MCU and Captain Marvel:

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I wonder if this movie may be a prequel to Endgame where we get to see a mix of the various time streams that Doctor Strange witnessed towards the end of Infinity War. They could bring everyone back for one last film.hm

It's directly related to WandaVision - which is post-Endgame.

I don't really like any of the MCU prequels, but this is probably the best idea for one that I have seen.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's directly related to WandaVision - which is post-Endgame.

I don't really like any of the MCU prequels, but this is probably the best idea for one that I have seen.

I think this is how they will tie it all together. I believe Vision is still dead, even after everyone else was brought back, so WandaVision could be about her projections of a safe place with Vision while Doctor Strange streams the multiverse for the Avengers defeat of Thanos in Endgame.