• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #33 Cover Different Colors?
2 2

131 posts in this topic

I get all that.  But if comics were such a great venue for toy advertising, they would have had a lot more ad pages.  There were other slicker kids publications back then too.  And remember too that comics were everywhere, but very few of us read them regularly.  I only ever had a handful of friends who collected.  A small number. Comics were definitely NOT cool the older you got.  Readership picked up in the summertime with free time, camp etc.. but in the sixties, comics were sell8ng less and not in the mainstream as much as we might like to remember them being. 

The price of the toys being expensive really has little to do with buying ads in comics.  That money bought TV ads. That’s where the kids were. Not reading funnybooks,  shunned by parents and cool friends! 

Edited by Aman619

20 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

The price of the toys being expensive really has little to do with buying ads in comics.  That money bought TV ads. That’s where the kids were. Not reading funnybooks,  shunned by parents and cool friends! 

I did both---TV and comics. And I'd like to think I was one of the cool people, too! lol But after reading this thread, I suppose Ditko was right...it's all inconsequential now, no matter how interesting it is. All I know for sure is that some of these books are a lot scarcer than others, for whatever reason. I would guess that Stan probably knows, but from what I hear, he's got much bigger problems than this...

5 hours ago, Aman619 said:

I've got loads of family pictures. My father and uncles as children. Seems to me that every toy, bike, or game that they're photographed playing with or riding on when kids in the 60s, I can find on the back cover of the Silver age Marvels of the day. I remember inheriting a lot of late Bronze, early copper age books from older cousins as a kid, I'd see something on the back cover and have to have it, or want to have it if my parents couldn't afford it.

5 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Obviously, if the major toy manufacturers of the day usually occupied the back cover and ads inside as well, they couldn't have thought that advertising in comic books was inconsequential.

I can't aver that I know what all of the advertisers were thinking when they bought ad space. I spoke to an ex-advertising guy who worked for Marvel. We can argue that he didn't know what he was talking about, or I don't know what I'm talking about. But the very appearance of their ads in comic books should be proof enough that major toy manufacturers did think that buying space in comics for their products was viable. Or they wouldn't have spent the money, over and over and over and over and over again. .

Edited by James J Johnson

yes  obviously running toy ads in comics were a part of their budget. But they spread the money around, and Im saying that comics advertising was steady but a smaller part of the mfg. entire marketing budgets due to its limited reach and effectiveness.  But definitely part of the equation.  Circulation was a few 100,000 even for the top sellers: Superman, Batman.  (Marvels were way behind until 1968 iirc...  didn't Spidey FINALLY catch DC in the 70s at the earliest?

1960 top selling comics:    http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/postaldata/1960.html

1965 top selling comics:   http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/postaldata/1965.html

1967 Top selling comics:  http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/postaldata/1967.html

Marvel vs DC Sales in the 1960s:  http://zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/comic_sales.html

16 hours ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

I never paid much attention to the colours or shades of the blues, greys or reds til this post but the colours on my 9.8 stand out.:cloud9:

HPIM0293.JPG

HPIM0294.JPG

You've got a beauty there...not only the colors, but the alignment of the cover. (worship)

On 7/12/2018 at 10:47 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Interesting thread :)

I think the ASM #46 insert you're remembering is this one Aman:

1604473744_Eye1.thumb.jpg.5e68a9b7feaf3889860bcbec1740adfb.jpg  1404182323_Eye3.thumb.JPG.26031251c48aa2181aadf75db7220956.JPG

It was only in Eye magazine as far as I'm aware and not in 'Esquire' as indicated in Overstreet and certainly not in any newspapers.
@James J Johnson

There's a graded copy of this in the present Comic Link auction, a 6.5, highest graded of 11 copies.  So far up to $413!

8 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

There's a graded copy of this in the present Comic Link auction, a 6.5, highest graded of 11 copies.  So far up to $413!

Blimey,  that's a price! Good spot Dr. Love

I see CGC and Comiclink both refer to Esquire magazine in the listing / CGC label. Will that myth ever die....

Screenshot_20180920-093454_Chrome.thumb.jpg.da1aeca23415b540171306c2b9a2b204.jpg

Shame it has to be encased sideways to fit the case

00139091565000110355742004.thumb.jpg.3739d3c0b5ae08e5405303fa6375c268.jpg