• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko has passed....

45 posts in this topic

Leaving no known family, according to this article...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/steve-ditko-dead-spider-man-creator-was-90-1125489

Rest in Peace....

Edited by comix4fun

Ah, this is sad.  What a talent and what an enigma. 

I believe the article is incorrect -- he has relatives, just no descendents that we know of.  I recall relatively recent photos of him at a niece's wedding.  I think. 

19 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Ah, this is sad.  What a talent and what an enigma. 

I believe the article is incorrect -- he has relatives, just no descendents that we know of.  I recall relatively recent photos of him at a niece's wedding.  I think. 

I thought I remembered hearing that one of his siblings had kids....so you're probably right. 

Very sad news. He was a unique artist and man. While many know him as the co-creator of Spider-Man he also was responsible for co-creating many other characters including Question, the Creeper, Shade, the Changing Man, and Hawk and Dove. He has been a virtual recluse for decades but continued to produce comics. He will be missed.
My only Ditko artwork I own. Beware The Creeper #4 page 19 pencils and inks by Steve. Always preferred his Creeper over Spider-Man it fit him better artistically.

Beware The Creeper #4 page 19.jpg

Sad news.  Marched to the beat of his own drum for his whole life it seems.

His body of work at Marvel was quite short but there's no doubt that to this day it defined Marvel Comics and him as an artist.

If anything, his impact as an independent creator might be larger than the superhero work he did at Marvel and DC. He was a trailblazer in so many ways, and still cranking out great art even in just the last couple years.

And at the risk of dredging up an old debate, I have a hard time believing "With Great Power comes Great Responsibility" wasn't written by the emerging Randian on Spiderman's creative team.

Its impossible to over-state his legacy, really, and he did a large chunk of it on his terms.

Sad times.  One of my heroes, Harlan Ellison, passed away in recent weeks . . . now Steve Ditko.  

Link to an array of photographs I took of the Steve Ditko Artwork Exhibition in Palma, Spain, during 2016:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=178300

Edited by The Voord

8 hours ago, theflashunc said:

If anything, his impact as an independent creator might be larger than the superhero work he did at Marvel and DC. He was a trailblazer in so many ways, and still cranking out great art even in just the last couple years.

And at the risk of dredging up an old debate, I have a hard time believing "With Great Power comes Great Responsibility" wasn't written by the emerging Randian on Spiderman's creative team.

Its impossible to over-state his legacy, really, and he did a large chunk of it on his terms.

Nope. That line was all Stan Lee. An Objectivist would never say that. (Not sure Ditko was one by that point, anyway). 

Edited by PhilipB2k17