• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 - Worth the gamble?

19 posts in this topic

I have an AF 15 CGC 1.0 I bought raw a number of years ago. A couple of pieces from the back cover fell off inside the bag and board before I had it slabbed. I was debating if I should crack it, tape the pieces on and gamble for a 1.5?  I always thought CGC gave a purple label to books with taped on pieces, otherwise I would've taped them on before slabbing the first time.

I wanted to get some opinions. Because looking at it now, I'm not so sure the grade would improve. There are still other small pieces missing from the front and back covers. I don't know. What do you guys think? 

DSCN1221.JPG

DSCN1531.JPG

DSCN1532.JPG

DSCN1538.JPG

DSCN1539.JPG

DSCN1541.JPG

2 hours ago, ProcessedMeatMan said:

I have an AF 15 CGC 1.0 I bought raw a number of years ago. A couple of pieces from the back cover fell off inside the bag and board before I had it slabbed. I was debating if I should crack it, tape the pieces on and gamble for a 1.5?  I always thought CGC gave a purple label to books with taped on pieces, otherwise I would've taped them on before slabbing the first time.

I wanted to get some opinions. Because looking at it now, I'm not so sure the grade would improve. There are still other small pieces missing from the front and back covers. I don't know. What do you guys think? 

DSCN1221.JPG

DSCN1531.JPG

DSCN1532.JPG

DSCN1538.JPG

DSCN1539.JPG

DSCN1541.JPG

I think you're a winner already...  :tink:

I would in no way apply tape to the book unless u are a conservation expert. I get that collectors have problems with restoration, but there is a true difference between restoration and conservation IMHO. I agree with jollycomics, contact CGC, explain the situation, If you are holding on to the book, and not selling, I would have conservation done by a pro, but that is only my opinion. Maybe CGC would consider a re holder type arrangement and include the pieces you have?? Either way, u do have a beautiful 1.0 there.

I'm surprised you didn't ask CGC this question before you sent it in the 1st time.  Reslabbing an AF15 is expensive.

I believe it would have an 80% chance at a 1.5 "conserved" label if you had the two pieces archivally taped on, and a 20% chance at a 1.8 "conserved label (in this case you really don't have to use any expensive pro conservation technique on it since the book is such low grade.  A couple of small 1/8" square pieces of archival tape on the inside cover should be enough to hold the pieces in place for reslabbing).

Which would you rather have.... a 1.0 blue like it is right now, or a 1.5 or 1.8 "Conserved".   I think most people would want the Blue label, but I think I am one who probably take the 1.5 / 1.8 conserved.  I hate the idea of those loose pieces being outside of the slab and possibly getting lost.  If you decide to stay with your Blue label MAKE SURE those pieces NEVER get separated from the slab.  Value-wise I think a 1.0 blue would be worth bout the same as a 1.5 or 1.8 conserved.

Like almost everyone has said in your thread, this is a gorgeous 1.0.  Maybe the best I've ever seen.

Edited by gadzukes