• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miscut / Miswrap Grading

8 posts in this topic

I have found some discussion but no definitive answer on grading standards for miscut, miswrap issues. I have a 1975 Batman that is clearly a high grade with the exception of the cut. The cover and book cut is square, the wrap is tight and square, the edges are cut even, but the book is 6 3/4" wide rather than the expected 7 1/4" width. So appearance is fine, but the question is will CGC grade lower for wrong dimension? I've added pictures. The combined is #260 facing #261. This series of Batman's were large books and I compared the #261 to all I have of that series and it was always smaller as shown.

Edited by azcards55
Added information

1 hour ago, azcards55 said:

I have found some discussion but no definitive answer on grading standards for miscut, miswrap issues. I have a 1975 Batman that is clearly a high grade with the exception of the cut. The cover and book cut is square, the wrap is tight and square, the edges are cut even, but the book is 6 3/4" wide rather than the expected 7 1/4" width. So appearance is fine, but the question is will CGC grade lower for wrong dimension?

Where did you get that idea?

I'm sure your book is fine.

5 hours ago, azcards55 said:

I have found some discussion but no definitive answer on grading standards for miscut, miswrap issues. I have a 1975 Batman that is clearly a high grade with the exception of the cut. The cover and book cut is square, the wrap is tight and square, the edges are cut even, but the book is 6 3/4" wide rather than the expected 7 1/4" width. So appearance is fine, but the question is will CGC grade lower for wrong dimension?

6 and 3/4" wide by 10 and 1/4" length is the typical size, with slight fluctuation plus or minus. By the Silver age, very few comics were produced with a 7 inch or more width. 7 and 1/4" harkens back to production size on early golden age comics! 1975s are nowhere near that width. .

Yes, as long as that book is cut straight you shouldn't have any problem with a downgrade. I've been studying a few miscut CGC books lately, and even when they have a noticeable miscut it usually only knocks it down about half a grade...

Thanks to all for the info. I posted pictures, but the overall opinion appears to be the size isn't really a grading issue. This book was the example, and though this is the first time I recall facing this situation, I was curious to see if I needed to pay attention to size before submitting what I would think was a high grade key issue. Thanks again.

This issue is from right around when the final change was made to the standard dimensions of a comic book. It looks like this might be the first one in the title.