• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Modern Characters Buy/Spec, Sell, or Hold
1 1

87 posts in this topic

So this topic boils into discussion everywhere. We have 4 major characters in the modern era currently that are on the way up. They are the following below.
Don't suggest anyone else we are sticking to these 4 characters in this thread. Why? Because its my thread. :sumo:

1.) Miles Morales
2.) Spider Gwen
3.) Silk
4.) Kamala Khan

Now each are either a buy, sell, or hold and explain why.  Summarize your responses keep them somewhat sort as the attention span of the younger generation is you know short. lol

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Don't suggest anyone else we are sticking to these 4 characters in this thread. Why? Because its my thread. :sumo:

1.) Mike Morales

Definitely buying on that Mike Morales guy.  Class act.

I'd also add the lesser known Miles Morales to the list... but I can't.  You know, with the rules of the thread and all.

:foryou:

See I am the opposite. I will point out that none of them could not maintain their own books which is not a good sign 
to begin with.

I am currently selling Morales only because I bought about 1/2 dozen for 3 bucks each including 3 newsstands.

Silk I am holding now after some profit taking early and I am buying when I find she is cheap. She is the only one
I feel confident currently will maintain or exceed her value because she has been cast in a movie not some
animated flick. Cindy Moon has already showed up in a Spider-man Flick.

Gwen I got nothing in because I thought she was a loss from the beginning, but if you got in early I would be selling.
Of the 4 she has the least potential in my opinion. Someone please don't talk about Cosplay they don't spend money
on comics. 

And Kamala is just way to early for me I would say I hold if I had them. I have sold all here Marvel Now Point 1 appearances for $25-40.
and 2nd prints ($80-100) when those speculator sites told all their lemmings to buy them. I think there is promise there, but she 
cant maintain a book yet. We have to hope for movie hype.

I’ve got lots of Gwen and very little Miles but I’m slowly buying up more Miles. It helps that my son like the series. I seem to find Gwen more than the others in the wild so maybe that’s why I have so much of her. 

Edited by HookemNC

On 7/6/2018 at 7:28 PM, fastballspecial said:

See I am the opposite. I will point out that none of them could not maintain their own books which is not a good sign 
to begin with.

I am currently selling Morales only because I bought about 1/2 dozen for 3 bucks each including 3 newsstands.

Silk I am holding now after some profit taking early and I am buying when I find she is cheap. She is the only one
I feel confident currently will maintain or exceed her value because she has been cast in a movie not some
animated flick. Cindy Moon has already showed up in a Spider-man Flick.

Gwen I got nothing in because I thought she was a loss from the beginning, but if you got in early I would be selling.
Of the 4 she has the least potential in my opinion. Someone please don't talk about Cosplay they don't spend money
on comics. 

And Kamala is just way to early for me I would say I hold if I had them. I have sold all here Marvel Now Point 1 appearances for $25-40.
and 2nd prints ($80-100) when those speculator sites told all their lemmings to buy them. I think there is promise there, but she 
cant maintain a book yet. We have to hope for movie hype.

What Marvel comic has been ongoing for the past 10 years?

Amazing Spider-Man (well, kind of), Deadpool? (Different series / crossovers) X-Men (a team that changes) Wolverine? (He dead, well was, Old Man Logan count?) X-23 (cancelled to bring back Wolverine)

Marvel is not in the business of ongoing series anymore. I don't find it a good indicator of popularity.

The only one I don't like is Spider-Gwen because she's based on a dead character.

Miles is interesting now that Secret Wars Vol. 8 or whatever basically killed off different universe's. I think there is room for multiple Spiders.

Ms. Marvel is a good, different story. It just may take a while to become more popular. Newer readers.

Edited by ygogolak

Morales is Silver to me.  He's had a ton of issues on his own and is pretty interesting. 

I'm finding that I get irritated now when a new Spider-man movie comes out and it's a new white kid.  Never thought I'd say that.  I'd love to see them film it with an African American kid and let the big reveal happen during the movie.  But there is pretty much no chance that happens (unless they "filmed" two movies at once - a fake and a real one in hiding). 

Reason I say Silver, I'm only concerned about his 1st appearance.  Don't really care that it came from that mini. 

Patrick

Miles - buy. Huge potential comic collecting market.

Spider-Gwen and Silk - buy/sell opportunities for both with these depending on the day.

Kamala- sell. Good new character but books seem hugely overpriced and somewhat propped up. 

Example- Raw Ms Marvel #1 sold for $74.99 today.

Raw Wolverine (1982) #1 in NM 9.4 sold for $85 this week. 

The books are 30 plus years apart and one of the characters is hugely popular with the masses whilethe other which is somewahat popular with modern comic collectors. Disney is pushing her and its working but Logan she ain’t.

9 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

So this topic boils into discussion everywhere. We have 4 major characters in the modern era currently that are on the way up. They are the following below.

1.) Miles Morales
2.) Spider Gwen
3.) Silk
4.) Kamala Khan

Now each are either a buy, sell, or hold and explain why.  Summarize your responses keep them somewhat sort as the attention span of the younger generation is you know short. lol

Not a fan of any of these as you might surmise. :grin: My experience has always been, buy what you like or buy them all and wait 25 years.  But I do appreciate the thread and enjoy the opinions that others have expressed. (:

Kamala Khan's comic isn't going anywhere unless G. Willow Wilson decides to end it. Ms. Marvel doesn't sell a ton of floppies every month but she does VERY well in digital and TPB sales. Same reason why Squirrel Girl is nearing the 50 issue mark.

Edited by MadGenius

Just now, MadGenius said:

Kamala Khan's comic isn't going anywhere unless G. Willow Wilson decides to end it. Ms. Marvel doesn't sell a ton of floppies every month but she does VERY well in digital and TPB sales. Same reason why Squirrel Girl is nearing the 50 issue mark.

On the flip side, Kamala Khan has the murkiest 1st appearance situation of any of these characters. IMO, All-New Marvel Now Point One #1 is the one you want because that is the 1st full appearance and 1st Kamala Khan story. Captain Marvel #14 is a joke and #17 you never see her face and her powers don't manifest the same way they do in the Ms. Marvel series. People love that CM #17 2nd print because she's on the cover, but I can't really get behind that one either.

7 hours ago, MadGenius said:

It is easy to find floppy and TPB distribution on Comichron and other sites but have never seen the digital numbers anywhere. These are very important numbers imo because the people who buy digital are readers. No spec to be had there. Where do you get them ?

On the flip side, Kamala Khan has the murkiest 1st appearance situation of any of these characters. IMO, All-New Marvel Now Point One #1 is the one you want because that is the 1st full appearance and 1st Kamala Khan story. Captain Marvel #14 is a joke and #17 you never see her face and her powers don't manifest the same way they do in the Ms. Marvel series. People love that CM #17 2nd print because she's on the cover, but I can't really get behind that one either.

It appears someone strongly agrees with you on the Point One

15 copies for $25 each

48 minutes ago, the authority said:

It appears someone strongly agrees with you on the Point One

15 copies for $25 each

Really value wise its the only book to chase with her. The prices on the other so called "books to have" have gone well past the price for the average collector. 

9 hours ago, MadGenius said:

Ms Marvel is selling about 14-15k.

Squirrel Girl has over a year of issues to go before it gets to #50 and the last month it was only about 9k in sales. 

Gwenpool was selling about 13k when it was cancelled. 

Only thing that would make sense is that Gwen doesn't sell as well in trades and digital. Or maybe there is some other plan for her?

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Thanks for bringing up tpb sales I sometimes forget that.

That 2nd print issue has no room to grow unless they sucker someone to paying 1k

The last 7 sales for a 9.8 were over $1k.