• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko has passed
4 4

167 posts in this topic

I am very saddened at this news and it comes after a posting last night by 1950's War were he posted a recent photo of the great man himself, I'm tearing up as I write this as it was such a surprise seeing him in the photo and he looked so well. It's funny that I joined this forum back in 2014 asking for Artists editions of his work and Gene Colan, I can't complain as I've made a few good friends along the way, his art will always inspire me.   he was the reason I dreamt about being a hero as a child and for real in my adult life when incidents happened were others turned their backs. I can look any man or woman in the eye without shame and declare " Within my power I took on great responsibility" Thank you Mr Ditko for inspiring me you will be missed RIP. WEBS AWAY!

s-l300.jpg

1f3e7e95e65b8876e9d86f1e0173b4dd--dr-strange-symbol-stained-glass.jpg

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Can’t get much more iconic than the co-creator of Spider-Man...

The truth is lost to the mists of time, no doubt, but I think it's pretty clear overall that Mr. Ditko himself didn't quite see it that way...

Edited by jools&jim

Saddened because the world of comics lost one of the true greats who gave us one of the most iconic and instantly recognized and unique art styles of all time.

Saddened because this man, who while he lived a long life, unfortunately was unable to take any pleasure in all love and appreciation comic book fans and professionals alike so wanted to shower on him.

And lastly, saddened because at the age of 90, in the midst of a heatwave, this beloved man... was found dead in his apartment apparently a few days after he had passed...  meaning no one had checked on him for a few days.  I know he never had children nor married, but still.  

The totality of all this just has me monumental sad.  Folks... check on your older parents, your grandparents... especially during difficult weather. 

And RIP Steve Ditko.  You were a true original.

Another master of the Silver Age has passed. Like others said I wished he had wanted to meet fans to see the impact his characters had on pop culture. 90 is a long life just hope it was situation where he went to bed and passed into peaceful sleep.  Good speed Steve.

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

It's a shame he became so reclusive.  Thousands of fanboys would have loved to have met him at CONS. 

That scenario would be a nightmare for certain personality types.

RIP DItko.