• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often do you buy from Mile High Comics?
4 4

Buying comic books from Mile High Comics  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you buy comic books from Mile High Comics?

• Every week
    • Every month
    • Once in few months
    • Once in few years
    • Almost never
    • Never bought a single copy.
    • Never buy from them AGAIN!

108 posts in this topic

Ordered from their mail order catalog back in the late 80s/early 90s;  more than half the books were never shipped. Tossed the catalog in the trash and never looked back

15 hours ago, nepatkm said:

Just came across an invoice for purchases from 1991, and I believe the last time I purchased something from Mile High was about 11 years ago. hm

0D3FF6F5-C706-41C7-A81B-1D711CEF97B8.jpeg

CDB063FD-F258-44EA-8EEC-B0E08661DB4B.jpeg

A548A0DA-844C-4369-BAF5-7B37EE19F070.jpeg

So you're the person who bought the Robocop comic books.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

So you're the person who bought the Robocop comic books.

Yeah for 50 cents....:banana:

Chucks a weird dude but I’ll give him a pass because he rescued millions of dollars worth of Edgar Church comics set to be thrown out.  Imagine the landscape of the hobby if Chucky hadn't made that find, and everything was instead trashed. I remember that email he sent out with a girlfriend of his who was thirty years his junior.  Then there were the crop signs and UFO’s he’s supposedly seen.  I'll bet he enjoys living out in Colorado.

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, 01TheDude said:

My guess is that they are very patient and willing to wait for uninformed buyers to buy them.

I agree with a lot of what you said, however, how many uninformed buyers are there these days? 

I can see how back in the "old days" someone could charge "mile high' (aka sky high) prices for books in hopes that someone might not know where else to find the same book for less.  In todays world of the internet, however, with just a few clicks, I think most anyone could see that Mile High is IMO "off the charts" with their pricing.

Every couple of years they'll run a sale big enough that it'll make their run-fillers a bit cheaper than MCS, so I'll put an order together. I'm talking primarily $1-$3 books here, stuff I couldn't find at my LCS that I needed to fill in some gaps. That was the case a few months ago, I think it was around tax time, their books were something like 50-70% off, and that made them worth buying, per my price comparisons against MCS and eBay sellers. I have no problem with MHC charging what they charge, I just don't buy anything until the prices get where I want them to be. So I'd say, in the last 10 years or so, I've bought from them three or four times. Also, whatever people think of Chuck and his pricing, I still have a lot of nostalgia tied up in those old mail order catalogs from the 80's, and have to give him credit for contributing a great deal to my young fandom.

Edited by F For Fake

wait for the 60-70% off sale, and load up on drek fillers once every few years.

when i got back into comics around 2005 or so, i did what any naive person would do; looked up to see if the purveyor of those centerfold ads in every Marvel comic in the bronze and copper age was still in business.  i wound up buying a few slabs from them at exorbitant prices but that's my fault, not theirs.  X-Men 110 9.2 for $49, anyone?  How about a Hawkman 5 8.5 c/ow old label for $98? No? Right.

flash forward about 3 1/2 years. a new Silver/Bronze age original owner collection surfaced in St. Louis and was brought to market by a group called - at the time - Mound City Auctions.  these books had been untouched prior to slabbing and as this was at the height of the 'is it pressed/unpressed' craze going on, were very desirable for that reason.  many of the nicest books were slabbed and while it wasn't enough to constitute a pedigree - nor was that designation sought, i don't believe - it was a really nice collection that attracted a lot of attention from the community.

by all indications, the auction went really well, with both internet and live bidding.  many GPA records were set, iirc.  

roughly around a couple of weeks after the auction, Chuck sends out his MH email and announces that, due to the success of the Mound City Auction and in light of the prices realized therein, his prices on slabs were clearly too low and he was now going to raise prices accordingly, that he might be more aligned with the marketplace.

after i picked my jaw up off the floor, i replied back to their mailing list person and asked that my name be removed from their list.  everyone knows their business model is designed to appeal most to the uninformed but this was beyond the pale

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, nepatkm said:

Just came across an invoice for purchases from 1991, and I believe the last time I purchased something from Mile High was about 11 years ago. hm

0D3FF6F5-C706-41C7-A81B-1D711CEF97B8.jpeg

CDB063FD-F258-44EA-8EEC-B0E08661DB4B.jpeg

A548A0DA-844C-4369-BAF5-7B37EE19F070.jpeg

You overpaid

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, Mercury Man said:

How often do I buy from Mile High?   How often have you bare-chested-wrestled with the Animal Spirit of the Great Colorado Grizzly Bear?!?  The answer to that is never my friend............never.....

chuck.jpg

Seriously???

This is like a train wreck! 

I think I might just throw up....

5 hours ago, greggy said:

You overpaid

Yeah I know, but Wizard said that Speedball was about to take off... :sorry:

11 hours ago, Hudson said:

Seriously???

This is like a train wreck! 

I think I might just throw up....

I saw the Gandhi movie. He didn't have tattoos then.:taptaptap: