• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Modern Characters Buy/Spec, Sell, or Hold
1 1

87 posts in this topic

People seem to like Miles, which leads me to say he has a good creative team supporting the character with storytelling, more so than just pretty pictures and flashy artwork.

Kamala Khan seems forced into popularity via the PC ain't it cool world, of she's Pakistani and Muslim race/religion card route.  Nothing too dynamic about her as a brilliant character.  I sort of feel, with all of these existing characters being reimagined as a new ethnicity or gender, the ultimate character to create would be an Elderly Buddhist Transgender Homosexual Physically Disabled Bi-Racial with Downs Syndrome to take over the mantle of an existing popular character like Deadpool.

Spider-Gwen is visually cool, driven by great art, good writing and a unique twist, so feels like there can be more substance to develop upon here if they stray away from the whole Spider-Gwen Stacy aspects of her name.

Silk seems like yet another young female super hero, but has the potential of all to be most unique and break free from being a copy cat lame creation.

So, I'd probably be a buyer of Silk and Miles.  At current prices I'd sell Kamala.  I'd hold Spider-Gwen despite the high prices that seem overpriced.

6 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

People seem to like Miles, which leads me to say he has a good creative team supporting the character with storytelling, more so than just pretty pictures and flashy artwork.

Kamala Khan seems forced into popularity via the PC ain't it cool world, of she's Pakistani and Muslim race/religion card route.  Nothing too dynamic about her as a brilliant character.  I sort of feel, with all of these existing characters being reimagined as a new ethnicity or gender, the ultimate character to create would be an Elderly Buddhist Transgender Homosexual Physically Disabled Bi-Racial with Downs Syndrome to take over the mantle of an existing popular character like Deadpool.

Spider-Gwen is visually cool, driven by great art, good writing and a unique twist, so feels like there can be more substance to develop upon here if they stray away from the whole Spider-Gwen Stacy aspects of her name.

Silk seems like yet another young female super hero, but has the potential of all to be most unique and break free from being a copy cat lame creation.

So, I'd probably be a buyer of Silk and Miles.  At current prices I'd sell Kamala.  I'd hold Spider-Gwen despite the high prices that seem overpriced.

Why is Miles "cool" and Kamala is a SJW character? You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Marvel has distribution deals through Scholastic for Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur and possibly a few others. This is a BIG money maker for Marvel as they sell a ton of TPBs through Scholastic. This program is doing what many industry analysts have been asking for for years - getting comics in the hands of kids. In 15-20 years, when the kids of today are adults with disposable income, these characters 1st appearances will be the keys of the next generation.

29 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

Marvel has distribution deals through Scholastic for Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur and possibly a few others. This is a BIG money maker for Marvel as they sell a ton of TPBs through Scholastic. This program is doing what many industry analysts have been asking for for years - getting comics in the hands of kids. In 15-20 years, when the kids of today are adults with disposable income, these characters 1st appearances will be the keys of the next generation.

Cool, was not aware of that. Are they new stories or just the regular issues?

1 hour ago, MadGenius said:

Its how Bone became successful I think.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Cool, was not aware of that. Are they new stories or just the regular issues?

Marvel distributes the standard TPB collections through Scholastic. The collections have a larger profit margin than the floppies which is why Marvel is all too happy to continue publishing those titles that "don't sell well" as monthlies. 

Edited by MadGenius

43 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

Marvel distributes the standard TPB collections through Scholastic. The collections have a larger profit margin than the floppies which is why Marvel is all too happy to continue publishing those titles that "don't sell well" as monthlies. 

Ha, no doubt, thanks!

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Its how Bone became successful I think.

Looks like it still is! I don't see Squirrel Girl on their website though.

https://shop.scholastic.com/parent-ecommerce/search-results.html?search=1&prefilter=&text= Comic Books and Graphic Novels,

3 hours ago, MadGenius said:

100% agree, moon girl 1, and devil dinosaur 1 from the 70s are cheap books to buy now and sell in 15 years. devil dino 1 is a prime example of a perfect long term hold. kirby character, bronze age, currently undervalued. ive been buying up cgc 9.8s for 100-125 

Edited by williamblood

On 7/6/2018 at 4:34 PM, fastballspecial said:

1.) Miles Morales
2.) Spider Gwen
3.) Silk
4.) Kamala Khan

Does anybody know what the print runs for their first appearances are?

I think that should be considered for future long-term value, as well as if they become hot tv/movie properties.

An example is which one of these has the lowest print run and also which one has the largest print run?

21 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think maybe we should add Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl to the list as well and make it six. All six have huge movie/tv potential with Disney.

:fear:

I didn't think about that till afterwards. I would definitely add Squirrel Girl, but Moon Girl currently I think is just a speculator dream till some
more concrete occurs. When the show airs we can add her as well.  All of them soon will have some sort of animated show or movie.
So it makes them all even at that level. Then the discussion gets interesting as they would all be at an even level playing field. Then it 
becomes more about appeal, readership, and long term vision.

Edited by fastballspecial

If we're adding Squirrel Girl to the mix, then she's #1. All the others are derivative characters whose popularity, particularly with the spider characters, will always be a fraction of the original. Squirrel Girl doesn't have that baggage and is probably the most popular of the bunch in the mainstream. And that's without any kind of TV show or movie to raise awareness. 

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Does anybody know what the print runs for their first appearances are?

I think that should be considered for future long-term value, as well as if they become hot tv/movie properties.

An example is which one of these has the lowest print run and also which one has the largest print run?

Print run is pretty irrelevant. It's more of which will be the most popular and thus tip the scales of demand>supply.

I am in disbelief that we are discussing the 'investment' strategy of the 4 aforementioned characters.  As MadGenius pointed out 3 are basically poor man Spidey knock offs, and Ms. Marvel is getting outsold by Go Go Power Rangers, and Mera Queen of Atlantis.  Have at it though.  I mean even Silver Sables first appearance has come around.  (shrug)

25 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I am in disbelief that we are discussing the 'investment' strategy of the 4 aforementioned characters.  As MadGenius pointed out 3 are basically poor man Spidey knock offs, and Ms. Marvel is getting outsold by Go Go Power Rangers, and Mera Queen of Atlantis.  Have at it though.  I mean even Silver Sables first appearance has come around.  (shrug)

I disagree these characters have huge markets outside the LCS, plus some would say Venom was a knock-off if we go by that criteria. Also look how popular Supergirl and Batgirl's first appearances are.

If you look at the Amazon sales charts these characters are some of Marvel's most popular.

I think Fastballspecial is on to something with thinking out of the box with these characters. These characters have built up huge followings. I have a friend who does analytics for social media and he tells me these characters get many views on Pinterest and Instagram. He was surprised at how popular they were.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

9 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

The monthly sales charts are quickly becoming irrelevant. More and more people are turning to digital and trades to consume comics. I've been collecting comics for a loooong time and my habits have definitely changed. I used to pull 20-30 books every month and now I only buy about 6 titles a month - those being the titles I want to collect. When you factor in digital sales and, more importantly, TPB sales the titles/characters that seem to generate no interest based on their position on the monthly sales charts suddenly look much more popular when viewed with a wider lens.

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I didn't think about that till afterwards. I would definitely add Squirrel Girl, but Moon Girl currently I think is just a speculator dream till some
more concrete occurs. When the show airs we can add her as well.  All of them soon will have some sort of animated show or movie.
So it makes them all even at that level. Then the discussion gets interesting as they would all be at an even level playing field. Then it 
becomes more about appeal, readership, and long term vision.

Also I will add they will have Disney a marketing machine on steroids behind them. Hard to beat that.

Groot and Rocket Racoon are prime examples of characters that went to another level of popularity once they made their film debut.

The hard part though would be to figure out which of these like you say will hit the homerun and not the single?

9 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Also I will add they will have Disney a marketing machine on steroids behind them. Hard to beat that.

Groot and Rocket Racoon are prime examples of characters that went to another level of popularity once they made their film debut.

The hard part though would be to figure out which of these like you say will hit the homerun and not the single?

Yes, but Disney will only push the marketing of the spider characters so far. Disney/Marvel have the license to feature the characters in animation and possibly TV (not sure how that works), but the movie rights to Miles, Silk and Gwen are still with Sony. And Sony has not proven they can make a good Spider movie since Spider-man 2.