• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reholder submission

6 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone ever had this problem... Submitted my Batman the Killing Joke 1st print graded 9.9 to get a new holder and got a message back that the book had a scuff

mark on the book and it was being downgraded to a 9.8. I know CGC said in their website that they could do this but I still had to say something since I felt it was their error

in grading the book incorrectly. I was told that the downgrade could be because the books are not airtight in the holder, or the book was handled improperly by the owner.

There were no cracks in the cases, just a couple of faint scratches. I will not likely bid much for a 9.9 in the future knowing this could happen.CGC would not acknowledge

the possibility that they made a mistake here

You just learned a lesson the hard way. Always leave a 9.9 book alone. There is simply too many hazards involved with a reholder to risk a 9.9 grade. Between, shipping, cracking open the case, handling, encapsulation, where the slightest fail can impact the grade it is not worth it. Was it a first generation label ? Maybe the book suffered SCS (shaken comic syndrome) from the shipment. CGC is usually good about accepting responsibility so I have a feeling the book arrived with the damage already there. Do you have any pics of the book as a 9.9 ?

Can't really tell from the picture  but they recommend new holders every 7 years and since they improved the quality of their holders thought it made sense. Could have been worse, At least it wasn't

a Hulk 181 in 9.9. Would have cost me over $100,000. (not in my possession)

RADE072A2010311_112857.jpg

2 hours ago, Jeff Ritts said:

Can't really tell from the picture  but they recommend new holders every 7 years and since they improved the quality of their holders thought it made sense. Could have been worse, At least it wasn't

a Hulk 181 in 9.9. Would have cost me over $100,000. (not in my possession)

RADE072A2010311_112857.jpg

I'm confused. This book was already in a new holder ? I can tell from the cert number it was graded about 10 years ago so it must have already been reholdered. BTW, the 7 year reference came from the startup years of CGC. At the time, they could not test the lifespan of the microchamber paper and suggested it would last at least 7 years. I think they have found it can last a lot longer than 7 years, more like a lifetime.