• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton rings!
6 6

244 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

That said, when my Spidey sense is tingling, I can't ignore it. 

Yep, it is probably time to take a dump.

9 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Any new developments on this?

I was told yesterday that they were still working on why Newton rings are as bad as they are on some books. hm

Just now, Point Five said:
33 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I was told yesterday that they were still working on why Newton rings are as bad as they are on some books. hm

They still haven't tracked down that one guy?  :(

They've been questioning the whole staff, but they told me that, unfortunately, they discovered that there is no such thing as truth serum. 

On 8/14/2018 at 4:09 PM, Sqeggs said:

They've been questioning the whole staff, but they told me that, unfortunately, they discovered that there is no such thing as truth serum. 

I understand that there have been some exciting advances in the field of waterboarding lately.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:09 PM, Sqeggs said:

I'm sure that CGC hires only the best people.  It's a sign of the times when tape removal refers to recordings, not book preservation.  hm

14 hours ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

Apologies if this was addressed earlier in this thread: is it true that CGC is seeing the rings before they leave to be shipped?

You would think the rings would be evident to whoever is doing the quality control checks.  The book I just posted was graded August 1, which is well after they became aware that there was a problem.  Yet it went through the QC stage without being sent back.

7 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You would think the rings would be evident to whoever is doing the quality control checks.  The book I just posted was graded August 1, which is well after they became aware that there was a problem.  Yet it went through the QC stage without being sent back.

Agreed ... if QC sees it and allows it to move on, then that says a mouthful! However, if they do not see it, and it happens after it leaves the building, then .... what? 

6 hours ago, BuscemasAvengers said:
6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Agreed ... if QC sees it and allows it to move on, then that says a mouthful! However, if they do not see it, and it happens after it leaves the building, then .... what? 

Possible, I suppose, but it seems unlikely to me.  Not a point that I've heard CGC make either during the current problem or during the earlier episode of bad Newton rings.

If it's a question of time, CGC could take some SA and GA books (it seems to be with these books that the problem is most likely to arise), encapsulate them, and put them aside for a month or so to see if rings develop.

It's possible that rings develop because slabs are squeezed together in the 20 slab shipping boxes.  Again, CGC could test this possibility by mailing books across the country to see what happens.  The book I posted earlier today was a single book submission, so it was shipped in a regular box, wrapped in bubble wrap and not pressed tightly against another book.

My guess is that the rings are visible at the qc step but appear on so many books that the qc people have been told not to kick them back for this reason. 

27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

It's possible that rings develop because slabs are squeezed together in the 20 slab shipping boxes.  Again, CGC could test this possibility by mailing books across the country to see what happens.  The book I posted earlier today was a single book submission, so it was shipped in a regular box, wrapped in bubble wrap and not pressed tightly against another book.

I was picking up a SA slab a week ago.  I grabbed it in the center, instead of the edges.  I saw newton rings.  I put the slab down, and they were gone.  I think a small part of the problem might be from pressure applied to the center of the slab.  

34 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have had Newton rings on my last several submissions but I got a dozen books in on Monday with no rings. Hopefully this is resolved now. 

I hope so Rick ... Don't want to send down my Young Allies 6 and my Mystic 15 until there's consistency in the slabs showing no rings ... Would be nice if over the next few weeks other boardies who get their slabs back could report here what they see ...

12 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Got this one back about a week ago.  While not as awful as some of the books I posted earlier, if you look closely at the woman, you can see that it's still pretty bad. 

2018-08-16-0001_zps8ikj800p.JPG

Rings or no rings, the reds, yellows and oranges are quite vivid on this book! Outstanding copy!

14 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Got this one back about a week ago.  While not as awful as some of the books I posted earlier, if you look closely at the woman, you can see that it's still pretty bad. 

2018-08-16-0001_zps8ikj800p.JPG

On the plus side, at least it's another Matt Baker cover that ventures into SOTI territory, ...even if caused by a Newton Ring.  :gossip: