• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

That would be a huge saving grace if this happened. Though what it leads to will be interesting.

Sam Raimi, the mind behind Evil Dead trilogy and the original live-action Spider-Man franchise, is in talks to director Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness for Marvel, according to Variety. Raimi would be stepping in for original director Scott Derrickson, who exited the project in January over “creative differences” with the studio. Benedict Cumberbatch is set to reprise the role of Sorcerer Supreme Stephen Strange, alongside Elizabeth Olsen‘s Scarlet Witch.

It was a bit of a bummer when Derrickson departed the director’s chair—he remains on board the project as producer—seeing as how the Sinister filmmaker ushered the character into the MCU with 2016’s Doctor Strange. But woo boy, Raimi would be one hell of a replacement, considering his past work delving into the odd and mystical. Reports have gone back and forth on just how much of a horror movie Multiverse of Madness will be, though, with Marvel president Kevin Feige downplaying that element in December 2019:

“The way, when I was a kid in the 80s, Spielberg did an amazing job,” Feige said. “I mean, there are horrifying sequences in Raiders that I as a little kid would [covers his eyes] when their faces melted. Or Temple of Doom, of course, or Gremlins, or Poltergeist. These are the movies that invented the PG-13 rating, by the way.”

Raimi hasn’t had a directing credit since the 2017 short film The Black Ghiandola, although he’s served as producer on a more than a few killer films like Crawl and Don’t Breathe. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is set to hit theaters on May 7, 2021.

2 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

Or terrible. He has a B list mentally 

Not sure what you mean. B-list as in Raimi makes B-movies or he’s better for a B-list character? Yes, Raimi makes quirky horror movies but he also made flicks like For the Love of the Game and, oh yeah, the Spider-Man Trilogy ( which actually are all kind of horror movies).

And speaking of Spider-Man, Raimi excelled with this Steve Ditko character. He really brought that Ditko creepiness to the character’s world, I thought.  Maybe it’s only fitting to hand over Marvel’s other Ditko character to a movie master of the creepy and quirky.

0D5CF890-7DD8-467E-B221-40310DE88412.thumb.jpeg.4eaa06e6b00bd52c3d8537d1282e84ab.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I didn't see that coming from you.

:kidaround:

All she did mostly was nag Strange about this or that, I mean, she’s not his mother, let the guy live his life. DS1 was an origin story, fine. But going forward, if you’re making a super-hero movie then I want super-heroes(Spider-Man being the exception). Basically, dump that Palmer lady and give us Clea. 

8 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

All she did mostly was nag Strange about this or that, I mean, she’s not his mother, let the guy live his life. DS1 was an origin story, fine. But going forward, if you’re making a super-hero movie then I want super-heroes(Spider-Man being the exception). Basically, dump that Palmer lady and give us Clea. 

Human characters keeping humans humane and relatable are kinda necessary.

How can we relate to Doctor Strange? Sorcerers aren't real. Relationships are real.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Human characters keeping humans humane and relatable are kinda necessary.

How can we relate to Doctor Strange? Sorcerers aren't real. Relationships are real.

That’s what made Captain Marvel so great. But real people can still be superheroes, which is what made Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four and Marvel Comics so great.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

That’s what made Captain Marvel so great. But real people can still be superheroes, which is what made Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four and Marvel Comics so great.

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

Captain Marvel didn't convey any human emotion for about 95% of the film - which is part of why it's mediocre.

5 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Not sure what you mean. B-list as in Raimi makes B-movies or he’s better for a B-list character? Yes, Raimi makes quirky horror movies but he also made flicks like For the Love of the Game and, oh yeah, the Spider-Man Trilogy ( which actually are all kind of horror movies).

And speaking of Spider-Man, Raimi excelled with this Steve Ditko character. He really brought that Ditko creepiness to the character’s world, I thought.  Maybe it’s only fitting to hand over Marvel’s other Ditko character to a movie master of the creepy and quirky.

0D5CF890-7DD8-467E-B221-40310DE88412.thumb.jpeg.4eaa06e6b00bd52c3d8537d1282e84ab.jpeg

He's one of my favorite directors. And he's shown time and time again that he's not "B-List" or "B-Movie". "The Quick and the Dead" is one of my favorite films. He directed Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio, Sharon Stone, Keith David and numerous others in that film and I enjoyed it immensely. And that doesn't have "B-Level or B-List" anywhere near it.