• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest -Final Round
5 5

180 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

So the one inch crease/tear on the upper left back cover on the Tec was a printing error I presume? 

Awesome contest! Thanks for all the hard work guys!

back to back 4th place finishes for me - close but not close enough :) congrats to everyone and especially @Azkaban 

Must be. I thought it was a tear, and gave a 9.0.  

BIG Congrats to @Azkaban !

Great show as always @thirdgreenham and @sckao 

Thanks for the memories(and nightmares lol)

2 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Here are the final round books, in case you didn’t want to watch the video reveal I posted. 

8DE0BC07-7AC8-49AB-AF1F-2F128AADF9FD.jpeg

B8279C5E-D83D-4F1D-A5B5-E9CB9F6D726B.jpeg

I have some TwinCities copy's, very nice pedigree :applause:

I thought the Tec might've been a 9.8, but was too afraid to guess that...and had no idea how much that stain might've hurt the ASM--apparently, more than I thought it would!

I missed it if it was mentioned in the video reveal--what is that stain? Heh.

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

Those are new labels, I thought they were going strict lately? Does that stain go through the whole book to the front cover a bit too?

The stain ate through part of the back cover and soaked into half the book, IIRC. If I were to guess, I'd say it was food or sauce. 

This is the perfect example of me wanting to know how CGC would handle this kind of defect.  An otherwise 8.0-8.5 book.

Edit:  an otherwise 6.0 book.  Forgot about that front cover massive crease. doh! 

Edited by thirdgreenham

1 minute ago, thirdgreenham said:

The stain ate through part of the back cover and soaked into half the book, IIRC. If I were to guess, I'd say it was food or sauce. 

This is the perfect example of me wanting to know how CGC would handle this kind of defect.  An otherwise 8.0-8.5 book.

Except for the major crease on front that reduced it to a 5.0 before looking at back cover.  Right?

16 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

So is that a large diagonal crease across the front lower right corner (about 4 inches across spidey's arm?

18 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Interesting book for sure. Seems like it would be quite the horror story in terms of buying it on ebay with no back cover scan provided (raw). What do you plan to do with this book now? Sell it or keep it?

Was this book part of a collection you acquired or was it purchased on its own?

Went 9.4 on the TEC...just...because.  Had it at 9.6 but as someone else mentioned thought the back cover was a bit dingy.  As for the ASM 194...with the diagonal crease alone that book was at best a 4.5/5.0.  We're talking about a late era bronze book.  No way that book is better than a 3.5 (my guess). 

THX AGAIN Andy and Shin for another fantastic contest!

48 minutes ago, grebal said:

Except for the major crease on front that reduced it to a 5.0 before looking at back cover.  Right?

Oh right, I forgot about that... lol 

4.0 is a little generous then.... hm 

Just now, thirdgreenham said:

Oh right, I forgot about that... lol 

4.0 is a little generous then.... hm 

hmwas the same process I went through.

My take away:

if it was an 8.0 (without the major crease on front), might drop to 5.0 (3 pt drop, because the back keeps it from being a "FN").

but as a 5.0 only 1 pt drop.

31 minutes ago, eddly said:

Interesting book for sure. Seems like it would be quite the horror story in terms of buying it on ebay with no back cover scan provided (raw). What do you plan to do with this book now? Sell it or keep it?

Was this book part of a collection you acquired or was it purchased on its own?

I purchased it with the intention of putting it in my grading contest.  It came from a friend, and I'll have no trouble selling it as a graded key.  Of course I'll provide a back cover scan. lol 

1 minute ago, grebal said:

My take away:

if it was an 8.0 (without the major crease on front), might drop to 5.0 (3 pt drop, because the back keeps it from being a "FN").

8.0 to 8.5 upon first glance.

large f.c. crease - 2 full grade points, so now 6.0 to 6.5

ugly stain that ate through the back cover - 2 to 3 full grade points

actual grade should settle in at 3.0/3.5 to 4.0/4.5.

1 hour ago, thirdgreenham said:

I purchased it with the intention of putting it in my grading contest.  It came from a friend, and I'll have no trouble selling it as a graded key.  Of course I'll provide a back cover scan. lol 

thanks as that was a good example to learn what grade such a major defect can still earn (thumbsu

On 6/30/2018 at 7:31 PM, thunsicker said:

Oh, and one last thing.  I've done pretty awful this contest, but what really matters is it comes down to this final round for what really matters.  I still have a chance to beat Dave @KPR Comics.

On 6/30/2018 at 7:31 PM, thunsicker said:

Oh, and one last thing.  I've done pretty awful this contest, but what really matters is it comes down to this final round for what really matters.  I still have a chance to beat Dave @KPR Comics.

This one is all yours, Tim!  Next year it’s on.

If anyone checks in I'd like to discuss the browning, tanning, discoloration of back covers. Like the detective comics book. Obviously it did not hurt the book too much. I would tend to knock the book down to a 9.0 or lower depending on how dark the tanning is. In the case of the round 10 book, it was in such outstanding condition I went with 9.4. Thoughts? How much should a discolored back should affect the grade?

On 7/1/2018 at 8:37 AM, thirdgreenham said:
On 7/1/2018 at 8:33 AM, grebal said:

My take away:

8.0 to 8.5 upon first glance.

large f.c. crease - 2 full grade points, so now 6.0 to 6.5

ugly stain that ate through the back cover - 2 to 3 full grade points

actual grade should settle in at 3.0/3.5 to 4.0/4.5.

B8279C5E-D83D-4F1D-A5B5-E9CB9F6D726B.thu

maybe I'm seeing things (and some others) but I was certain I saw a chunk of the back cover missing in that same stain area (sort of looks like the top of Batman's cowl). The stain was pretty bad but that missing portion stopped me from giving it more than a 3.0 - which honestly was factoring in some TGH grade bump. If this were in my collection, I would most likely grade it as a 2.5

I mean the book is very nice in general until you see the back. This is the kind of situation where if you are buying a book that is in a bag and board and do not bother taking it out to see the whole book, you will get burned.

As for the Tec-- I was sure it was a 9.8 and wanted to put that as the grade so badly but chickened out and went the safe route figuring I had probably missed some obvious problem. While looking at it, I thought-- oh that top corner has creases but comparing it to a specimen copy-- that was art! Little did I know I was comparing a 9.8 with another 9.8.

Great contest-- really enjoyed it -- frustrating at times (Millie and Joe!), surprising at others. Not my best performance but I was not giving the time I usually do as last years the more time I spent the worse I was doing (second guessing is my downfall).