• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this spine defect called and how does it affect grade?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Spine Chip - A small piece missing from the area of the spine. 

What makes this a more serious defect is when the paper actually chips away and leaves a small hole (or holes) in the spine edge. Even a very small hole in the spine will usually result in a significant downgrade of the book...

Edited by The Lions Den

In theory, CGC is supposed to grade flaws on the vertex of the spine the same as if they were on the cover. It is obvious the wear on your book is not production, only from wear. I can't see the rest of the book but the spine alone should keep it in the low mid grade area.

23 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

In theory, CGC is supposed to grade flaws on the vertex of the spine the same as if they were on the cover. It is obvious the wear on your book is not production, only from wear. I can't see the rest of the book but the spine alone should keep it in the low mid grade area.

Always right on the money, BB. And this is the first time I've ever seen the word "vertex" in a sentence. Yes, Mr. White, SCIENCE!  (worship)

Edited by The Lions Den
Additional info added

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Thanks for the response. I Just want to clarify this is not my comic, it's available to buy from a comic dealer. Also what is low mid grade is it 4.5, 5.0, 5.5? I have more pictures. There's no other major creases other than the spine, being the major problem.

1s-l1600.jpg

2s-l1600.jpg

5s-l1600.jpg

6s-l1600.jpg

7s-l1600.jpg

9s-l1600.jpg

11s-l1600.jpg

That's a nicely presenting 4.5/5.0, which would qualify as "low mid-grade", particularly with GA books. 

I think of mid-grade as roughly 4.5 to 7.5 , though I suppose with Bronze to Modern, 4.5 seems somewhat "low grade" and 8.0/8.5 may not seem especially "high grade".