• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Effect of Print Dots on CGC grade?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I have a pretty nice ASM 101 that has white print dots on the cover. These are not foreign matter that could be removed, it is a printing defect. I’ve seen this a lot on sports cards, but it doesn’t seem to be as common on comics. Anyone know how CGC treats this?

9EC50849-09C5-4C48-A5B1-425425636BD8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Paul_Maul said:

I have a pretty nice ASM 101 that has white print dots on the cover. These are not foreign matter that could be removed, it is a printing defect. I’ve seen this a lot on sports cards, but it doesn’t seem to be as common on comics. Anyone know how CGC treats this?

It would probably keep it out of grades higher than 9.4...

13 hours ago, Paul_Maul said:

I don't think it is a printing defect. Looks like color loss from a tape pull or something sticky. Somebody recently showed a similar cover that was determined to be from the bag sticking to the cover. I think it was Joeypost that said he has seen this happen. I know I have removed books from 'sticky' bags and you have to peel them away. I would usually use a scissors to cut away at the bag as opposed to pulling it out.

Thanks for the input Bob,  it it is definitely not paper loss, that is clear looking at it in hand. It is from a collection I bought in 1993 of books that were read once and handled carefully. It is a print defect which occurs frequently on sports cards like the one below. It actually doesn’t bother me much, and I’m keeping the book, I was just curious how it would affect the grade.

6136CB3A-063D-48CA-904E-054C7F7633B5.jpeg

On 7/1/2018 at 11:57 PM, Paul_Maul said:

Thanks for the input Bob,  it it is definitely not paper loss, that is clear looking at it in hand. It is from a collection I bought in 1993 of books that were read once and handled carefully. It is a print defect which occurs frequently on sports cards like the one below. It actually doesn’t bother me much, and I’m keeping the book, I was just curious how it would affect the grade.

6136CB3A-063D-48CA-904E-054C7F7633B5.jpeg

I now have more questions about this football card than I do about your comic.  Why did Topps make "Mexican" football cards?  Why did they have to remove the star from Staubach's helmet?

Team logos could not be used on Topps sets at this time (domestic or Mexican) because Fleer had exclusive rights to those logos.

As for the 1977 Mexican set, not my area of expertise but here is an article on the subject.

https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/9275/collector-profile-jim-ragsdale-conquering-1977-topps-mexican-football-card-set