• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often do you buy from Mile High Comics?
4 4

Buying comic books from Mile High Comics  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you buy comic books from Mile High Comics?

• Every week
    • Every month
    • Once in few months
    • Once in few years
    • Almost never
    • Never bought a single copy.
    • Never buy from them AGAIN!

108 posts in this topic

My last purchase from Mile High was maybe 27+ years ago. I brought a few high grade books that come with certificates, think I still have them? I may had overpaid a bit, but time had passed by and now their values went up a bit. 

Yes, their grading were patchy.  

On 7/3/2018 at 10:04 PM, Mercury Man said:

How often do I buy from Mile High?   How often have you bare-chested-wrestled with the Animal Spirit of the Great Colorado Grizzly Bear?!?  The answer to that is never my friend............never.....

chuck.jpg

I didn't realise that those were bears.  I only ever had a cursory glance at the image from a distance, feeling no inclination to pinch magnify it for a closer inspection.  Given their location, I'd always assumed that they were cows; a pair of milkers on his pecs rather than a couple of bears.

I used to buy quite a lot from them back in the late 80's, early 90's. Hard to beat getting a bunch of fifty centers in those days.

Their trading system really sucked (send us your finest and you can get these 50 centers in return) and it took forever to get my books(6 to 7 weeks in some cases). I pulled the plug on that well over 20 years ago and have absolutely zero regrets.

I haven't bought from them in probably 10 years now.  Their website still looks as though it was created around the same time as the internet.  The UI is poor and I can never seem to easily find what I want from the search bar.  Couple that with outrageous prices and I just haven't had a need or desire to buy from them.  It's a shame because I remember seeing the ads in comics as a kid and wanting to go.  I stopped by the LA location (back when it was around) and was awestruck by the size of it.  (And that wasn't even the big one!).  Now if I'm looking to fill gaps in runs I just wait for a discount on Midtown or something.

Bought from them first at SDCC when they selling some mile high lower tier stuff 70’s ish,only did one mail order... there is a reason why I have never bought since on the mail order side. It’s a free country they can price it however they want but imagine a newcomer buying from them first...not a good long term plan, their website is sub-par but chuck wants more comics...and more...buy low and sell high.... get more comics... watch for a sale possibly to steve geppi in the future.

I checked almost never but in reality, I haven't bought from them since the 308  South Broadway Street store in Denver closed which was probably 3 decades ago.  Oh yeah and I live in Colorado now and haven't even gone to their store.

I’ve placed two orders with them. One for a few of the DC 80 pg giant reprints that came out around the beginning of the century. That was quite a few years ago.  The other was for several Daredevils between #s 40 and 60 during a 60% off sale. Both transactions were cheap and the books were graded accurately. 

Having said that, their prices are almost always beyond ridiculous so I rarely check what they try to pass off as a website.

I used to travel to Denver for business often and would stop by the Jason Street mega-store when I had time. I bought a few books that were on sale, but I mostly went to window-shop... it's a massive store. There are MUCH better LCS's in the Denver area, tho :wink:

I've never bought anything from them, but I used to always read their ads while reading a comic. Recently I was re-reading my Spideys from the beginning and I kept looking at the prices to see when certain keys would shoot up in price. It was pretty interesting. #129 was just a random cheap-o book forever! That's another one of those "I wish I had a time machine" moments lol. :cry:

I was a member of N.I.C.E.  and bought my new books from them for perhaps a couple of years in the early 90's  The discounts were pretty good and it was fun to get a box of books in the mail every month.  I took a chance and ordered big of Superman 75 death issue 100 copies as I recall.  Those took a couple of weeks longer than normal, but the order was fill.  I think on those I got  50% off  and was able to sell most of them for between 10-20 a book.  I did so well on that that I took a shot on  100 of the Die Cut cover  and Wolverine 50.  I did not do as well on those, and I must have at least 80 copies left in 9.6+.   That was the last time I really speculated on new comics.

I tried to get them to provide me a scan of a raw "near mint" marvel tales issue from the 70's I wanted to buy. I also asked how many near mint copies they had of this issue. Their reaction on the phone was somewhere between confusion & disinterest. Guy transferred me to to someone with supposedly more knowledge on back issues but of course there was no answer.

Turns out buying a book from them is maybe not as easy as I thought. Just seems like an amateurish operation with that awful website & s***ty customer service! 

Edited by MGsimba77

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Nothing gets the laughter rolling like a good Chuck thread.  How ironic that in the 1980's I would dream about purchasing some of the books Mile High was schilling.  Never did but all those who did are now sitting on a nice roi!

DBRlofcXUAAVVz2.jpg

I always wondered what some of the books were from that haul he wrote about. Thanks for posting!

6 hours ago, Ladic said:

How is he able to maintain such a large stores/warehouses? and his collection grows everyday. Do alot of people buy from him at those high prices?

No joke, the main store is gi-normous.  

There are stacks of longboxes that will make your eyes cross.  And that's just what you can see.  

He buys and stuffs. 

Patrick