• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COUNTERFEITED CGC Graded Book?

27 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, MadGenius said:

The lesson learned here is not all CGC 9.8 books are created equal. Buy the book and not the label. Of course, one could wonder why some of the nicer looking 9.8s are not 9.9s, but that's a conversation for another day.

Yes, one wonders that on a regular basis. 

55 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I promise I won't flip out...

...this time.

:D

lol

I'm a dunce.  Fixed. 

Just now, Turtle said:

I actually agree with you.  I think disagreeing with the CGC-assigned grade where no in-slab damage seems to have occurred is a pretty flimsy reason for a return. 

If I were in the situation and the slab arrived undamaged and the comic exhibited no signs of SCS (shaken comic syndrome) but I wasn't happy with the item overall, I'd likely list it for sale myself. 

I always try to put myself in the other person's shoes in these situations.  That's why my initial post noted that the seller did nothing wrong.  An undamaged 9.8 slab was delivered. 

I wrote what I wrote because it seemed that the buyer had already mentally committed to returning the book. 

Just now, MadGenius said:

IMO, the issue doesn't warrant a return. The buyer got exactly what he paid for. The bindery tears are visible in the photo and the seller delivered the exact item pictured safely. I think the buyer needs to eat this one. If he doesn't like the book, he can sell it and try to recoup his money. I don't think the seller should be held responsible for a soft grade by CGC.

Not returning it.  It's not worth the hassle when I only paid $40.  For the price of the book raw, fee to get it graded, and shipping for everything, the seller broke even or even lost a little money.  Just gonna hold on to it, move on, and pay more attention next time.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:01 PM, cowboynightshift said:

Not returning it.  It's not worth the hassle when I only paid $40.  For the price of the book raw, fee to get it graded, and shipping for everything, the seller broke even or even lost a little money.  Just gonna hold on to it, move on, and pay more attention next time.

I think you'll get some good karma for that decision.  (thumbsu

I purchased a book about a year ago and it arrived with one staple. I thought for sure the person pulled the book and replaced it with another book. The book looks perfect besides the missing staple. Also, there was no staple hole where the staple should have been. It was a manufacturing error. Book was produced this way. Anyway, I called CGC and they confirmed that the missing staple would not degrade the book. I was surprised since I have never seen a 9.8 CGC graded book with a missing staple. So, I guess anything is possible when it comes to grading.