• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton rings!
6 6

244 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I agree. Every day the problem is ignored is a day that further undermines the public's perception of their motives and integrity as a grading company. Comics are a visual medium and newton rings destroy the visual aspect of the encapsulated book. No serious player would tolerate such a problem. They should be falling over themselves to solve this problem. 

Does anyone in life do the right thing anymore? 

as I said earlier it must be that they don't want to change the encapsulation materials they are currently using that cause the newton rings and only change it upon the request of the customer that returns it.

My reason why?

I believe they tested the new cases/ inner well and were very happy with the result and ordered millions of them in bulk ( bulk purchases save cost ). Then certain combinations of books + inner well + case result in newton rings. They *must* be aware of the problem as enough of these have been returned to be re-encapsulated, and know the solution but they continue to send out newton ring books because they want to go through the large inventory purchase of materials. I can't come up with any other reason as to why they continue to send books out that have newton rings other than cost/ money.

For the record, my opinion is they shouldn't send out a single book that has the effect.

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

If they can’t/won’t even get the presentation aspect of their cases right, it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in the preservation and tamper proofing aspects of the product they’re selling.

Hope they address and fix this soon cause I’m jumping on the not subbing anything right now bandwagon too.  Will also be avoiding buying anything slabbed recently.

+1.

Although I might just submit a few moderns because now I feel like I wasted money on my membership.  Moderns are all about the grade number anyway.

13 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I can't come up with any other reason as to why they continue to send books out that have newton rings other than cost/ money.

How about they just don't care?

If there is evidence that they do, say in the form of an explanatory message / apology / recovery process for those affected etc,  I haven't seen it. 

And by that, I don't mean to sound bitter, or to be making a cheap shot. I just don't see companies - big or small - doing the right thing anymore.  

On 7/5/2018 at 10:04 PM, Sqeggs said:

On my last few submissions, they seem to be worse than ever.  Agree? Disagree?

Here's a particularly bad example.  When they disfigure Marilyn, they've gone too far! :sumo:

2018-07-05-0001_zpsnvjwgvnp.JPG

Not this cr@p again :facepalm:

Man, I appreciate this thread but it’s super depressing. Was planning to send in the largest submission I’ve ever sent in the next few weeks. Not sure what to do other than wait for hopefully better news... I definitely don’t want to wait many months to get back cases that look like these, and I will not have the time and bandwidth to go back and forth with CGC to fix these problems.

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

Man, I appreciate this thread but it’s super depressing. Was planning to send in the largest submission I’ve ever sent in the next few weeks. Not sure what to do other than wait for hopefully better news... I definitely don’t want to wait many months to get back cases that look like these, and I will not have the time and bandwidth to go back and forth with CGC to fix these problems.

They are counting on that.

I don't wish to toss gasoline on a smoldering fire, but it's surprising that the folks in charge seem to be ignoring this issue or waiting for folks to register full throated complaints.  IMO, any Newton Ring problem warrants the company's attention, but the visual nasties compromising that cover of Sweethearts #119 are totally beyond the pale.  

Conservatively, I suspect over 50% of CGC's client base submits books with the idea of future sales or auctions.  Newton Rings make books infinitely less appealing to a dealer's customers, reducing sales prospects.  If that isn't of paramount concern to CGC's QC, then the grading service isn't serving their customers adequately.  That's the unvarnished bottom line, without bias.

Full disclosure: the only CGC books I purchase these days are old label & holder.  I guess it's pretty obvious why.  Hopefully the company will take the initiative to resolve this prickly problem before it drives customers elsewhere.  My 2 cents, for whatever it's worth.

On 7/14/2018 at 2:38 PM, Point Five said:

I would be inclined to hold off on your submission until we see how -- if it all -- the issue is resolved.

On 7/13/2018 at 3:46 PM, Artboy99 said:

as I said earlier it must be that they don't want to change the encapsulation materials they are currently using that cause the newton rings and only change it upon the request of the customer that returns it.

Are they changing out cases at customer request? Other posts seem to indicate a lack of responsiveness. 

4 hours ago, rjpb said:

Are they changing out cases at customer request? Other posts seem to indicate a lack of responsiveness. 

But if CGC is still using their inventory of flawed holders, then it makes no sense to ask them to re-holder the books. They'll be as Newton'd as before. Maybe that's why CGC has no rational response for their customers right now.

4 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

But if CGC is still using their inventory of flawed holders, then it makes no sense to ask them to re-holder the books. They'll be as Newton'd as before. Maybe that's why CGC has no rational response for their customers right now.

...and if you can resubmit and get a ring free reslab, why can't you get one in the first instance?

3 hours ago, Bumble Kitty said:

I received a batch of books...with Newton rings.  I didn't pay for the "rings", so I guess they were thrown in for free. :jokealert:

Here are the worst three books:

MyLoveSto 4 front.jpg

MySecretStor 26 front.jpg

Love At Fir 6 front.jpg

Does it spoil your enjoyment of the books?

5 hours ago, Bumble Kitty said:

I received a batch of books...with Newton rings.  I didn't pay for the "rings", so I guess they were thrown in for free. :jokealert:

:(

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I've managed to translate the title. It says:

"Wha fah going on. All books hah new ton ring. Fah disappointed. Will complain to Trinity Western University."

7 hours ago, Bumble Kitty said:

MyLoveSto 4 front.jpg

MySecretStor 26 front.jpg

Love At Fir 6 front.jpg

That's not good :(

Are you going to let CGC know about this? Everyone should bring this to their attention.