• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton rings!
6 6

244 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

But if CGC is still using their inventory of flawed holders, then it makes no sense to ask them to re-holder the books. They'll be as Newton'd as before. Maybe that's why CGC has no rational response for their customers right now.

Perhaps. But the problem may have to due with the encapsulation process rather than the materials.

Though we saw Newton Rings on the previous generation slab, it was not to the extent we are currently seeing. The Newton Rings appear when the inner well is pressed against the case. With the Previous generation slab, you could slide something (I used an envelope) into the slab, wiggle it around to cause separation,  and they would disappear. Worked everytime. The new slabs are very tight and you cannot slide anything in there = the trick no longer works. IMO, it's not the fault of the materials but the fact that the slabs are so snug. I think it is worse on thicker books, especially GA. I hardly see it on my SA purchases. Regarding CGC QC, I think the books sometimes leave the facility fine but develop the Newton Rings in transit. I bought a book that had no Newton Rings in the pictures but after a very tight, bullet proof shipment, it developed Newton Rings. I left it free standing, no pressure, in a climate controlled environment and, for the most part, the rings went away. I've also noticed that by storing the book on it's side, loosely fit into a storage box, the problem lessens. Store the books upright, tightly fit in a storage box and the rings stay.

20 hours ago, Bumble Kitty said:

I received a batch of books...with Newton rings.  I didn't pay for the "rings", so I guess they were thrown in for free. :jokealert:

Here are the worst three books:

MyLoveSto 4 front.jpg

MySecretStor 26 front.jpg

Love At Fir 6 front.jpg

Bummer!

Just received my answer from CGC:

"There are Newton Rings present in all of our encapsulated books, these are considered normal and acceptable. Reholder service is available, however there is no guarantee that reholdering will eliminate or diminish the presence of Newton Rings."

I don't know what I find more disturbing, the admission that all CGC slabs have Newton Rings or the fact they consider them normal and acceptable. Acceptable to the company perhaps, but certainly not to their customers.

37 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Just received my answer from CGC:

"There are Newton Rings present in all of our encapsulated books, these are considered normal and acceptable. Reholder service is available, however there is no guarantee that reholdering will eliminate or diminish the presence of Newton Rings."

I don't know what I find more disturbing, the admission that all CGC slabs have Newton Rings or the fact they consider them normal and acceptable. Acceptable to the company perhaps, but certainly not to their customers.

That’s really discouraging. Were you asking about the rings in general, or were you bringing some of these poor recent examples to their attention?

Sounds like they are ok with their customers books being visually unappealing as long as people keep paying for the crappy product. Many years ago I was having some windows on my truck tinted and the guy kept screwing it up, leaving noticeable bubbles, and tried to give me almost the same excuse. He wasn’t in business very much longer as he had other competitors.

Edited by fett

3 minutes ago, Point Five said:

That’s really discouraging. Were you asking about the rings in general, or were you bringing some of these poor recent examples to their attention?

It was a specific request re: my own ASM 50. An image was attached to the e-mail. This is what they consider "normal and acceptable":

2095233189_ASM50.thumb.jpg.a4d4b2e816626

From the website: "CGC is careful to make certain that the comics it certifies are not only accurately graded, but attractively presented as well."

Who considers a sea of newton rings across the face of a comic attractive? rantrant

Edited by Black_Adam

10 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Oh my.  :(

It's doubly frustrating for me because, while every one of my slabs invariably ends up in a longbox, this is the one comic I had signed and graded with the specific intent of being able to display it. :frustrated:

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

CGC did reach out to me about this yesterday, but I haven't yet connected with them. 

I'm hopeful you will get a better response than I did. I know a name like mine barely makes a ripple in the CGC pond but I think they'll take notice when the big fish start circling! :jaws:

I bought a slabbed Adam Hughes cover which had rings (when they first introduced the newest slabs), and CGC reslabbed for me at no expense to myself.  That was when the problem first became evident.  It's just a hassle that I want to avoid dealing with, and I don't really like CGC having to pay for all these resubs when it seems to be a manufacturing problem.  CGC should be refunded by the slab manufacturer (or whomever designed these new cases).  However, it does reflect poorly on CGC.