• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often do you buy from Mile High Comics?
4 4

Buying comic books from Mile High Comics  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you buy comic books from Mile High Comics?

• Every week
    • Every month
    • Once in few months
    • Once in few years
    • Almost never
    • Never bought a single copy.
    • Never buy from them AGAIN!

108 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2019 at 6:54 AM, BabaLament said:

If I'm looking for something specific, nine times out of ten I can call @MrBedrock shop & they'll either have it in house, or can have it transferred to the closest location.

Then there's that 1/10.

I'll check MCS.com, post on the boards to see if any of ya'll are willing to part with (enter book here), and as a last resort eBay. If I come up short, I start making calls, including to Mile High Comics.

Mile High Comics website is abysmal; the pinnacle of 1992 website design. I ignore it, and go straight to the phone call. The people who answer the phone are always polite & helpful. If they have what I'm looking for, I have to evaluate if I'm willing to pay 20-30% over what an eBay copy is going for, while rolling the dice on their evaluation of a book's condition (if raw, not always consistent), and shipping. Sometimes, for that "gotta have it" book, its worth it. (Most) other times, its a hard pass. Still, they have their niche, and their place in the comic collecting world.

Do you ask for Chuck or Bettie when you call?

I bought regularly from them in the 80s with their 35- and 50-cent ads. I was able to accumulate a lot of cool comics, and nearly all were newsstand mint.

The last I bought from them may have been in the mid-00s, when I could go and order a ton of low-to-mid-grade romance comics for a song. Now that I am setting up at shows, however, I rarely buy anything online (except for here and eBay), and only rarely check his site. I most often look over there to see how he has priced some of the newsstand copies (or even if he has them in his database at all) when I'm doing my own pricing. It's fun to charge 95% less than what a major online retailer is asking.  

I don't mind Chuck personally -- I've met him twice, and he was very nice -- and he is straight-forward in how he runs Mile High. He's not losing sleep if we all think his business model is insane. He's still making money.

I bought from him one time by mail and a number of times at SDCC(especially HC marvel and DC books)...the packing was excellent, the price...I could of found cheaper but I was buying a set and them came as advertised the condition, if their prices would be more in line with actual value I would buy from them again.

My purchases from them have been fine. It took a long time to find worthwhile stuff on their website using a code word, but it was there. They seem to have raised their prices a lot since. 99% of it is obscenely overpriced, even with a codeword, but there is stuff on there. I didn't have a problem with the grading either. But, for example, I bought a big stack of Deadpool TPBs using a 50% or 60% off codeword for my son's birthday and, frankly, they were the cheapest place I could get them and I bought a bunch, so I saved on shipping.

I just looked. Their prices are often way lower on ebay though. Didn't really see anything on the site. A while back I cleaned them out of every copy of black lightning 1 and paid about $6 or $7 for 9.0 type copies after the codeword. But it seems like they have tripled everything in the last 4 or 5 years.

22 hours ago, RCheli said:

I most often look over there to see how he has priced some of the newsstand copies (or even if he has them in his database at all) when I'm doing my own pricing. It's fun to charge 95% less than what a major online retailer is asking.  

lol