• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No love for Atlas/Seaboard?

43 posts in this topic

Great little set, love them! Cool and inexpensive, very wild piece of comics history. And barely takes up a third of a short box! I do need a couple Vickis if the OP has some to sell, but I have completed the rest as a reader grade set and I upgrade affordably whenever I come across nice ones.

Because I’m still one of the few remaining sword & sorcery fans out there, I’ve got all the Wulf and Ironjaw books. Really like the Planet of Vampire books as well. Too bad that story arc never completed.  

I collected them all off the stands, except for Vicki. Months later, when I realized they wouldn't be putting out any more I searched high and low for a copy. I have a short box full, but my original run is long gone. 

I liked a few, disliked more.

18 hours ago, iganatz said:

So I guess I'm going to keep them for myself as they're not salable, either due to the big warehouse find (see board discussion here) or simple apathy.  It makes me sad, because these books are awesome, created by some of the Bronze greats and easy to collect due to the fact that few of the titles ran more than 3-4 issues before the company folded.  For those interested, there's an amazing history and review of every issue here.

You probably answered your own question. While some of these were created by some of the greats of the era, the fact that none of the titles went more than four issues really puts a crimp on any long term fanbase appreciation. More like a cult following really. We can all wonder about the potential but it's a potential unrealized.

On the other hand, if someone ever does anything with these properties, that could change

18 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

You probably answered your own question. While some of these were created by some of the greats of the era, the fact that none of the titles went more than four issues really puts a crimp on any long term fanbase appreciation. More like a cult following really. We can all wonder about the potential but it's a potential unrealized.

On the other hand, if someone ever does anything with these properties, that could change

I keep thinking the first two Scorpion issues might do something if Marvel ever does something with Dominic Fortune. 

On 6/29/2018 at 8:04 PM, Readcomix said:

Great little set, love them! Cool and inexpensive, very wild piece of comics history. And barely takes up a third of a short box! I do need a couple Vickis if the OP has some to sell, but I have completed the rest as a reader grade set and I upgrade affordably whenever I come across nice ones.

Ha.  Nope, I only have the #1s (and one random Wulf #3 I picked up as part of a lot on a recent board sales thread).

On 6/30/2018 at 3:17 AM, Brian48 said:

Because I’m still one of the few remaining sword & sorcery fans out there, I’ve got all the Wulf and Ironjaw books. Really like the Planet of Vampire books as well. Too bad that story arc never completed.  

One of the few here as well.  Doing a sales thread soon and there will be some sword and sorcery stuff, in fact there are two lots that will be called "sword and sorcery" lots.  Such a natural fit for comic book storytelling.  Artists like Redondo, Chaykin and Windsor-Smith really got it.

On 6/30/2018 at 8:52 AM, Jerkfro said:

Yeah, fair point.  It's hard to have emotional attachment to something that was only around for a hot minute.

It's too bad Atlas/Seaboard didn't succeed. Given what DC was putting out at the time, specifically their superhero stuff, they may have been able to seriously compete. DC superhero stuff in the mid to late 70s was pretty ordinary. They wouldn't have been able to touch DC in war though. Not sure how they could have done against Marvel though.

2 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

This is just sooo great!!

Jason Goodman resurrected this company about 10 years ago with the sole purpose being for it to get some type of tv/movie/media deal before he ran out of money. He managed to keep it going for about 3 or 4 issues before it then sunk into the ground. Good for him that 10 years later Comic Book Movie Hysteria has taken off to the point that even Atlas was able to snag a deal!

Who in the world would throw good money at these characters with the thoughts of sinking 60 million into a movie???

And yes, I say all this as a true Atlas fanboy.

Does anyone have a list of first appearances outside of the #1s? There had to be some villains. 

Call me crazy but I am intrigued by this company. I don’t see any digital or collected editions out there, would like to do some reading / research to put a comprehensive list together of key issues from the 61 they published. 

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

A friend of mine has the original art for the entire Planet of the Vampires 1, including the Adams cover and all the text pages. He got it as a legal settlement about 30 years ago.

With Adams....?

:whistle:

Well, I love these comics.  I am missing a few of the "text" magazines, but otherwise have them all.  Just finished my second read-through of the whole lot a few months ago.  They maybe aren't consistently great, but they are very enjoyable.  I'm not too proud to say that I have been fantasizing for about a year now about making a movie based on the Atlas line.  It will be interesting to see if these Paramount films come to fruition.

9 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

key issues from the 61 they published. 

As someone who bought over 50 of them off the rack and then saw virtually no price appreciation for over four decades now, this made me chuckle.

On 6/30/2018 at 3:14 AM, shadroch said:

I collected them all off the stands, except for Vicki.

I liked a few, disliked more.

Wonder why Vicki #1 cover price was set at 50c: double the cost of a regular 25c (: Atlas/Seaboard?