• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing to achieve higher grade

6 posts in this topic

I have a fairly complete collection of Modern ASM that I bought new when I was a wee lad (circa 1973-76). I put them in plastic, but tucked the flaps rather than tape them, and now have a nice "V" shaped indent on every single issue. I may have read them once before putting them in the bag, so aside from the indent these look pretty good to me, and I'm wondering if they might be graded in the high 9's.

If I take the path of a pressing pre-screen I'm charged a minimum of $10 to determine if the pressing will help the grade.

If I just press these Modern issues at the least expensive rate I'm charged $12 per issue.

Now comes the grading..

Do I pre-screen for the grading or just roll the dice? If they don't achieve a 9.4 or 9.8 it doesn't seem worth it.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

IMG_7391.jpg

IMG_7392.jpg

the dent you show would press out. I recommend posting a book or 2 in the Hey buddy, can you spare a grade? forum found here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Take some scans of the front and back of the book and post it.

That way you will know what the consensus is on the grade of the book, not exact but it will give a good idea.

Once you have a grade consensus, then determine if you really want to submit the book for grading. Are you submitting the book because you plan to sell it? If you are not selling it then I would just keep the books in mylars and enjoy them. Why?

Example:

The ASM 170 you posted has a blunted back cover corner, likely the book would grade at 9.4, in CGC 9.4 the last recorded sale was $43.00.

It would cost more than that to press + grade + ship the book.

Edited by Artboy99

Artboy, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if I want to sell or keep at this point.

I suppose I'm curious to know if I had any comic that might be 9.6 or 9.8 which could make the latter part of my collection worth more than the lesser condition earlier issues.

I'll try the "Hey buddy" option you suggested.

Thanks again.

That will definitely press out. The only question you have to ask yourself is which books are worth pressing and grading. Most of the books in the post #150 ASM run are not worth grading unless they hit 9.8. Even then, it may not be worth it for most.

If you want some help deciding what to send in besides the keys (e.g. #194, 238, 252, 300, 361), check out sold listing prices in the latest ComicLink auctions or grab a GPAnalysis account.