• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Book Dust Jacket Art by Golden Age Comic Book Artists

75 posts in this topic

In my Bibliophilic world, I occasionally come across wonderful Dust Jackets drawn by great Comic Artists of old

For any who don't know the title, can anyone guess who drew this? (I'll reveal after guesses)

Its a wrap-around cover painting, unsigned, but credited by the publisher.

More books to follow, by the way!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

Edited by ericjmz
I am working to combine 2 threads into one

1 hour ago, ericjmz said:

In my Bibliophilic world, I occasionally come across wonderful Dust Jackets drawn by great Comic Artists of old

For any who don't know the title, can anyone guess who drew this? (I'll reveal after guesses)

Its a wrap-around cover painting, unsigned, but credited by the publisher.

More books to follow, by the way!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

Krigstein

Bitter Old Man/Randall

Correct; you win a 'No-Prize'

That s if it was due to your astute artistic eye (which I will assume)...rather than (of course) knowing the answer prior or looking it up.

So if you got that from your good eye...You are a better man than I, & congrats!

Below is the full wrap-around effect from my (pristine) copy; also the publisher's credit to Krigstein on the DJ inside front flap; the pics posted earlier were from an eBay listing of someone else.

By memory I got this very fine condition first printing about 2 years ago, via auction, being the highest of 4 bidders,for the low price of around 75.00

***Spoiler Alert***

Tomorrow, I will list the second in this series.

If you know the answer just from your knowledge, no need to post; if you can guess it from its artistry, you are King of the Mountain!

...and its gonna be a G_R_E_A_T One...really!

ericjmz

IMG_6644.JPG

IMG_6645.JPG

48 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

I have a couple of LPs that Krigstein did the art for and one is in the exact same style as this dust jacket.  I'd never seen this before, thanks for sharing!  Can't wait for the next one!!(thumbsu

When you mentioned LPs, I go back to my Molly Hatchets with the great Frazetta album covers.

@ericjmz   I too had never seen the DJ for this edition - thanks for sharing.

Edited by telerites

Hi everyone

I am working to combine this first thread...and my 2nd one entitled 'Great Dust Jackets by Golden Age artists- 2nd of a series' into a SINGLE thread entitled 'Great Book Dust Jacket Art by Golden Age Comic Book Artists'

This follows 2 requests to do so.

It'll take me a few steps...as I'm a Geezer!

Should be able to complete this over the next hour; I'll put a notice in the 2nd thread to just go here

As a heads 'up I have a cool one to list tomorrow afternoon! :-)

ericjmz

'

This, on the surface, is a Hard one to guess...but once the artist is revealed, it'll be like "of COURSE it was..!"

53507910_Rothsigcut.jpg.29d86a13aa589b33e3dca1b483ffd33d.jpg

Posted yesterday at 03:05 PM

nope; nice guess though; I like the way you think! :-)

certain 'schools'...Robinson, Chesler 'school',etc., have marked similarities as the pros taught the kids how to draw.

but NOT Robinson here

If after a day no correct guess I will reveal.

Cool cover, no? Not totally minimalistic, but certainly expressionistic!

Posted 11 hours ago

Drumroll...

its Charles BIRO

note the updated pic below, where I now reveal his iconic signature that was previously cropped

Now go back and look at all his classic CDNP covers for issues '20s thru '40s

Same approach-a single striking focal point figure, simple background, although in the book world its the implication of impending crime, vs. the in-your-face approach of the comics

Still...classic BIRO

Gotta Love it!

You folks want more...or should I stop here?

11111111.jpg

7/6 eve

Hi everyone

I've completed combing the 2 threads into one now :-)

Its now a SINGLE thread entitled 'Great Book Dust Jacket Art by Golden Age Comic Book Artists'

It starts with the 1st entry of a few days ago [The Manchurian Candidate-Krigstein]

It continues with yesterday's entry ['The Sleeper'-Charles Biro]

As a heads 'up, tomorrow's entry will be different, in that entries 1 and 2 were artists well known in the COMIC BOOK world, but close to unknown in the BOOK world

Tomorrow's will be the very converse of that

Bring on your finely tuned acumen in your guesses! :-

ericjmz

1 hour ago, ericjmz said:

7/7 eve

here we go again - Entry#3

an early Robert Heinlein dystopian novel from the late '40s

If you already know please don't reveal, but if not, from the art who do you think the Golden Age comic Artist is?

IMG_6659.JPG

No idea but I like it.