• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton rings!
6 6

244 posts in this topic

In short, earlier submissions had very easily seen ring effects.  The most recent batch still has them, but you have to actively look for them and they are not as distracting as those from earlier this year.

thrilling46a.thumb.jpg.6222b4af41ff9646c75fd34ea3f52818.jpg

thrilling46b.jpg.43ee317387cecf9c1fd1eb299ba13efa.jpg

Edited by walclark
changed image due to double post

2 hours ago, walclark said:

There are about a dozen parallel scratches running horizontally across the logo area

So, I'll admit I've never cracked a slab so don't have a great grasp on the inner construction and exactly how its all pieced together.  These scratches on the interior...any clue how or why that's happening? 

I know the books don't move around much in the slab but is it possible the scratched inner surface of the holders is providing a rough surface that could potentially damage the cover as it rubs up against it?  Either by snagging it or creating indentations if the piece of plastic pressing up against the cover isn't totally smooth.

5 hours ago, szavisca said:

So, I'll admit I've never cracked a slab so don't have a great grasp on the inner construction and exactly how its all pieced together.  These scratches on the interior...any clue how or why that's happening? 

I know the books don't move around much in the slab but is it possible the scratched inner surface of the holders is providing a rough surface that could potentially damage the cover as it rubs up against it?  Either by snagging it or creating indentations if the piece of plastic pressing up against the cover isn't totally smooth.

I would think (hope) that the scratches are not on the inside of the inner well - and thus never come in contact with the comic itself, but I don't know for sure. :(Regardless, I'm as concerned about scratches as I am about Newton Rings. Sqeegs, were there scratches on your recent reholders?

18 minutes ago, walclark said:

@skypinkblu Sharon, didn’t you have some decent pictures of the scratches on the inside of the slabs?  I can’t get a good shot of them.

I don't know if I do, Walter, but I will look. To me, the scratches looked like there were from some kind of polishing implement, not something from an inner well. I don't know how hard  plastic is polished, but from my experience with glass, it might be some kind of polishing wheel.

They don't bother me nearly as much as the rings.

I'm going through 2 boxes that I got yesterday.  A lot of the books are better, so far only 12 out of 35 books have rings, most are as Walter said "Mitigated" but I just found this one. There are 3 others that are pretty bad. On the others, the rings are on colors not the faces, but I have to wait till it stops raining and look in sunlight.

There shouldn't be an "only" I know that, but I want to give people credit for improving, last time 41 out of 50 books had rings.

2059853042_wonderwoman108cgcnewtonrings0001.thumb.jpg.a176236405673cf7aeada2b7dea303ab.jpg

41 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm going through 2 boxes that I got yesterday.  A lot of the books are better, so far only 12 out of 35 books have rings, most are as Walter said "Mitigated" but I just found this one. There are 3 others that are pretty bad. On the others, the rings are on colors not the faces, but I have to wait till it stops raining and look in sunlight.

There shouldn't be an "only" I know that, but I want to give people credit for improving, last time 41 out of 50 books had rings.

2059853042_wonderwoman108cgcnewtonrings0001.thumb.jpg.a176236405673cf7aeada2b7dea303ab.jpg

Yikes!  That one looks as bad as the earlier ones before they recently tweaked the system.  Pain in the neck to do so, but you should probably send it back.

Since they seem to have a fix for the problem, you wonder how that one got through QC.

2 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I would think (hope) that the scratches are not on the inside of the inner well - and thus never come in contact with the comic itself, but I don't know for sure. :(Regardless, I'm as concerned about scratches as I am about Newton Rings. Sqeegs, were there scratches on your recent reholders?

I think that there are a few now that I've looked for them.  Check the area above Sweethearts in this scan.  Seem to be a number of them.  I wish they weren't there, but I'm not particularly distracted by them (or I wasn't until I realized they were there!), so I don't consider this a big issue.

My guess is that they are on the inside of the slab, so I don't think they pose a hazard to the book. 

2018-08-31-0001_zpsbndudef4-2.JPG

Well, I just discovered something odd.  If you pop over to the romance thread you can see a book that seems largely NR-free in hand and when photographed but that appears in a scan to have significant NRs.  Don't know what to make of it ....

1 hour ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:
2 hours ago, buttock said:

So are they sanding the inner surface to reduce contact for Newton rings? 

The same thought occurred to me :(

Honestly, I'm not too worried about the scratches.  It would certainly be better if they weren't there, but they don't seem to detract much from the appearance of the slabbed book.  But, then, I've not been particularly bothered buying slabs that have surface scuffs from rattling around in dealers' boxes.

Kind of OT, but I recently bought a book that had both a CLink label and a dealer's label on the back of the slab.  First time I've encountered two labels on the same book.  I used to carefully peel off the CLink labels -- needed a PDI pad to manage it.  Lately, though, I just leave them on.  I know that @Cat-Man_America will consider this another indication of my low standards. :sorry:

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, I just discovered something odd.  If you pop over to the romance thread you can see a book that seems largely NR-free in hand and when photographed but that appears in a scan to have significant NRs.  Don't know what to make of it ....

Most romances end up like that.