• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How quickly does CGC update their key issue list?

17 posts in this topic

I have a couple books that have come out in the last couple weeks that I wanted to get graded for my own collection like Venom #3 (first appearance of Knull) and Teen Titans Special #1 (first cameo?  or first appearance of Crush), etc.  But if I were to get them graded and have them come back without any key comments on it, it would bother me.  Anyone have any idea how quickly their database gets updated?

On 7/6/2018 at 8:08 PM, cowboynightshift said:

I have a couple books that have come out in the last couple weeks that I wanted to get graded for my own collection like Venom #3 (first appearance of Knull) and Teen Titans Special #1 (first cameo?  or first appearance of Crush), etc.  But if I were to get them graded and have them come back without any key comments on it, it would bother me.  Anyone have any idea how quickly their database gets updated?

took them like 4-5 months for teen titans 12 to say 1st bwl

Solid question.  I've wondered the same thing.  Can always get it regraded in the future if in a rush to get it slabbed but in situations like these, i'll just hold onto them for a while until I know it'll be on the label and the price actually jumps enough for me to justify getting it slabbed.

Agree, great question. It's kind of a wait and see kind of thing. As seen in the Action #1000 threads, Action #1000 slabs don't say "1st appearance of Rogol Zaar" yet, especially the Jim Lee variants which has the character on the cover. So it's up to you if you want to take the risk or wait until you see that CGC gets on it and updates the label. 

:$

This is my biggest compliant about CGC. I wish they had one assigned person to update the labels, isn't that hard and Voldemort does a very good job at it.

They could hire a writer or outsource a part-time writer to update the labels, I could easily do this in my spare time!

Edited by 1p36DSA

6 hours ago, Eric C. said:

Solid question.  I've wondered the same thing.  Can always get it regraded in the future if in a rush to get it slabbed but in situations like these, i'll just hold onto them for a while until I know it'll be on the label and the price actually jumps enough for me to justify getting it slabbed.

I'm just impatient and want it immediately just to add it to my collection, regardless of value, haha.

1 hour ago, 1p36DSA said:

This is my biggest compliant about CGC. I wish they had one assigned person to update the labels, isn't that hard and Voldemort does a very good job at it.

They could hire a writer or outsource a part-time writer to update the labels, I could easily to this in my spare time!

Right?  I'd be down to do it too.  I think there are enough resources out there with solid information about first appearances and stuff that CGC could refer to for quick database updates.  Also doing that as a little part-time gig would be pretty fun.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Your biggest complaint is something that doesn't matter at all?

No matter what CGC puts on the label, the contents of the issue won't change.

I have to say it: You youngsters should listen to Lazyboy. :sumo:  He knows what do.

10 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Your biggest complaint is something that doesn't matter at all?

No matter what CGC puts on the label, the contents of the issue won't change.

It effects the value and the market perception. Just like Overstreet used to. Sorry not everyone can read every comic nor has the funds to buy every comic that comes out.

On 7/6/2018 at 5:08 PM, cowboynightshift said:

Yep, the first appearance of Knull and the first cameo appearance of Crush is really gonna blow my skirt up . . . :eyeroll: Perhaps, it's a good idea to wait and see who or what develops as significant in the universe of things? Nah! Who wants to do that. :sumo:

21 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

They could hire a writer or outsource a part-time writer to update the labels, I could easily do this in my spare time!

CGC 9.8's are presold in the marketplace. The submissions come in virtually on Day 1 of release. Logistically, how would this be handled ? Should CGC hold off on encapsulation until the labels are ready ? I'm not arguing against the concept but if it affects TAT, they will probably get more complaints than compliments.

1 hour ago, divad said:

Yep, the first appearance of Knull and the first cameo appearance of Crush is really gonna blow my skirt up . . . :eyeroll: Perhaps, it's a good idea to wait and see who or what develops as significant in the universe of things? Nah! Who wants to do that. :sumo:

The movement of your skirt isn’t something I’m interested in.  I am however excited about some of these new characters being created right now and enjoy having them in my collection regardless of whether they’ll develop into something really significant.  And if I were to get the books graded for MY collection then I’d like to have the key comments updated.

2 hours ago, divad said:

Apparently, These Guys Do! I never knew that there were six different kinds of 1st Apps for every character. meh

:facepalm: I just vomited. I can only stand the sight of so much krap at once. :sick:

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

It effects the value and the market perception. Just like Overstreet used to. Sorry not everyone can read every comic nor has the funds to buy every comic that comes out.

Then they should find a reliable source for that information (hint: CGC doesn't qualify).

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm: I just vomited. I can only stand the sight of so much krap at once. :sick:

Then they should find a reliable source for that information (hint: CGC doesn't qualify).

I agree. There are labels that I disagree with, but that doesn't change the value on the current market.

Inquired with CGC directly and received this response: 

When a new character is first introduced, it may take some time for their first appearance to be added to the CGC database/labels. Some factors depend on how "important" the character is, and if there is a clear agreement among fandom on which comic actually is the first appearance.

Also, with so many publishers producing so many titles, each with so many characters, it is impossible to tell which character will grow in popularity and perhaps have their own fanbase, as opposed to other characters who might appear a few times, get poor feedback, and never appear again.

Your best bet, is that when you submit one of your comics that you think warrants a particular key comment, write it on a post-it note and then attach the post-it to the book's bag or mylar.  For instance, you or someone else may write for BATMAN #43 "Please indicate first appearance of Mr. Bloom."  This will let the graders know that there is something in the interior story that at least a few customers think is worthy of being noted on the label. They can then confirm, research, debate, etc, the info requested and assuming there are no problems, add the info to the CGC label.