• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art that is better because of the artist

9 posts in this topic

Let's have the antithesis of the other thread.

What art do you own, or want to own because you enjoy interactions with the artist?  Their work is better because you know they're swell people.

For me, it's Matt and Sharlene Kindt, just good people, hard working with great ideas.  IMO Mind MGMT is one of those books that snuck by way too many people, and I feel very fortunate to have 2 strong examples from the series.

Mind-MGMT_4_10.thumb.jpg.df3c45032123a0fa9187ab5ae81fab13.jpg

Mind_MGMT_12.jpg.02fd763f0a9064332729566344d4172a.jpg

I have a number of such folks:

David and Julia Petersen of Mouse Guard. David is amazingly talented. He builds models of his story sets to get the perspectives right. Here's on piece that I have by him. It wasn't done just for me, but he did suspect that I'd try to buy it. :) Click to embiggen.

image.png.486d460f656badcb74a841b9f07d9ce8.png

Jeremy Bastian of Cursed Pirate Girl. I've gotten to know Jeremy from con visits. I enjoy talking to him and love his work. I have several pieces, but this is the first and my favorite - CPG herself.

image.png.bce6fa6ff6e66d80b8e8a33a7ff0f61b.png

Like David and Jeremy, Katie Cook is from Michigan. I guess those cold winters give them time to draw and write. :) Katie is probably best known for her licensed Star Wars work (books, posters, etc.). She also wrote MLP for a number of years. Her creator owned book Gronk is a lot of fun and got her a minute or two on the Super Bowl one years - it seems that the Patriots have a player with the same name and the network wanted to clear up the confusions. :)

Here's a piece she did for me featuring her characters Dale, Gronk, and Harli meet Sugar & Spike.

image.png

If you haven't met Andy Runton at a con, make the effort to introduce yourself to him and Owly. A nicer guy and a sweeter story you simply won't find.
image.png.1211c4a718000abab3f706d1d80979f8.png

And, of course, there's my friend Thom Zahler. He's a great guy to be around and a terrific story teller. His Love and Capes is a must read in my opinion. This piece (one of several) is one of the few pieces of L&C original artwork. He's a good friend!
image.png.6ebd0b5c0afe025c04c29be8e5fa3d4b.png

There are a lot more actually. My experience with the comic artist/writer crowd is that they are generally pretty nice to be around.

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 7/3/2018 at 7:21 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I have a number of such folks:

David and Julia Petersen of Mouse Guard. David is amazingly talented. He builds models of his story sets to get the perspectives right. Here's on piece that I have by him. It wasn't done just for me, but he did suspect that I'd try to buy it. :) Click to embiggen.

image.png.486d460f656badcb74a841b9f07d9ce8.png

Jeremy Bastian of Cursed Pirate Girl. I've gotten to know Jeremy from con visits. I enjoy talking to him and love his work. I have several pieces, but this is the first and my favorite - CPG herself.

image.png.bce6fa6ff6e66d80b8e8a33a7ff0f61b.png

Like David and Jeremy, Katie Cook is from Michigan. I guess those cold winters give them time to draw and write. :) Katie is probably best known for her licensed Star Wars work (books, posters, etc.). She also wrote MLP for a number of years. Her creator owned book Gronk is a lot of fun and got her a minute or two on the Super Bowl one years - it seems that the Patriots have a player with the same name and the network wanted to clear up the confusions. :)

Here's a piece she did for me featuring her characters Dale, Gronk, and Harli meet Sugar & Spike.

image.png

If you haven't met Andy Runton at a con, make the effort to introduce yourself to him and Owly. A nicer guy and a sweeter story you simply won't find.
image.png.1211c4a718000abab3f706d1d80979f8.png

And, of course, there's my friend Thom Zahler. He's a great guy to be around and a terrific story teller. His Love and Capes is a must read in my opinion. This piece (one of several) is one of the few pieces of L&C original artwork. He's a good friend!
image.png.6ebd0b5c0afe025c04c29be8e5fa3d4b.png

There are a lot more actually. My experience with the comic artist/writer crowd is that they are generally pretty nice to be around.

Finally met Jeremy Bastian at the Motor City Con this year. Really cool guy, and phenomenally talented. I definitely want to own one of his pieces. He showed me something he was working on that was amazing. 

The other artists there I spoke to (some long time industry pros) were highly impressed by his work. 

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Finally met Jeremy Bastian at the Motor City Con this year. Really cool guy, and phenomenally talented. I definitely want to own one of his pieces. He showed me something he was working on that was amazing. 

The other artists there I spoke to (some long time industry pros) were highly impressed by his work. 

His work is amazing. I have two other pieces:

Pirate Ship (done at Rose City Comic Con in 2017, I think)

image.png.5d7184cc854dd45d3db37e6dc14b69ed.png

His first commission CPG vs. Grandfather Crab (done for Rob Stolzer and bought from Rob by my wife as a gift to me!)
image.png.aa535d4f30e0a8269f14741fe873f724.png
Click the images to see a larger view.

I have six covers by Sam Kieth but have never met him in person. Everyone I’ve talked with that has met him had only great things to say. That he was kind, very humble and generous. He did send me this great drawing/sketch as a gift. Even if I sell off my collection one day, this will be what remains. 

C900798C-90AA-453F-84E7-69B926F84356.jpeg

Everyone thinks their work is fantastic and both are as wonderful people as they are talented....Jeff Smith and George Perez.  I don't have the words to express just how nice, down-to-earth, and humble both of them are when I have had the chance to interact with them.

3 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

Everyone thinks their work is fantastic and both are as wonderful people as they are talented....Jeff Smith and George Perez.  I don't have the words to express just how nice, down-to-earth, and humble both of them are when I have had the chance to interact with them.

I agree. They are both great guys. George Perez is one of the hardest working guys on the con circuit. He sits at his table signing and drawing for as long as the show is open.

Jeff Smith did this:
Fone Bone by Jeff Smith, Comic Art

George did this for me:
Raven and Trigon by George Perez, Comic Art