• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CCS Pressing Correct Subscription Fold?

4 posts in this topic

I have some key comics from the 1970's that still have subscription folds even after 40 years in a stack and then later bagged and boarded when those supplies became widely available.  I'm pondering getting two graded and asking if anyone has experience with pressing such comics.  Will the CCS pressing address the folds?  Partially?  Completely?  My copies of ASM 121 and 129 were mailed to family during my military service and I didn't take them out of the brown wrapper for about 4 years so they were folded a while waiting for me to return.  I still have them and they look clean, except for the visible bump in the cover and pages from top center to bottom center.

Pressing can flatten out subscription copies that were folded and mailed. But those books nearly always have a crease visible on the back and/or front covers. In areas of color the crease nearly always breaks color.

A 10 inch crease is not a small defect. Even after pressing It's rare that a subscription copy ever grades higher than 6.0 - and 5.0-5.5 is more common. 

On 6/30/2018 at 12:37 AM, Tony S said:

Pressing can flatten out subscription copies that were folded and mailed. But those books nearly always have a crease visible on the back and/or front covers. In areas of color the crease nearly always breaks color.

A 10 inch crease is not a small defect. Even after pressing It's rare that a subscription copy ever grades higher than 6.0 - and 5.0-5.5 is more common. 

Good answer and I agree. However, since these are two key books, I would still get them pressed and graded. Just don't expect a high grade.