• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko has passed
4 4

167 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I agree. Those Rom issues were so much fun. They had that 1950s sci fi movies feel to it. I hope Zak Penn the "Ready One Player" scribe bases his Rom Hasbro movie writing gig on those issues.

What were the Ditko Rom issues?

6 hours ago, NoMan said:

What were the Ditko Rom issues?

I had to look this up.... 59-75.... various inkers, and not a single cover in the bunch. 

Edited by s.krank
(+Annual 4)

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Surprised that no-one's posted examples of Ditko's excellent black-and-white artwork from the early Warren magazines...

8787618c6217326e2348f92e180127ff.jpg

Image+(10).jpg

Image+(14).jpg

Look at those demons in the Splash page only Ditko could give a solid life to mist.<3 Thanks Ken for posting, are these pages reprinted anywhere in full size? I still want my Artist edition of Steve's work, let's start a petition: Scott we want it (them) yesterday!

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

Look at those demons in the Splash page only Ditko could give a solid life to mist.<3 Thanks Ken for posting, are these pages reprinted anywhere in full size? I still want my Artist edition of Steve's work, let's start a petition: Scott we want it (them) yesterday!

That would be quite something.

Absolutely perfect for an Artist’s Edition.

On 7/23/2018 at 3:01 AM, NoMan said:

My wife works with his niece. He has several brothers and sisters. According to niece Steve lived with his sister in nyc and they were very close. When sister died Steve was heartbroken and went downhill fast. Also according to niece Steve began mailing his brother (nieces dad) large amounts of his artwork starting around a year and a half ago. What Steve wanted brother to do with artwork is unknown to me. 

When my wife introduced me to niece she encouraged me to  continue to write to him (as I had been doing for about, I dunno, a year at that point) which I did. Ditko s responses were generally all over the place. Sometimes mean, sometimes nice. 

If I had to gamble how AF15 OA got to Smithsonian, I believe Brother gave it to them not MS. Niece did mention that Ditko got very angry at his brother over something with art.  I believe it to be this. Of course. I could be wrong. 

I was traveling around Eastern Europe when heard news Ditko died  I was in a tiny village in Transylvania and went outside and saw a villager kid in Spiderman shirt.  Kinda hit home the mass power of Ditkos work  

just got back tonight and wife has not been back to work.  If it’s appropriate I’ll give my condolences to niece and report back if anyone’s interested  

I  think you are wrong.  I thought the AF 15 artwork was part of the batch that had been stolen from Marvel along with other early Marvel art, like the X-Men art that occasionally pops up on Heritage, and which has been filtering through the "underground" original art market for years.  I don't know if I read it at the time, but I thought someone who'd bought the stolen artwork had found their moral compass and decided to send it to an institution for posterity.  

I've heard several versions of the art theft story.  One version has the art being sold by the thief to a comic shop only a few blocks from Marvel's NYC offices.  Another is this:

Around 1971-72, the Guy who ran Marvelmania had Marvel send him a stack of original art. The idea was that he would stat it to make posters and promotional materials. However, the Guy ended up using it in lieu of salary to pay the kids who worked for him. This art included pages from Journey into Mystery #83, Spider-Man #20 and #51 (not Kirby, but hey, Ditko and Romita are nice) and various Kirby/Sinnott Fantastic Four books. Then he took the balance of the art and sold it to a comic book shop in Hollywood. One collector I talked to remembers seeing Kirby pre-hero monster pages gathering dust there. I myself have seen a page from Tales of Suspense #92 that has the "Marvelmania" stamp on the back.

The big mystery continues to be:  Who is the scum who is sitting on the covers of Amazing Adventures #1-6, Amazing Fantasy #15, Avengers #1-15, Fantastic Four #1-39, Hulk #1-6, Journey into Mystery #52-115, Rawhide Kid #17-47, Sgt. Fury #1-20, Strange Tales #68-135, Tales of Suspense #4-67, Tales to Astonish #1-66 and X-Men #1-12.  Interior art for all of these issues is known to have survived (and popped up at Heritage, etc.), covers were no destroyed by the printers but mailed back to Marvel with the interiors, yet these covers are all still being hidden by the scumbag who stole them or the scumbag who bought the stolen goods.

Edited by sfcityduck