• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Miller Remark - Torpedo Comics Signing 6/30/18

15 posts in this topic

My buddy and I drove up from Phoenix yesterday to attend the Frank Miller signing at Torpedo Comics in Vegas. He was doing Batman remarks for $250, and I thought this might be my best chance to finally get a Batman sketch from Miller for my collection. I have Batman sketches from Neal Adams, Jim Lee, George Perez, and adding Miller in is a long-time dream. The third party of our group had to cancel last second, so I was going to have Miller sign his copy of DD 158 since I was only there for the remark. It's finally our turn to meet Miller, and I happily hand over the DD issue to be signed for my buddy. I wanted the Batman remark on a backing board instead of a blank cover, so I handed it over to Frank with a huge smile and grabbed my phone to record him sketching. It had been made very clear that Frank was ONLY doing Batman remarks, so I didn't think to specify what I wanted. I'd seen some examples of the remarks he'd done throughout the day - portfolio shots of Batman in Miller's distinctive style. I notice that the sketch he's doing for me is front-facing - cool!!! He finishes up and hands it over to me, and as I start to walk away I look down to admire my long-coveted-never-thought-I'd-get-a-chance-to-have-it Miller Batman and see that he's sketched Daredevil. Now, under ANY other circumstances I'd be ecstatic, but I desperately wanted Batman to round out my Dark Knight HOF sketches. Miller's assistant looked at me like I was crazy when I told him my dilemma - "That's literally the ONLY Daredevil sketch Frank has done today!!!". I knew Miller was just being extremely nice to me, figuring that I wanted a DD sketch to go along with the 158 he signed, but he graciously did a Batman sketch for me. Sadly, I wasn't able to keep the DD sketch, but it turned out really nice. 

miller dd1.PNG

miller DD2.jpg

miller batman.jpg

Edited by The Mad Irishman

That DD is really nice, probably would have kept that one, but I understand.  I got a Spider-Man added to my collection.  He drew it upside down over my Neal Adams, but hey, its Frank.  Better than the profile Batman in my opinion.  Congrats

IMG_1286.JPG

On 7/1/2018 at 4:02 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I would have kept the DD.

I agree 500% on that from various perspectives, including rendering quality, scarcity and comparative quality (DD vs Batman)..., but from the perspective of a fan wanting what they want, not for resale or anything, then I agree 1,000% with the exchange.  

Miller's remarks don't resemble anything close to his published artwork or his artistry at it's pinnacle and are no more than a nice autograph accompanied by a doodle, a nice souvenir but far from being aesthetic by any means, and something that could be forged or done by a child, so to me it's more about the nostalgia and experience getting the autograph in-person along with something he draws for you personally in front of you for you.  From a resale standpoint, removing that emotional connection, I'd find myself hardpressed to ever buy something in the secondary market from a reseller hustling these mediocre renderings. 

I have to agree with the Beholder. I love  Miller's comic book work, especially Daredevil. But that Batman sketch and sig are pretty bad. And, to pay 250 dollars for it is nuts to me. I know he is a legend in the business and it is a personal thing but $250 to watch him sketch for probably less than a minute is a little stiff for me. Kind of like watching Stan Lee deface your valuable comic book for $150. :screwy:

21 hours ago, RB3 said:

That DD is really nice, probably would have kept that one, but I understand.  I got a Spider-Man added to my collection.  He drew it upside down over my Neal Adams, but hey, its Frank.  Better than the profile Batman in my opinion.  Congrats

IMG_1286.JPG

Miller’s Spidey resonates with me moreso than his work on DD or Batman so it was nice to see someone with one of his Spidey doodles :golfclap:

20 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

I agree 500% on that from various perspectives, including rendering quality, scarcity and comparative quality (DD vs Batman)..., but from the perspective of a fan wanting what they want, not for resale or anything, then I agree 1,000% with the exchange.  

Miller's remarks don't resemble anything close to his published artwork or his artistry at it's pinnacle and are no more than a nice autograph accompanied by a doodle, a nice souvenir but far from being aesthetic by any means, and something that could be forged or done by a child, so to me it's more about the nostalgia and experience getting the autograph in-person along with something he draws for you personally in front of you for you.  From a resale standpoint, removing that emotional connection, I'd find myself hardpressed to ever buy something in the secondary market from a reseller hustling these mediocre renderings. 

That was exactly my thinking. I've been fortunate - I was able to get awesome Batman sketches, in person, from Neal Adams, George Perez, and Jim Lee. Adding a Miller sketch, in person, was more important to me than the aesthetics of the sketch itself. Sure, the DD looks better, but I don't really see "Miller" in the sketch. The Batman, for whatever faults it might have, looks "Miller-esque" to me. I got to meet the man that introduced me to a different side of comics from GI Joe and Transformers, and that's worth so much more to me than what the sketch looks like. I'm beyond thrilled with it. 

I completely get your excitement about this sketch. I am of the age where Frank Miller was given legendary status. And then he was MIA for decades, not sketching or doing many shows. So when sketches showed for sale, they were vintage 70s-early 80s. (Well before my time) 

I NEVER imagined I’d have an opportunity to commission him.  He seemed so unobtainable. So to see him offering sketches for “only” 250 - this seems like a no brainer. 

And, as for buying these doodles on the secondary market - his dealers thought of that by only sketching on Comics and having them  CGC’d!