• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Modern Characters Buy/Spec, Sell, or Hold
1 1

87 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I also look at Big Hero 6 and go well that hasn't worked out either.

They weren't really integrated into Marvel though. I think they had two issues of crossover with Spider-Man. 

The movie did well. They were planning on a second but I haven't heard anything in a while.

15 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Its how Bone became successful I think.

Bone was a big deal in in the early to mid 90s are far as the first prints go. Disney was pushing this title in the 90s and I can remember talking with my kids about these being available as Scholastic books in the mid to late 2000s. Scholastic possibly spread the popularity but this was an expensive #1 about a decade before Scholastic ever sold it.

3 hours ago, MadGenius said:

The monthly sales charts are quickly becoming irrelevant. More and more people are turning to digital and trades to consume comics. I've been collecting comics for a loooong time and my habits have definitely changed. I used to pull 20-30 books every month and now I only buy about 6 titles a month - those being the titles I want to collect. When you factor in digital sales and, more importantly, TPB sales the titles/characters that seem to generate no interest based on their position on the monthly sales charts suddenly look much more popular when viewed with a wider lens.

It seems unlikely that people who read electronically only are going to start searching for floppies the way old time collectors do/did. While there was a time when owning the floppy was the only way to read a previously printed book unless it was reprinted, it's not the case anymore.

Younger people seem less interested in "physically" owning things than we do/did. While there are still people who want CDs, albums, cassettes, most young people listen to YouTube or have a monthly subscription to unlimited music. Same with movies. People collected VHS, DVD, BluRay, etc. Same with magazines and novels. More and more people seem to be turning to digital. So while digital is definitely becoming more impactful as to the number of people reading comics it seems they'd rather carry their collections with them on a phone or tablet over a long box or 100 ? 

As for the Scholastic books causing young adults to seek their childhood readings ? My kids read Captain Underpants and could seem to care less as it appears is the view of most on ebay. Maybe this changes, maybe it doesn't, but it seems a heavy gamble to bet on it based on previous Scholastic books. 

It seems that more often than not, collectors are who they've always been. its why I'd bet on Miles. People have liked Spidey since he started. Ms or Captain Marvel have always been a tougher sell than most Spider-books. 

3 hours ago, the authority said:

Bone was a big deal in in the early to mid 90s are far as the first prints go. Disney was pushing this title in the 90s and I can remember talking with my kids about these being available as Scholastic books in the mid to late 2000s. Scholastic possibly spread the popularity but this was an expensive #1 about a decade before Scholastic ever sold it.

It seems unlikely that people who read electronically only are going to start searching for floppies the way old time collectors do/did. While there was a time when owning the floppy was the only way to read a previously printed book unless it was reprinted, it's not the case anymore.

Younger people seem less interested in "physically" owning things than we do/did. While there are still people who want CDs, albums, cassettes, most young people listen to YouTube or have a monthly subscription to unlimited music. Same with movies. People collected VHS, DVD, BluRay, etc. Same with magazines and novels. More and more people seem to be turning to digital. So while digital is definitely becoming more impactful as to the number of people reading comics it seems they'd rather carry their collections with them on a phone or tablet over a long box or 100 ? 

As for the Scholastic books causing young adults to seek their childhood readings ? My kids read Captain Underpants and could seem to care less as it appears is the view of most on ebay. Maybe this changes, maybe it doesn't, but it seems a heavy gamble to bet on it based on previous Scholastic books. 

It seems that more often than not, collectors are who they've always been. its why I'd bet on Miles. People have liked Spidey since he started. Ms or Captain Marvel have always been a tougher sell than most Spider-books. 

It's possible though. Hipsters jumped on the album buying wagon. They're even paying $25-30 for a new release album (shrug) Albums had been dead and buried for years to everyone except for long time collectors.

1. Miles Morales = Buy... 1st prints are still somewhat on the affordable level, and 2nd print variants should have some collectability.

2. Spider Gwen = Hold... I don't think they're quite at where they could be in terms of value, as this character should have serious legs. Plus, EOSV #2 first prints are already pretty expensive.

3. Silk = Sell... I never had much faith in this character's popularity, and the spike and quick decline of recent sales backs that up.

4. Kamala Khan = Hold... I'm not sure how much higher a CM #14 can go, but this crazy jump in value is holding pretty strong, much like Avenging Spiderman #9 did, and 9.8s are actually higher than that book, I think. The first appearance situation is so tricky, though... I've stayed clear of CM 17 2nd print, but that's the one to have, I suppose. ANMNPO #1 is an easy BUY right now, though. It's not hugely overprinted and not many in tip top shape (I own a dozen and none are 9.8 level).

On 7/6/2018 at 1:34 PM, fastballspecial said:

So this topic boils into discussion everywhere. We have 4 major characters in the modern era currently that are on the way up. They are the following below.
Don't suggest anyone else we are sticking to these 4 characters in this thread. Why? Because its my thread. :sumo:

1.) Miles Morales
2.) Spider Gwen
3.) Silk
4.) Kamala Khan

Now each are either a buy, sell, or hold and explain why.  Summarize your responses keep them somewhat sort as the attention span of the younger generation is you know short. lol

1.) Miles Morales (Hold wait and see, maybe sell a few to ride the wave, could have some longer term value)
2.) Spider Gwen (Sell sell sell) 
3.) Silk (Sell sell sell)
4.) Kamala Khan (Hold and wait, but very risky, nothing for certain is happening with her, I sold most of mine)

Edited by Rip

On 7/8/2018 at 9:32 PM, MadGenius said:

The monthly sales charts are quickly becoming irrelevant. More and more people are turning to digital and trades to consume comics.

Doesn't this then contradict the original OP's question about which comics to Buy/Sell/Spec or Hold?  Nobody is plopping down extra cash for an Ipad with a 'first appearance digital download' comic.   

18 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Doesn't this then contradict the original OP's question about which comics to Buy/Sell/Spec or Hold?  Nobody is plopping down extra cash for an Ipad with a 'first appearance digital download' comic.   

The future of the hobby is keys and trades/digital. Floppy sales will continue to trend downward because of a variety of factors: cost, accessibility, and storage. People still have a passion for the stories and the characters, they'll just consume them in a more cost effective way. Having the 1st appearance of the character (either raw or graded) plus a collection of trades or digital comics will become the norm as time goes on. 

1 hour ago, MadGenius said:

The future of the hobby is keys and trades/digital. Floppy sales will continue to trend downward because of a variety of factors: cost, accessibility, and storage. People still have a passion for the stories and the characters, they'll just consume them in a more cost effective way. Having the 1st appearance of the character (either raw or graded) plus a collection of trades or digital comics will become the norm as time goes on. 

I keep hearing that. How do you make money on digital comics? Subscription based? What happens to original art?

55 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I keep hearing that. How do you make money on digital comics? Subscription based? What happens to original art?

Will we be bidding on digital copies of original art? :nyah:  I know they do sell digital subscriptions already. Crazy thing is digital books are the same price as floppies.  

On 7/7/2018 at 12:40 PM, MadGenius said:

Kamala Khan's comic isn't going anywhere unless G. Willow Wilson decides to end it. Ms. Marvel doesn't sell a ton of floppies every month but she does VERY well in digital and TPB sales. Same reason why Squirrel Girl is nearing the 50 issue mark.

hm

G. WILLOW WILSON and CARY NORD Take Over WONDER WOMAN Ongoing