• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another ASM 1??

23 posts in this topic

Wow. That allows Marvel to have its cake and eat it too. 

They can reboot to get #1 issue sales whenever they want and just tell the anger fan that the legacy number is still there. Smart. 

I fell off the Spider-Man train with Slott. Just didn’t care for his stories. I am, however, pumped for this new team.  Big big fan of Ryan Ottley. 

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Might as well have every issue numbered #1 as long as the legacy number is somewhere on the cover.:insane:

(tsk) Not every issue can be #1, some have to be #X00.

Marvel probably has data that shows #1 issues sell XX% more than #random so the natural conclusion (as someone already mentioned) is for every issue to be a #1. They can release 99 #1's in a row, followed by #X00, that's the way to optimize sales. Ignore what your customers are telling you, ignore that Uncanny X-Men somehow went 544 issues without a restart (and during much of that span outsold current titles by an order of magnitude or more), just listen to the marketing department.

Coffin Comics does this with one of their titles. Every issue is #1, even though it's a continuous storyline. We are seeing things happening that we used to joke about but thought we knew it wouldn't really happen because it would be too stupid

Edited by Oat Willy1

1 hour ago, marvelcollector said:

Now, if they would start writing good stories again...

Whoa, whoa, whoa.....let's not get crazy here.  I personally have zero faith in Nick Spencer after Secret Empire.  That could have been a 2 part 'What If' story far as I am concerned.   Good old Cosmic Cube!  Always there to bail out a terrible storyline. 

54 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.....let's not get crazy here.  I personally have zero faith in Nick Spencer after Secret Empire.  That could have been a 2 part 'What If' story far as I am concerned.   Good old Cosmic Cube!  Always there to bail out a terrible storyline. 

Dan Slott followed by Nick Spencer.....:facepalm:

ASM main series hasn't been good for a decaded. The Superior change was decent, but not enough to solidify his run.

Edited by ygogolak

I'm sufficiently satisfied with the dual-number system. Reminds me of the end of Vol.2 just before they switched back with #500. I liked Slott's run for the most part, but it was time for a change. It ended well I thought. I liked Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Not many people read it, but it was pretty good. Getting ready to crack this #802 open now for a read. If you're looking for top-notch new books, check out the newest Venom run by Donny Cates & Hulk by Al Ewing. 

I think the dual numbering is a winner.. We can keep our long term arc and newcomers can feel confident of a jump on point..   So much better and easier to understand for for all.