• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 50 OA debacle?
2 2

85 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Agreed.

As a long-time Daredevil fan, I can tell you Daredevil vol. 2 # 32 is a top-5 most important book in his entire mythos.

Why?

He reveals his identity in court -- and thus to the world. And it sticks...for at least the next 60 issues. Fundamentally changes the character. And, I might add, is one of many reasons that the Bendis/Maleev run (at least # 16-80) is stronger than either of Miller's runs was in the '80s.

But...nobody was reading Daredevil in 2002-2010, so the market doesn't care.

And fanboys on this board -- most of whom are in their 40s -- weren't reading Daredevil during this period and don't even know this happened, let alone its signficance. So its a fools errand to try to convince folks that Daredevil # 16-87 (at least) is a better read than # 158-201.

Ditto, that the Netflix show (seasons 1-2) owe as much (or more) to this run than they do to Miller's two runs at the book. Only folks who have read all of the Miller and Bendis and Brubaker runs could make that judgement, but I have, and it's true.

I'm 100% on board with you.  It's an incredible run of stories.  This was the first OA I asked about when I started becoming interested in comic book art.  #disappointed

I'm unclear, was this cover sold sight unseen or just sold prior to release of comic but with image available so the buyer knew what they were getting?   Either way I don't have much sympathy for buyers remorse when you drop $18k for a cover of an  unreleased book because the hyped story didn't pan out the way you expected. 

Count me as another Bendis and company DD reader, as well as a hardcover set owner. Great stuff... but I'd say the art never reached the heights of the Miller run. I'd say why pick a 'better' between them? I'll take them both  2c

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:22 PM, Mr. Machismo said:

There is definitely some collectors who bought because it was the wedding issue. Significance and creative quality are two different things, with gimmicks like deaths, gender-swaps, marriages, etc. being what gets press coverage.

Look at the Janin cover. KNOWING THE OUTCOME, they took advantage of that and asked $18K...and it sold likely because of some pour soul’s nievity. 

I’d be ticked if I bought OA from this, expecting it to be from a cornerstone issue as far as culture significance goes. 

In fairness, folks like yourself have set the market for modern Batman art. Someone bought that cover on spec alone. I guarantee you.

3 hours ago, Endymion said:

Rafael Albuquerque's is up too - 

http://cadencecomicart.com/art.php?page=38550

And at nearly twice the price as his covers, but with no background.

I wonder if the artists of the splashes and covers were upset about the story too. They sent out those Joelle Jones wedding dress model sheets to everyone like it was happening. But bye bye big payday.

Edited by BCarter27
clarity of wording

2 hours ago, Endymion said:

Rafael Albuquerque's is up too - 

http://cadencecomicart.com/art.php?page=38550

Is that a cover (the Batman/Catwoman image) or, as listed, page 18 of the book?  

There is a Batman/Superman image that is listed as a #50 cover by Albuquerque.

28 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Is that a cover (the Batman/Catwoman image) or, as listed, page 18 of the book?  

Yes, it's one of the interior splashes -- which just makes the pricing more egregious.

RCO023.jpg

22 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Yes, it's one of the interior splashes -- which just makes the pricing more egregious.

RCO023.jpg

Wow, that's lovely!  DC is slow to sending out comps of this issue and I haven't even seen the book yet, but prices aside (and yes, I have a strong vested interest here), there are some superb images arising from this issue IMHO!

Ok, carry on with the sticker shock.

18 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

That’s a beauty! :cloud9:

The problem is, if you bought it and hung it on your walls, whenever your friends came over they'd ask "wait, are you married?" and then you'd have to explain "To Selina Kyle?  I wish!".  Or if you brought a girl back she'd ask "who's the other woman?"  Or lastly, if you are married, your wife might ask "Do you think about her when you look at me?" and you would respond, "well, you both have green eyes." and she would say "my eyes are brown!"  :insane:

On 7/10/2018 at 1:26 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

The Finch cover to Batman Rebirth 24 might have been worth it. 

EFABF700-8AD1-4067-AF97-5962E7A917A7.jpeg

They should have reprinted this with a hologram cover. 

Turn it left she says "YES"

Turn it right she say "NO"

Turn it up and down and she says "MAYBE SO, MAYBE NO"

On 7/10/2018 at 2:26 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

The Finch cover to Batman Rebirth 24 might have been worth it. 

EFABF700-8AD1-4067-AF97-5962E7A917A7.jpeg

I nearly bought that for 10K, but opted for more White Knight art as:

a) I do not like any of Tom King’s Batman. At all. 

b) For the exception of specific pieces, like the Batman 700 cover and this, Finch’s art isn’t to my personal tastes. 

c) Batman looks like he’s modelling “THE BEACH” by Calvin Klein.