• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Book Dust Jacket Art by Golden Age Comic Book Artists

75 posts in this topic

no...but I 'see' what you see; a very nice stab at it.

and I should have added earlier, Schomburg was a VERY,VERY good guess- one I might have made myself.

I promise the answer by Monday morning, sooner if guessed (as always, with the proof, via pics :-)

ericjmz

All of what everyone has postulated WAS plausible; but alas, none correct

I am inspired by ALL you guys (& gals?)!

You bring me back to the mid-'70s - mid '90s when I voraciously collected all of this stuff, and poured over unsigned unknowns determined to uncover 'the truth', ala Machen's hapless detectives in 'The Three Imposters'

Your guesses are as fine as any I would have made...I mean that sincerely; many are even better

Late tonite -tomorrow early morn (I'm exhausted after a 24 hour though hospital call, & need to sleep) I will post the answer with picture

Take care...and I sincerely thank you all

ericjmz

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I know who the artist is.  I just didn't know he did comics.

I also thought that the artist did not draw comics, but upon checking carefully, he did.  The Heinlein novel, Sixth Column, is a great yellow peril sci fi book.  The Gnome Press books are highly collectible  I have most of the Conan books..

So the answer is:

Edd Cartier

Pics below show the full effect of his design with the spine illo included, as well as his accreditation on the inside flap

As I said when I posted the artist, it would be well known in the book world, less so in the comic world.

That being said he did a fair # of beautiful '40s Street & SmitIMG_6673.thumb.JPG.69fd57d2bd288782ce424b7efcd1c590.JPGh stuff

the MOST famous...I’m sure a lot of you have seen it as it gets reprinted an awful lot…is pic # 3 below; so beautiful!

Reminds me of Bob Powell, and I believe their respective ‘schools’ overlapped?

So that’s it :)

For my next (potential) posting, I wish to ask YOU if the following is of interest, or breaks-the-rules?

I just do not have a feel for the 'hardness' of distinction between silver age & golden age; I do not want to offend or upset as ‘unfair’

The artist I have in mind has done ‘60s stuff, probably as obscure as the above, but gorgeous cover work.

Should I post it? I don’t wish to start a 2nd ‘silver age’ page.

ericjmz

IMG_6672.JPG

cartier 1.jpg

1 hour ago, ericjmz said:

Should I post it?

Post it here (thumbsu

1 hour ago, ericjmz said:

I believe their respective ‘schools’ overlapped

Don't know if they overlapped in that sense but didn't Powell follow Cartier in drawing the spot illos in the Shadow magazines? They certainly crossed paths at S&S.

Time for Artist #4

Similar to the last entry, this is someone who is Well-known in the book world...but less so in the comics world (due to volume of work, not quality)

I present 2 books to show you the range of the artist

I will also note that they were in comics in the '60s (strictly book work in the '50s); I don't think earlier...and did some GORGEOUS Comics work then!

As always, guesses-ad infinitum allowed and encouraged...as long as you haven't 'looked-it-up' or know the answer from your personal collections

All answers/guesses, right or wrong, will be acknowledged

No correct guesses in 24 hours & I will reveal

Go at it!

eric

rotated.jpg