• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC 100 Page Giants Walmart exclusive
2 2

87 posts in this topic

I applaud and agree with not patronizing Walmart. It seems to me (a) DC should’ve given LCSes a shot at these but especially (b) the reprints should have much more variety; the classic 100-pagers had golden age reprints, I hated them but it taught me the variety that existed...it’s INSANE that these books don’t reprint anything from the animated/adventures series of Batman and Superman.

37 minutes ago, Coolio McCool said:

Most of the content is reprint, but it seems like a decent product for new readers. I don't understand why they choose to sell it at Walmart of all places, couldn't they sell them to comic stores also? I refuse to step foot into Walmart for various reasons which are off-topic here so it looks like I'll have to pass on these.

22 minutes ago, JTLarsen said:

I applaud and agree with not patronizing Walmart. It seems to me (a) DC should’ve given LCSes a shot at these but especially (b) the reprints should have much more variety; the classic 100-pagers had golden age reprints, I hated them but it taught me the variety that existed...it’s INSANE that these books don’t reprint anything from the animated/adventures series of Batman and Superman.

I assume DC got a nice payday from Wal Mart. It's not like they are selling a lot of comics. It depends how many times they restock, but there are 5 or less copies of each title on the first stocking. Times 3k stores, not a lot.

Edited by ygogolak

14 hours ago, The Professor said:

Purchased the Batman one today. Love the throwback cover. 4.99 for 100 pages, great deal compared to other comics today.Hopefully brings in new readers

I gotta admit I changed my mind after I read the Batman one it is very well done while some of its a reprint I really like how they give you that introduction before the 
book starts. Hush was an excellent choice if you are going to reprint anything.

11 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

Are the covers reused? The Bats and Supes look familiar.

I believe they are brand new covers to the DC Giants. Is it just the super-Walmarts that also sell groceries that got these 100 Pagers or all Walmart USA? Pretty low trial print run if Walmart just racking 5 of each title monthly.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

33 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

Are the covers reused? The Bats and Supes look familiar but not 100% sure.

23 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

I believe they are brand new covers to the DC Giants. Is it just the super-Walmarts that also sell groceries that got these 100 Pagers or all Walmart USA? Pretty low trial print run if Walmart just racking 5 of each title monthly.

Batman is the New 52 #2 Jim Lee variant. Not sure about the others.

Batman_Vol_2_2_Variant.jpg

Edited by ygogolak

16 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I assume DC got a nice payday from Wal Mart. It's not like they are selling a lot of comics. It depends how many times they restock, but there are 5 or less copies of each title on the first stocking. Times 3k stores, not a lot.

Probably. I would assume DC cooked up the idea and pitched it to WM or WM buyers reached out to DC and asked them to put something special together, but it should be a win for both. I like the idea and glad they stuck with the vintage 100-page graphics. Kids won't be able to relate to that specifically, but would expect that aspect to be a hit with bronze collectors. And, again, we all remember how comics in grocery/convenience stores stopped us in our tracks as kids, so hopefully this will get books into kids' hands as well (assuming FBS doesn't buy them all)(:jokealert:) As far as it being exclusive, this really shouldn't be a big deal. Various LCS's get their exclusives as long as they're willing to pony up and WM, Target, TRU, etc. had exclusive toys all the time. 

14 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Probably. I would assume DC cooked up the idea and pitched it to WM or WM buyers reached out to DC and asked them to put something special together, but it should be a win for both. I like the idea and glad they stuck with the vintage 100-page graphics. Kids won't be able to relate to that specifically, but would expect that aspect to be a hit with bronze collectors. And, again, we all remember how comics in grocery/convenience stores stopped us in our tracks as kids, so hopefully this will get books into kids' hands as well (assuming FBS doesn't buy them all)(:jokealert:) As far as it being exclusive, this really shouldn't be a big deal. Various LCS's get their exclusives as long as they're willing to pony up and WM, Target, TRU, etc. had exclusive toys all the time. 

LCS can get an exclusive variant with a different cover. The story is the exact same anywhere you shop.

3 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:
20 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I left copies everywhere I went. lol

I visited a LCS this morning and as I rummaged through their back issues, I eavesdropped on a conversation taking place 5 feet away.

A grandmother had brought her 8 year old grandson into the store, because he had just seen Infinity War and wanted to read the IG TPB. The store was sold out but the clerk assured them that they could order it and he would have it for them in four days. 

What happened next caused me to become part of the scene. The kid was hungry to read some comics: now, not four days from today. But the clerk made no attempt to steer him toward an alternative. I jumped in and began to suggest $1 Thor and X-men books that I had noticed in the boxes.  Grandma was happy to buy him $15 worth of back issues to satisfy his need to read about characters, like the ones that he saw on the screen.

If Wal-Mart's efforts gets a few more kids into reading (anything is great, but comics would be a plus for us) then I say, "Thank You!"

I have two daughters who wanted to know more about Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel after seeing Avengers:IW - I had to search about three or four stores for a TPB.  The fact is that the comics community (publishers, stores, all of us) are doing the bare minimum to support the medium. Even with the biggest, most popular advertisements showing in theaters a couple times a year.

Here in Atlanta, we have around 10 cons annually and 5-10 stores that sell new books, yet there is no outreach when people walk out of a showing of Batman, Avengers or My Little Pony.

Edited by camera73
Forgot to add a phrase

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:01 PM, cortown71 said:

Saw them today at my local.only 2 teen titans and all 5 of the other 3.all copies.so flipped thru them all and left them.

At least USA Walmart Supercenters make :smile: DC Giants available 24 hours a day for a comic fix at midnight.

Remember, WalMart is not in the market just to sell to collectors. They sell things for profit, not to cater to collectors' interest. Having said that, if this venture is successful, maybe comics will be more readily available in places other than comic shops. I don't think comics will ever gain popularity as it did in years past, but maybe there will be more a more widespread distribution than it is now.:wishluck:

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

These puppies are selling now, esp Teen Titans. 

Yeah they are speculating on the new villain being a big deal. It looks like a solid $20 book with some variation.
I really like these books they are well laid out. I thought the Batman Giant was great.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 6/30/2018 at 3:47 AM, fastballspecial said:

I agree its my hope it reaches kids. This isn't really a spec grab unless one of them is really hard to find. Many learned their lesson from the last round.

I agree totally with you it is not a bad thing to get children reading comics, also I heard that there is a first appearance in the Teen titans 100 pager.