• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Book Dust Jacket Art by Golden Age Comic Book Artists

75 posts in this topic

It is Wrightson.

I had a UK paperback copy.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Going back to Robert E. Howard. I have the ACE PB Conan the Conqueror, The cover is not by Krenkel but Norman Saunders. Saunders did some comic book art in the early 50's, with Amazing Adventure #3 to his credit.

Ace-D36A.jpg

Norman Saunders painted many of the Topps nonsports sets including:

my favorite set of all time, Mars Attacks

19036-2__24387.1429813526_500_750.jpg.cc4bea483aaac76c9968485f1f16904e.jpg

Civil War News

painfuldeath.jpg.9b1275173c588b9bec7cda9f1b97cb9c.jpg

Battle

271236faf83f282881a538cab9b0d042--death.jpg.f47146b7df8e8cc071a5a5b652fa3028.jpg

When these cards came out, I was attending grammar school. Luckily, there was no comics code equivalent for nonsports cards.  I was happy that Fredric Wertham did not get his hands on these.  The 1962 Mars Attacks cards had limited distribution due to parental concerns.

Edited by BitterOldMan

Artist #7

Hi everyone

Back from the dead- I've been distracted, is my only excuse

We last left off with mystery Book artist # 6- Roy Krenkel

I've got two more artists to show, back-2-back; one is easy...one is hard

Here's the easy one--Artist #7

As always, guesses-ad infinitum allowed and encouraged...as long as you haven't 'looked-it-up' or know the answer from your personal collections

All answers/guesses, right or wrong, will be acknowledged

No correct guesses in 24 hours & I will reveal...I will list artist #8 this weekend

eric

Woodart.png

1 hour ago, ericjmz said:

Artist #7

Hi everyone

Back from the dead- I've been distracted, is my only excuse

We last left off with mystery Book artist # 6- Roy Krenkel

I've got two more artists to show, back-2-back; one is easy...one is hard

Here's the easy one--Artist #7

As always, guesses-ad infinitum allowed and encouraged...as long as you haven't 'looked-it-up' or know the answer from your personal collections

No correct guesses in 24 hours & I will reveal...I will list artist #8 this weekend

eric

Woodart.png

Grey Morrow! ?

"Grey Morrow! ?"

...nope :-(

"Kinda looks like Wally Wood."Woodartrevealed.thumb.jpg.e4c731e7ee91a6bfad0c86cf2ee55130.jpg

..kinda is! :-)

(with apologies to Stan Lee) you sir, win a 'No-prise'

Here below is a pic of the interior flap, with the Wood credit.

This book is from 1957, and represents Wood still in his classic (albeit post-EC) period.

The book is the last of a 7 book series, and unfortunately the worst, as it is NOT Howard.

2222.png

10/6

Artist #8

Hello again; here's the 2nd of my 'Back-2-Back(s)'

We last left off with mystery Book artist # 7 = Wally Wood, and imho, the easiest call of the series, as Wood is almost as distinctive as Steve Ditko

Here's Artist #8 - and it won't be easy!

No correct guesses in 48 hours & I will reveal...but Prove me Wrong...step up and stake your claim to the sharpest eye in comicdom!

eric

PS: the blue-light dagger is a mere artifact, ignore it

Forteart.png

17 hours ago, ericjmz said:

10/6

Artist #8

Hello again; here's the 2nd of my 'Back-2-Back(s)'

We last left off with mystery Book artist # 7 = Wally Wood, and imho, the easiest call of the series, as Wood is almost as distinctive as Steve Ditko

Here's Artist #8 - and it won't be easy!

No correct guesses in 48 hours & I will reveal...but Prove me Wrong...step up and stake your claim to the sharpest eye in comicdom!

eric

PS: the blue-light dagger is a mere artifact, ignore it

Forteart.png

I collect Gnome Press Conan books, so I won’t answer.  I rather like the blue-light dagger.

Actually, by a VERY recent coincidence I am glad you wrote.

Specifically I am NOT a Gnome Press collector (I think I own 2 Gnome Heinlein 's at that's it)...but have recently contemplated buying this series (although truth be told I wouldn't want the non-Howard, except I think the collection is worth more with it, then individually buying and choosing NOT to get it...I could be wrong

regardless I have a few very specific pricing questions from what I see as the lay-of-the-land out there

is there a way we can talk privately?

ericjmz

16 hours ago, ericjmz said:

Actually, by a VERY recent coincidence I am glad you wrote.

Specifically I am NOT a Gnome Press collector (I think I own 2 Gnome Heinlein 's at that's it)...but have recently contemplated buying this series (although truth be told I wouldn't want the non-Howard, except I think the collection is worth more with it, then individually buying and choosing NOT to get it...I could be wrong

regardless I have a few very specific pricing questions from what I see as the lay-of-the-land out there

is there a way we can talk privately?

ericjmz

Just pm me.  I will be in New York until Tuesday.  My books are back home.

Gnome Press prices are all over the place.

although I promised an answer today (48 hours) as no one hazards even a guess, I am giving it one more day to reveal

This is my 2nd favorite of the entire series of my mystery Comic-meets-the-real-book world' postings as the artist is so great, known my most, and most folks will 'see it' once they find out who

ericjmz